Quantcast

@@@First this, then that gmt@@@

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

TV died last night, after 12 years of flawless operation. Guess I'll now be TV shopping.

"Hypothetical" scenario: You get to your car after checking out at a grocery store that has adopted self-checkout, only to realize you honestly forgot to ring up an item. Do you go back in and pay for it? Consider it the cost of doing business and leave guilt free? Compensate for the error your next trip?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Mornin!

TV died last night, after 12 years of flawless operation. Guess I'll now be TV shopping.

"Hypothetical" scenario: You get to your car after checking out at a grocery store that has adopted self-checkout, only to realize you honestly forgot to ring up an item. Do you go back in and pay for it? Consider it the cost of doing business and leave guilt free? Compensate for the error your next trip?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mornin!

i figure it evens out the times you pay for something and the bagger doesn't put it into the bag and you don't realize it until you get home

Mornin!

I won't use self-checkout on a bet. It's costing someone a job.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mornin!

I've done that by accident. I was on the phone, Hannah was playing on the scale, and I kept scanning my stuff. The kid fixed the error and we moved on. I didn't realize that we had scanned last the entire cart, without a actually scanning it, until afterwards. $120 later, fuck it, I'm busy. And might* ring up organic veggies as regular on occasion*. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I read that at the time it was published, but it seems to focus mostly on people who intend to shoplift, and their technique/rationale for doing so. This, of course, is not that, but an honest mistake.

I always choose to go to a checkout with a person if possible, out of principle. It is a small gesture, but if it maintains demand for a human cashier and helps save a job, well, that's good by me.

i figure it evens out the times you pay for something and the bagger doesn't put it into the bag and you don't realize it until you get home
Fair point. I can get on board with that.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That's going to be a nope from me dawg. I just *know* that some inattentive pumper would put gas in my truck (fun fact, you are responsible for making sure they dispense the correct fuel) and irreparably damage the engine.
So you do pump your own gas. By JBP logic, you're taking away someone's job

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So you do pump your own gas. By JBP logic, you're taking away someone's job
That is such a US thing. As long as I can remember you have to pump your own gas in Europe. The majority of gas stations here in Denmark do not even have an attendant, just pumps with credit card readers attached to them.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That is such a US thing. As long as I can remember you have to pump your own gas in Europe. The majority of gas stations here in Denmark do not even have an attendant, just pumps with credit card readers attached to them.
As it should be, IMO

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
In Oregon gasoline is pumped by an attendant. Diesel you pump yourself. No mix ups.

I have gotten used to it and now hate getting gas in states where i have to get out of my car in the heat / cold and touch the filthy pump handle and gas cap. :preciouslittleprincess:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Get an OLED, my bro

About 2" of slushy snow in my neighborhood. Roads were fine in Nokian-shod minivan.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
And yet in France, even the machines get paid holidays. I remember finishing up a road trip there on Christmas day one time, and not being to fill up because the machines were closed for the statutory holiday. :doh:led to some very anxious kilometers and the discovery of hyper-miling techniques...

In other news, both my boys are home today waiting on test result for the youngest. One runny nose and neither can go to school. (Which I totally get, no argument from me). But forget working... Not gonna happen. At least it's nice and warm out and we can hang out in your back yard. Hope to get the test results by tonight.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Weekend recap... went for a nice fatty ride with Teh Financée and a friend of ours up in Leadville. Started out with a lap on the Mineral Belt rec path, freshly groomed. Gave us a chance to chat and catch up with our friend.

Ended with proper fat bike singletrack, lots of smiles and beards.

Started getting a bit slushy towards the end of the ride, homeboy went in to a corner a bit too hot and even his studded tires could keep him upright.

We got sandwiches to go from a place in Leadville, and ate them at our buddy's place out on a flat bed trailer he has in his front yard that he's using as a portable front porch.

The on Sunday went out for a super mellow ski tour with a buddy who's learning to ski and wants to get into the backcountry. The avy danger is finally mellowing out here in Colorado, and we went to really low-angle and safer zone to see what he thinks of touring. Great success, he really liked it and is stoked to get some formal avy education done and get better at skiing.

On the skin up, another group on our heels.

I got some first tracks down this little low-angle gully we skied...

My buddy dropping in after me...

Me back on the skiing after he leap frogged me...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le work. Up since 7 in meetings. And the guy covering me at work, while I work from home, was late. Joy.

More blue sky today. I'm not used to all this sun. Even the girlfriend asked if she looked sun burnt after yesterdays bike ride.

Also ordered some Maxxis Assguy and Aggressor tires, for when the current DHR2s wear out. Will be the first time I've switched tire types since the DHR2 came out...

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Going out to order a few thousand bucks worth of plywood before shortages occur... :twitch:
Plywood ordered. Did NOT want to know price.

4 months lead time for anything Rockwool.

I think I might die from stress building this house.... #buildahousetheysaid

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Le work. Up since 7 in meetings. And the guy covering me at work, while I work from home, was late. Joy.

More blue sky today. I'm not used to all this sun. Even the girlfriend asked if she looked sun burnt after yesterdays bike ride.

can you go to RSD headquarter to kick some ass? I pay in qc IPA.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Weekend recap... went for a nice fatty ride with Teh Financée and a friend of ours up in Leadville. Started out with a lap on the Mineral Belt rec path, freshly groomed. Gave us a chance to chat and catch up with our friend.

Ended with proper fat bike singletrack, lots of smiles and beards.

Started getting a bit slushy towards the end of the ride, homeboy went in to a corner a bit too hot and even his studded tires could keep him upright.

We got sandwiches to go from a place in Leadville, and ate them at our buddy's place out on a flat bed trailer he has in his front yard that he's using as a portable front porch.

The on Sunday went out for a super mellow ski tour with a buddy who's learning to ski and wants to get into the backcountry. The avy danger is finally mellowing out here in Colorado, and we went to really low-angle and safer zone to see what he thinks of touring. Great success, he really liked it and is stoked to get some formal avy education done and get better at skiing.

On the skin up, another group on our heels.

I got some first tracks down this little low-angle gully we skied...

My buddy dropping in after me...

Me back on the skiing after he leap frogged me...
Meh™