Quantcast

First ride report - Yeti AS-R

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I got the new ride rolling, took it out for a 5 mile ride today. It's built up for pretty much pure XC racing, XTR front & rear der's, Truvative Stylo cranks, ISIS drive BB, King HS, and I have a few more things on the way to lighten it up a little more. The only thing that's not on the lighter side is the Fox Vanilla fork but I really like this fork so I can live with the weight penalty. This is probably the best fitting, most comfortable bike I've owned. Contrary to the mag reviews and most of the mtbr reviews (half of them are nearly word for word from the mags anyway) I found it very capable in tight stuff. It's very stable at speed as well. The only negative thing I found was that the frame is just a little on the flexy side. Not as bad as my last race frame but still noticable. The rear suspension is excellent, just about right for XC at 3.7". I didn't try riding in lockout today but really only because I forgot it has lockout, I'm used to riding a Bullit or a HT on XC trips.

I would rate it (1-10):

9 - quality
8 - suspension
10 - comfort
6 - rigidity
7 - value

I bought the frame from Trailblazers in NY (good people, give them your business), and I got a good price on it, but I really don't think I would pay the normal $1850 for it. Then again, I'm not sure I would pay that much for any frame (short of the new Demo 9 ;) )

Attachments

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Originally posted by Echo
Looks like a sweet build! Is there any good riding to be had in your neck of the woods in Feb?
Beleive it or not, "tis the season" for riding around here. We did get snow a couple days ago but not so much here, in Tulsa they got 9" in places. I live in eastern OK and about half-way between the Tulsa trails and the (even better in some cases), Arkansas Ozark mountain trails. We do ride here in summer but the ticks, briers, heat, and poison ivy get so bad that some times we have to lower ourselves and resort to road riding hehe.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congrats on the new bike. Flexy huh? I'm thinking of getting a lockout on my new Dean bike.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Originally posted by Heidi
Congrats on the new bike. Flexy huh? I'm thinking of getting a lockout on my new Dean bike.
That's about my only complaint, the slightly flexy frame. But now after 200 miles or so and a couple epics I can say I am used to it, and it can even be used to your advantage in technical stuff. I'm coming off of a Bullit and a Cove hardtail, probably two of the stiffest frames out there though so it's probably not a fair comparison. Once I got used to the feel of it I found I could sorta "bend" it through rough slow stuff. I have ridden worse, but it could be better. Otherwise it's a great bike. Perfect geometry for XC in my opinion and excellent quality...