Quantcast

First Ride: 2013 Specialized Enduro Expert Carbon

webmonkey365

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
Sorry for the lag in responding. I've been in the desert testing bikes for our upcoming Bible of Bike Tests and am just now settling back into normal life after 3 weeks on the road.

Actually, the new Enduro is damn close to the Stumpy EVO on climbs. Damn close. It is an absolute night-and-day difference from the old Enduro (which is one of my favorite bikes due to its outrageously confident descending manners). This new Enduro makes prior Enduros look positively sluggish on the climbs, yet still kills it on the descents. This is going to be a very, very hard bike to beat in the all-mountain category.

There are guys out there getting this new rig down to a crazy-light 26 pounds (with a Lyrik up front). That is amazing. My older Enduro is 29.5 pounds and I consider that quite light for a bike that can be (with care and finesse) ridden at bike parks. In short, you can build this thing up to weigh as little as a Stumpy EVO, with no sacrificing on the descents. Of course, the price tag is steep, but that holds true for so many bikes these days....

Fred111

Chimp
Jan 1, 2013
A couple of years ago I picked the Enduro Expert Carbon as my favorite ride. The reason was simple: the bike absolutely slays it on the descents. Sure, other models outclimbed the Enduro (Rocky Mountain Slayer and Yeti SB66c, I’m talking about you two right here), but the Enduro’s tight wheelbase, low-slung bottom bracket and incredibly supple suspension make me stupid and giddy whenever I point the sucker down something stupid and steep.