Quantcast

first xc race tommorrow

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
so im riding my first xc race tommorrow late afternoon...
any reccomendations on food/hydration pre race tommorrow?

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
i cameled & carbo'd up and felt pretty good.
the race went well i was the only female racing beginner but next week another girl should be coming out so that will be sweet.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You know, if you feel so inclined, just so you aren't by yourself, you could race with the beginner guys. Sure, they might be faster than you, but at least you have someone to chase.

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
ya i started with the beginner guys, they killed me. honestly i started as a roadie and this was only the 5th or 6th time ive done a good challenging ride on my mtn bike. so all in all i was pleased with myself.
i just need to be a bit more ballsy on the downhill portions and ill be able to keep up with people a bit better.
what is your feeling on warm ups because i did one warm up lap and thought i was going to die, but by the 3rd lap of the day i was feeling pretty good. would it be beneficial to do 2-3 warm up laps so im in that good place before i start or am i likely to burn out faster?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It all depends on you. I always warmed up for at least a steady 30 minutes before my races because the longer the race, the better I did. It gave my muscles time to work out and the blood to get flushed through them completely. Obviously, you don't want to burn yourself out, and finding a warmup routine that works for you is key. Experiment a bit. I usually warmed up on a trainer so that I could do exactly what I wanted. I did some steady tempo pedaling, then a few hill simulations, a couple intervals, and then another steady tempo effort before I rolled to the line.

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
cool. ya i def want to get there a bit earlier next week and give myself a bit more warm up time. other than just getting out there an riding do you have any training tips?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bella said:
i cameled & carbo'd up and felt pretty good.
the race went well i was the only female racing beginner but next week another girl should be coming out so that will be sweet.
so did you win? :rolleyes:

IMO, one lap warm up should be plenty. I have never done more than a lap as warm up. also depends on how long the lap is/how many laps your race is. But as Heidi said you have to figure out what works for you and your body.

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
do you know of any races in the boston area at the end of may early june? (im originally from boston, but going to school in ny, but moving to seattle midjune)

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
HOOWAH said:
EFTA sanctioned - Sunday, June 11, 2006 Topsfield, MA NECS #2 - North Shore Classic
www.efta.com
as far as competition goes in your class? just go for personal bests!
oh sweet ill still be around for that one. maybe ill drag my dad out there and have him try his hand at a race too :)