Quantcast

First real ride on the Inbred Single Speed!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mine went a little something like this - sorry for the run on sentence, I tried to recap it how I experienced it.

Got home from work and the rain had stopped so I hopped on the Inbred and went out for a single speed ride. Out the driveway, down the street, left at the stop sign, down the hill, left at the next dead end street and up into the trails, down some singletrack, around the bend, up some single track, across some double track, up some single track - walk up a bit more, turn around, and come back down, hang a right through a stream, and back up some rocky trail, take a right, climb, climb, climb, walk walk walk, ride ride ride - think to myself - this bike f'ing rocks - keep pedalling - then hang a right onto some really rocky babyhead infested fire road dealio - find a right into some more singletrack, haul ass through that section and catch air of a rock (gotta use my legs for suspension), and then back onto the fire road - think to myself, these big wheels kick butt through these rocks - fireroad ends - back onto pavement, fly down Old Taine Mountain Road - wooooohoooo!!! - hit the brakes, hang a left and then a quick right onto an unfinished section of the Farmington River Trail - ride that trying to push myself until it ends at Rt 177, take a right and climb up and up - need to adjust the angle of these Mary bars - and then hang a right onto Burlington Road - haul ass on the pavement and then work hard on a short steep climb up to my street. Grunt Grunt Grunt - made it! Spin around a bit to cool down. Yes!

I then chilled out a bit, ate a bit, and watched the BBall game. Stopped to do a variety of push ups and sit ups during commercial and time out breaks.

Overall a kickass Monday night!

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
I'm wondering, how 29ers sizing go.

I ride a 18" 26er and would like to get a 29er but don't know which size will be best.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
What gearing did you decide to go with? I'm running 32/18 and it seems a bit tough for some of the trails in these parts ( although the 2.4 tires probably don't help either....)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My gearing is 32:20 on the 29er wheels.

As for sizing - it seems like I can ride bikes with a longer ETT with the 29" wheels than I can with 26" wheels.

I think the ETT on this 18" inbred is 23.75" or so and I'm normally a 23 or 23.5" ETT kinda guy.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sweet :thumb: I am currently on the hunt for a new SS frame for Sq-Earl. He likes the versatility of the Kona Explosif (could run gears if he got into a race and wanted them). Any other suggestions?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah - I'm really glad I got the 18" frame size too! Fits great!
how tall are you? i'm looking at getting this or possibly the 456 geared version. At 6'1" I am torn between the 18 and the 20. I want something more XC than my current HT (a 17" IH Bakuto). However, I hate the feel of a tall XC bike and 20" of seat tube seems like too much. Maybe an 18" with a layback is the answer.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm 5'9" tall and run my 18" Inbred 29er with a 75mm Titec Stem and a Salsa Promoto Flat bar - 5 degree sweep. Would like to try the 11 degree sweep version at some point though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd compare effective top tube lengths and base your decision on those numbers. The Inbreds have nice sloping top tubes so standover isn't an issue IMO.

TRON

Chimp
Jun 5, 2006
how tall are you? i'm looking at getting this or possibly the 456 geared version. At 6'1" I am torn between the 18 and the 20.
I really like my 18 456 and i'm 6'