Quantcast

first single speed

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by BrandonWatts, Nov 7, 2005.

1. BrandonWatts

BrandonWatts Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    hey guys
    i want to build my first single speed but i am not sure what parts to use to do it. i know theres a bunch of different tensionors (sp) but i dont know which one is the right one. also im not sure what gear ratio to go with. i just want something that is going to be easy to ride on the street as well as the trails. o yeah the frame i am using is a haro escape 8.1 so it has vertical dropouts. thanks for any help Brandon

#1 -   Nov 7, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    2:1 ratio is a good start. Wide riser bars will help with leverage. Paul makes a good tensioner, the cheap ones are crap. You should also think about using an old rear derailleur, it works really well. A 32:16 is a good, easy to find gear combo. Any spacers for your hub will work fine as long as the chainline is straight (I'm assuming it's a cassette wheel)

#2 -   Nov 7, 2005
  3. BrandonWatts

BrandonWatts Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    yeah it is a cassette wheel. the 32:16 ratio is what i am going o start with i did a little reading over at mtbr. as for tenisor i was looking at the dmr at unreal cycle and also the single speed conversion from gusset at unreal cycle. has anyone had any experiance with them

#3 -   Nov 7, 2005
  4. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The Gusset kit is good, but you may want to look into Spot brand spacers because they're smaller so you can fine tune your chainline.

#4 -   Nov 8, 2005
  5. Angus

Angus Jack Ass Pen Goo Win

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I am still a firm believer in not using tensioners, got your self an ENO eccentric and have it built into a rear wheel (if you don't like SS you can sell the wheel easily on Ebay) Back in my early days of SSing I tried tensioners and had some problems in rough conditions, and braking the tension spring. a friend had the same issues and he resolved them by removing the spring and using a hose clamp on the tensioner, therefore not having tension..

The Eno Hub really works, is quality made and will give you miles of SS Fun....

#5 -   Nov 8, 2005
  6. Meat Foot

Meat Foot Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Check out the Rennen Rollenlager, I think it is the best design/value out on the market. I hear it is super reliable. The Paul Components Melvin is also nice, but about $25 more. You can experiment with "magic ratios" whereby, you get a few rings and cogs, and maybe a half link. This way you do not need to get a tensioner. The ENO is a nice option, yet $$.
    So in order of $:
    $Rings, cogs, experimenting (if you have access to bunch or parts/friends with parts)
    $-$$ Tensioner
    $$$ ENO

#6 -   Nov 8, 2005
  7. BMXman

BMXman I wish I was Canadian

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Redline offers a complete SS for under $600 and it's under 23lbs...D

#7 -   Nov 9, 2005
  8. Echo

Echo crooked smile

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    The Kona Unit complete is about that same price too I think... dunno if it's under 23 lb though.

#8 -   Nov 9, 2005
  9. Angus

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    The Redline is a nice bike, but it uses BMX hubs so you need to remember spacing issues if you want to upgrade wheelsets.
    The Kona unit is a good buy, as is the Solo-One from KHS. I had one of these for my first True SS it rocked for the price(like $550)
    also check out IRO Cycle there Highlander is a sweet deal....

#9 -   Nov 9, 2005
  10. ghostrider

ghostrider 7034 miles, still no custom title

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    Another excellent super-cheap option of chain tensioning is a BMX chain and a half-link. I've been running this on a commuter bike I ride almost every day and has hundreds of miles. Not sure how it would hold up off road, though.

11. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 423
    Sram makes a PC-1. It's a SS chain. Sq-Earl has one right now on his Cowan and I have one waiting on the bench.

12. BikeGeek

BikeGeek BrewMonkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 50
    New Redlines are 135mm, same as other MTBs.

13. McGRP01

McGRP01 beer and bikes

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    My first SS is nearly complete. I'm using a Gusset 1er kit and running 32t x 18t right now. The Gusset kit comes with 18t & 16t cogs so I can switch to the 16t if I want to. I have horizontal dropouts so I've got a Surly Tugnut to keep my chain tension as I have a std. QR rear axle right now.

14. Softy

Softy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    dmr STS hands down. 1/8" chain 1/2 link endless king or Boone cogs and Salsa rings . Chain guide bash gaurd ??? huh what are those ?

15. Angus

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    If thats the fact then the Redline is a super deal!
    If I was in the market to try out SSing that would be an excellent purchase, as it seems to be a very nice low priced bike.

16. BikeGeek

BikeGeek BrewMonkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 50
    Full Specs :thumb: