Quantcast

First Pumpkin Beer of the Fall

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Pumpkin beer = :dead:

Not a big fan.

On the other hand, Oktoberfest is out! Picked up sixers of Sam Adams and Saranac this past weekend. :)

And pics are always needed. :picsstfu:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I like the beer...

From left to right, Autumn Ale with Blueberries and Cinnamon, Belgian style Wit, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Irish Red Ale

L->R again, Scottish Ale, Oktoberfest

L->R again, Yeast Culture, Drunken Monkey Pilsner (II)

And a pile of growlers from Magic Hat, there are more in both the beer fridge and the food fridge too.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Do you drink beer for a living? How do you keep up to make sure its still fresh?
Keep it out of direct sunlight and minimize temperature shifts. The stuff in growlers is in cardboard boxes in the basement or in a fridge. Once it's opened and exposed to air it needs to get finished within a couple of days or it can go stale. The stuff I brew I stagger so that I've always got a couple on tap and a couple on deck, it's all about scheduling and if I start running into tight schedules I'll bottle some and give it away to friends and family.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I guess I do have a bit of a surplus...I should have a beer party when these last few are ready to drink.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Keep it out of direct sunlight and minimize temperature shifts. The stuff in growlers is in cardboard boxes in the basement or in a fridge. Once it's opened and exposed to air it needs to get finished within a couple of days or it can go stale. The stuff I brew I stagger so that I've always got a couple on tap and a couple on deck, it's all about scheduling and if I start running into tight schedules I'll bottle some and give it away to friends and family.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I guess I do have a bit of a surplus...I should have a beer party when these last few are ready to drink.

Yeah, especially with that bourbon porter laying around :cheers:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
i grabbed a six of the smuttynose pumpkin ale...excellent!! it was the winner of my blind taste test last year, out of 6 tried.
This is on my list to try ASAP.

So far, I have sampled Saranac Pumpkin (eh, it was good, but I know there are better ones out there) and another from the local Saratoga Brewery that was good. I'll have to look at the bottle at home to put the name up.

Also left to try: Dogfish & Blue Moon Pumpkin Ales.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yeah, especially with that bourbon porter laying around :cheers:
Yeah, knowing your taste in bourbon, you'd probably love this porter. It's got some charred oak chunks in the secondary fermenter along with 16oz of Eagle Rare 12yr. Single Barrel, it was tasty before I added those, I'll let you know in 6 weeks how it finishes off.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Dogfish Pumpkin is excellent.

I don't think they make any bad beers. If they do they don't get shipped.
i'd say that they don't make any *run of the mill* beers...some of the ones i've had weren't all that successful, imo (au currant, raison d'etre, jaihu, immort ale, etc).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Yeah, knowing your taste in bourbon, you'd probably love this porter. It's got some charred oak chunks in the secondary fermenter along with 16oz of Eagle Rare 12yr. Single Barrel, it was tasty before I added those, I'll let you know in 6 weeks how it finishes off.
:drool: Let me know....I am thinking ROADTRIP! ;)