Quantcast

first single speed

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
hey guys
i want to build my first single speed but i am not sure what parts to use to do it. i know theres a bunch of different tensionors (sp) but i dont know which one is the right one. also im not sure what gear ratio to go with. i just want something that is going to be easy to ride on the street as well as the trails. o yeah the frame i am using is a haro escape 8.1 so it has vertical dropouts. thanks for any help Brandon

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
2:1 ratio is a good start. Wide riser bars will help with leverage. Paul makes a good tensioner, the cheap ones are crap. You should also think about using an old rear derailleur, it works really well. A 32:16 is a good, easy to find gear combo. Any spacers for your hub will work fine as long as the chainline is straight (I'm assuming it's a cassette wheel)

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
yeah it is a cassette wheel. the 32:16 ratio is what i am going o start with i did a little reading over at mtbr. as for tenisor i was looking at the dmr at unreal cycle and also the single speed conversion from gusset at unreal cycle. has anyone had any experiance with them

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Gusset kit is good, but you may want to look into Spot brand spacers because they're smaller so you can fine tune your chainline.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I am still a firm believer in not using tensioners, got your self an ENO eccentric and have it built into a rear wheel (if you don't like SS you can sell the wheel easily on Ebay) Back in my early days of SSing I tried tensioners and had some problems in rough conditions, and braking the tension spring. a friend had the same issues and he resolved them by removing the spring and using a hose clamp on the tensioner, therefore not having tension..

The Eno Hub really works, is quality made and will give you miles of SS Fun....

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Check out the Rennen Rollenlager, I think it is the best design/value out on the market. I hear it is super reliable. The Paul Components Melvin is also nice, but about $25 more. You can experiment with "magic ratios" whereby, you get a few rings and cogs, and maybe a half link. This way you do not need to get a tensioner. The ENO is a nice option, yet $$.
So in order of $:
$Rings, cogs, experimenting (if you have access to bunch or parts/friends with parts)
$-$$ Tensioner
$$$ ENO

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
The Redline is a nice bike, but it uses BMX hubs so you need to remember spacing issues if you want to upgrade wheelsets.
The Kona unit is a good buy, as is the Solo-One from KHS. I had one of these for my first True SS it rocked for the price(like $550)
also check out IRO Cycle there Highlander is a sweet deal....

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Another excellent super-cheap option of chain tensioning is a BMX chain and a half-link. I've been running this on a commuter bike I ride almost every day and has hundreds of miles. Not sure how it would hold up off road, though.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My first SS is nearly complete. I'm using a Gusset 1er kit and running 32t x 18t right now. The Gusset kit comes with 18t & 16t cogs so I can switch to the 16t if I want to. I have horizontal dropouts so I've got a Surly Tugnut to keep my chain tension as I have a std. QR rear axle right now.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
BikeGeek said:
New Redlines are 135mm, same as other MTBs.
If thats the fact then the Redline is a super deal!
If I was in the market to try out SSing that would be an excellent purchase, as it seems to be a very nice low priced bike.