Quantcast

first ride in forever complete with chain issues.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
So I went on my first ride around campus since I broke my leg and I noticed that my bike has some strange issues. It seems almost like there is a tight link in my chain but when i check it there isnt, sometimes it just seems like the chain doesnt want to advance. I am running an xt hub with the gusset single speed kit with a 14-32(i think) gear ratio. Any suggestions?

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Is your chain greased/rusty at all?
Hows your chain tension?
Have you checked the bottom bracket?
Notice where the tight spot occurs and see if it always occurs when the crankarms are in a specific position, if that is the case then it might be your BB. If not then mark a link on your chain and if the tight spot occurs when that link is at a specific place every time then its probably the chain.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
yeah the chain is pretty fubar'ed someone borrowed it and didnt lube it, but i kinda remember it doing this before. It doesnt happen every crank revolution but its every three or so. Seems like maybe the hub and the bottom bracket are just a little off and when they hit the right stop the chain gets more tension. The thing is I have some pretty burly cranks (wethepeople) and I have never really abused the bike yet cause I broke my leg. Is there an easy was to check bottom bracket.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'd start by checking the chainline, rotate the crankarms around a few times to see where the chainline is when you are feeling the most tension, if its not off then I'd suggest taking the chain off and rotating the crankarms around a few times to see if it still has the same problem. If it doesn't have a problem then take your rear wheel of the dropouts and see if it has any problems spinning freely. If neither of these show any issues it might just be a small problem with your BB/rear hub compounded by a bad chain.