Quantcast

First Time At Downieville Tomorrow! Pointers Please!

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Ok like it says, I am going to Downieville for the first time tomorrow and need to know what to do to prep. for the day?

Anything I need to do the night before (Besides get good sleep and tune up the bike)?

Cost of shuttle service?

Some of the more fun trails (Jumps, burms, walls, etc...)?

Do the shuttles get full pretty quickly?

Best Shuttle Service/Company to take?

Anything else I might want to know?

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
1. AT Yuba Expeditions, it's $15 per shuttle.

2. When you get dropped off at the shuttle drop off point, hit Sunrise Trail, like 20 feet from where you are. A little pedally, but fun. That will drop you off right at the Butcher Ranch trailhead. Butcher Ranch is fun, some good switchbacks, rockgardens. You'll cross a rover at the bottom, and there is about a 15 minute climb. Along the climb, there will be a fork. GO RIGHT! That's to the 3rd Divide Trail. At the top of the climb, let the fun begin! 3rd Divide is FAST and smooth (for the first part). Then at the bottom of that, you'll come out next to a couple houses, and there is still like 6 miles of XC. That is 1st Divide. Not too hard to get lost here, but it's possible. Then that dumps you into the town.

3. You can call Yuba ahead of time and reserve a spot. You shouldn't have trouble getting on one, they run quite a few shuttles on the weekends.

4. Yuba Expeditions. On time, cool hang out spot w/ pool table, TV, couches at their shop.

Take extra tubes! I was averaging a flat a run before I got DH casing tires. Bring water. If at all possible, hook up w/ someone on the shuttle who has ridden it before, and make sure they are taking Butchers>3rd>1st, that's the "downhill", I beleive it's 2nd Divide which is the XC (making the left on the climb).

Have fun!

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Soudns good bussy thanks for the info. that was the Shuttle service I planned on taking. I am going with my buddy.

I am riding Michelin 2.8" On the bike but extra tubes I have and also a Camel back with water.

Are you the MattP. From Sacramento also that works at Bobs?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Soudns good bussy thanks for the info. that was the Shuttle service I planned on taking. I am going with my buddy.

I am riding Michelin 2.8" On the bike but extra tubes I have and also a Camel back with water.

Are you the MattP. From Sacramento also that works at Bobs?
If you have some 2.5s run thoes, you dont need anything wider and there is ALOT of pedaling.

No real jumps or drops but there is stuff to hit on the trail if you know were it is

big_lew

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
2. When you get dropped off at the shuttle drop off point, hit Sunrise Trail, like 20 feet from where you are. A little pedally, but fun. That will drop you off right at the Butcher Ranch trailhead. Butcher Ranch is fun, some good switchbacks, rockgardens. You'll cross a rover at the bottom, and there is about a 15 minute climb. Along the climb, there will be a fork. GO RIGHT! That's to the 3rd Divide Trail. At the top of the climb, let the fun begin! 3rd Divide is FAST and smooth (for the first part). Then at the bottom of that, you'll come out next to a couple houses, and there is still like 6 miles of XC. That is 1st Divide. Not too hard to get lost here, but it's possible. Then that dumps you into the town.

How long does this take roughly??

Deciding on what shuttle time I should take

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Fastest race times are in the 40-something minute range I think. Plus the shuttle itself probably takes 20 minutes from town to the drop off point. If you've never done it before and want to take it easy and enjoy the ride, I'd say plan on 3 or 4 hours between shuttles. That will give you time to take breaks, get lost, jump in the river, and get a snack between shuttles.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Yeah, plan on like 45 min for the shuttle.

Then from drop off, taking Sunrise>Butcher Ranch>3rd Divide>1st Divide, I did it in like 1 hour 45, walking up the climb on my Nomad.

So count on like 2-3 hours for your first time.

I usually do the 10 and 2 shuttles, and that allows me to cool off, grab a slice of pizza, take inventory :)

big_lew

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
How bad do you think it'll be on Downhill bikes? the uphills

Will be coming from riding at Northstar.