Quantcast

First time hickory smoking went awesome

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My parents bought a Weber Performer a few years ago (like the one in the pic but black). The thing kicks ass. Propane starter, but all the cooking is done with charcoal. It has smoking chip baskets (or whatever they are called) but they had bever been used. I had a bag of Hockory smoking chips in my basement, and finally used them. I think that you are suppossed to soak the wood for 24hrs, but I did it for ~3. There was only mimnimal burning of the Hickory. I could not believe how good it made the meat taste and how much smoke the thing put out. When lifting the cover, you could not stand down wind.
It was my gf's college graduation so we had a BBQ at my house.
We cooked up 7 lbs of meat, all marinaded.
BBQ chicken
Country marinade steak tips
Pork Tips- Red Chinese style marinade
Lamb tips- forget which marinade
Lemon Peppercorn Chicken (I think)

And most importantly, my mom's homemade Margarita's and a whole bunch of bear.

If you have evcer thought about smoking meat, DO IT! There is no magic or special technique needed to make the food come out good beyong soaking the wood long enough so that it doesn't burn and leaving the lid on so that there is not enough oxygen for the wood to burn. Wear old cloths. I was smelling Hickory in the shower for several days.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I keep telling myself to pick up the wood chips for grilling. I grill a few times a week (year around) but I've never used wood chips.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
mr_dove said:
I keep telling myself to pick up the wood chips for grilling. I grill a few times a week (year around) but I've never used wood chips.
I highly recomend it. It was so easy. Do it on a windy day or grill with a fan at your back. Seriously. The smell stuck with me for days. Lasted longer than the stemch from the smokiest bar, but obviously much better smelling. Not to mention being blinded every time I lifted the cover.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I picked up a 1 pound bag of hickory chips from my local barbeque store (outdoor cooking). They had lots of other types of wood chips but hickory is a good start.

I'm going to cook up some hickory "beer can chicken" on Saturday.