Quantcast

First Time Using A Stan’s Dart Tire Plug...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
And it was amazingly flawless and easy. pulled it out, plugged it, pumped it. Heh.
that was it. It didn’t hurt that it was a perfectly round small puncture. But I am impressed.
that is all.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Hebo bicycle trials shoes look great! I wonder if they would be a good riding shoe? 5.10 for the rubber but the inner ankle like the hebo is what’s missing. The shoes that have it don’t have a stiff enough sole.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And it was amazingly flawless and easy. pulled it out, plugged it, pumped it. Heh.
that was it. It didn’t hurt that it was a perfectly round small puncture. But I am impressed.
that is all.
First time using any plugs, or just Stan's?

I've definitely successfully used plugs, with a few that failed to work (right at the bead, unlikely anything would work). My front has 3 plugs in it from the last day of DHing at the park last year, yep, EXO. Same day I sliced the rear open on a rock, not recoverable. But the basic bacon plugs work decent enough. I see a market for the bigger ones, as if the sealant doesn't do it's job, you need a much "bigger hammer" for the job, it's not likely it's a tiny pinhole. Even with a few drops of sealant left, the plugs seem to work well. I have to wonder how an auto-kit would work for the bigger punctures, although you quickly get to the level of cuts/tears where nothing short of sewing it back up with a patch inside will fix it.

I'm still 100% for carrying a pump and tube for any distance you're not willing to walk. Just can't predict those sliced tires well enough to avoid dumping the equipment.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just the first time using the Dart. I guess it ’chemically bonds’ with the Stan’s liquid (whatever that means).
I definitely have had one or two not so great bacon strip experiences. I still carry a spare tube and pump, of course.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I now carry plugs instead of a tube but I haven't had a chance to try them because I haven't flatted in like 6 years. I'm tempted to mount up a worn out tire just to punch a hole in it and practice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I now carry plugs instead of a tube but I haven't had a chance to try them because I haven't flatted in like 6 years. I'm tempted to mount up a worn out tire just to punch a hole in it and practice.
Even better practice, slice it!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Been using Dynaplugs for a while, not cheap but they work great for holes that don't quite seal with sealant alone but that aren't so big that a boot or a tube is required. In some cases I've gone months on a plug without any problems. (Always fun puncturing a new tire, eh?)

But I still carry a tube on pretty much every ride, I learned that lesson a long time ago.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you want to carry a tube check out Tubolito. It's so small it takes up like 1/4 the space in a pack as a normal tube.
But if I need a tube, it's likely to be a pretty dramatic event requiring a boot/patch and I'm not sure I'd want to be down to that. Seems like tempting fate.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you want to carry a tube check out Tubolito. It's so small it takes up like 1/4 the space in a pack as a normal tube.
I definitely pack tubolitos. Haven’t had to make someone Venmo me before giving them one out on the trail yet...:sarcastic:
How much do those Tubolitos cost? I got one of these and it packs up pretty small: I have it rolled up in a small saddle bag with a CO2 and valve head and my Wolftooth pliers.

I have an EDC tool in my stem with bacon strips in the canister, and a pump strapped to my downtube. All this allows me to ride packless, and still carry the necessary tools to bail my buddies out, even if they're riding with 6l packs...

But if I need a tube, it's likely to be a pretty dramatic event requiring a boot/patch and I'm not sure I'd want to be down to that. Seems like tempting fate.
I would argue that tempting fate is riding without a tube...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How much do those Tubolitos cost? I got one of these and it packs up pretty small: I have it rolled up in a small saddle bag with a CO2 and valve head and my Wolftooth pliers.

I have an EDC tool in my stem with bacon strips in the canister, and a pump strapped to my downtube. All this allows me to ride packless, and still carry the necessary tools to bail my buddies out, even if they're riding with 6l packs...

I would argue that tempting fate is riding without a tube...
My point was more along the lines of you may have slight bulging tube, the tire boot or a cliff bar wrapper up against the tube and other imperfect situations, so abrasion resistance and integrity are probably of a much higher concern, vs running those weight weenie tubes in a fully-intact tire. Granted, a regular tube isn't much in this case, but the tubolito seems to take it to the extreme where I'm not sure I'd want to bet on it to take me 30 miles out of the backcountry.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've been using the $6 bacon strip plugs for a few years. They've saved my ass a couple times.
Now I carry the fancy dynaplugs because someone gifted me one of their metal canister kits, which "look cool".

I have some cheap tire plugs from Autozone for my car... I may cut a few little pieces off one of those large plugs to add to my on-bike toolkit in case of big holes.

I still carry a spare tube on trail rides, though.