Quantcast

first time 24 hour racers, need help

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
A group of us Pacific Northwest DH, DS, DJ, Urban riders are gonna geta team of 8-10 guys to do the 24 hour race here in WA, in May. None of us have done it before and we're going to have fun on our DH, freeride bikes, not to win, or even come close. What things do we need to prepare for, ask about, buy, etc? i know this is vague but its a start, I really don't even know what questions to ask. Thanks for your help!

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
This doesn't answer your question because I'm too tired to give a decent answer right now, but where and when is this race? Is there a website?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by SVEN
A group of us Pacific Northwest DH, DS, DJ, Urban riders are gonna geta team of 8-10 guys to do the 24 hour race here in WA, in May. None of us have done it before and we're going to have fun on our DH, freeride bikes, not to win, or even come close. What things do we need to prepare for, ask about, buy, etc? i know this is vague but its a start, I really don't even know what questions to ask. Thanks for your help!
1. You need plenty of lights - at least 2-3 hours' worth per rider (unless you're just gonna ride in the day and sleep at night).

2. Plenty of food and water.

3. Changes of clothing - prepare for rain/cold, etc.

4. Spare bike parts - if it can break, bring a replacement!

5. Have fun!

Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions.

Yeti_Rider

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego, CA
The most important thing to bring is a good attitude because at 3:00 in the morning 24 hour racing is just about the dumbest thing any person ever thought of! However, once the sun comes up you again realize that you're having fun.

I've done three team races (5 man) and I just approach each rice like this.

You need everything you might need if you were camping for a weekend. Chairs, food, lantern, tent, sleeping bag, etc.

TOILET PAPER! Don't belive that the public restrooms will be properly stocked

You need everything you wouldnormally bring on a ride including changes of clothing. Nothing worse than putting on a sweaty jersey at 3:00 AM or used shorts. Bring all tools to maintain a bike and a workstand. Bring spares, but not everybody on the team needs the same stuff. Just make sure you collectively have enough of everything to make the appropriate repairs. Bring extra wheels if you've got them and the team can use them if necessary. Brake and derrailleur cables, derrailleurs, tires, tubes, etc. etc.

When it comes to eating and drinking, eat and drink lots. You know what you can hold down so bring what you like.

if you're on an 8-10 man team, not everybody will have to do multiple night laps but sharing lights and batteries might result in a shortage. everybody should have their own and most lighting manufacturers attend these events and offer charging services.

Have fun