Quantcast

first year racing

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
I cant wait until Diablo starts there races because I will be able to race in the Intro series. I'm so stoked and want the summer to come quickly. It will be my first year racing so does anyone have any tips they would be willing to share with me.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Have fun! As long as you go into racing with a positive mindset you will do well. Always remember that.

Chances are I will see you around...

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
just remember bro, always go out to have a fun no matter what everyone else is saying. the first snowshoe race i had was absolutly misserable for me and the rest of the crew that i was there with. i wasnt in it for the fun and well we had a horrible time. just remember enjoy your time on the mountain and you will always come back for more bro. good luck and i hope we get to see you around man.

Dont worry about having fun, winning is all that matters! If you aint first youre last!

But seriously, I hated racing the first 2 years I did it because all i wanted to do was win and this year I relaxed and had fun and was way faster. When you really try and push and go fast, you sometimes get bogged down more and go slower than if you flow your runs.

Take as many spare parts to the races with you as you can so a mechanical doesnt ruin the weekend

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I've said this before but it can be said again, the pre-race piss is essential.

Having fun is important as everyone else said. Diablo can really beat on you though. Make sure your first race isn't on a course that involves Utah haha.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Take as many spare parts to the races with you as you can so a mechanical doesnt ruin the weekend
Crucial. Know what you're "more" apt to break or harder on and bring spares (wheels? pedals? derailleurs?). The right tires are also important. That's about it. And don't keep track of what this all costs you, thats rule number 1. Its a lot, and the less you think about it, the easier it is to live with yourself.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Dont worry about having fun, winning is all that matters! If you aint first youre last!

But seriously, I hated racing the first 2 years I did it because all i wanted to do was win and this year I relaxed and had fun and was way faster. When you really try and push and go fast, you sometimes get bogged down more and go slower than if you flow your runs.

bahaha ricky bobby!! haha my tips are, have fun, and make it to the bottom on your bike and in one piece. :lighten:

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
If you are in the intro/Beg. class don't worry about tires i raced Intro/Beg. last year on the same two tires all year and won the points series. Also don't worry if you bike is not the best there. I was racing a 10 year old Specialized modified XC bike. Also if you can make it to one plattekill race and camp in the parking lot. You WILL have fun there.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Why whats wrong with Utah courses?
Utah as in a trail at Diablo in New Jersey, not the state of Utah. Really is a flat easy rail trail I guess.

Also, since you'll be riding at Diablo, if you see a kid in a pinkshirt while on your run, don't yell at him (even though his future at dpf is in question). You will fall.

atwalker6

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
yea just have alot of fun. there are a ton of nice people at diablo that will help you out on race day if you need anything. im on an 08 mongoose ec-d if you ever see me and need anything man...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Make sure you dont race the rest of the field or the clock.
Race yourself and try to improve, dont give a damn about the rest.
Chances are you wont be very competative at first, or maybee forever, but that really doesnt matter as long as your having fun pushing your own limit.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
As said before, just try to have fun and have the proper tools and replacement parts. I would highly recommend getting at least 2 or 3 spare tubes as I have been with people that have flatted 3+ times in one day. I would also keep a set of spare brake pads, cable+housing and a derailleur if you have one.

For your first race, don't worry about how fast you are going, just concentrate on being smooth and making it down without crashing/flatting, speed will come with experience. If you are having trouble with a section just camp out for a bit and see what other riders are doing, chances are there will be a line that works better for you. If you have the time, walking the course will let you see lines that you may not see while on the bike.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I started out thinking I was gonna kick some ass and have a stack of trophys on my shelf. That was actually my only win to date. Found out I'm NOT fast at all, and only won because the other guys REALLY sucked, and I didn't get a trophy, it was a dumb ass plaque. I woke up the next morning feeling pretty bummed and realized that I had so very little fun that I didn't even remember what the course was like.
I have one single method now: Start out just trying to not crash. Then I try to not crash a little faster. And after I can stop worrying about the course trying to remove me from my bike I try to see if I can catch myself smiling on the way down. If I smile, I win. I've got a pic of myself somewhere a bud took and it looks like I either have really bad gas or someone just told me the best joke I'd ever heard. I remember THAT race.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
remember, most of all: crush the enemies. If an opposing rider gets a flat tire, make sure to point out to him that you're a better rider, and better mechanic too! He'll appreciate the tip, and he'll be sure to make an attempt to get better so the competition can be more up to par at the next race.

but seriously, just push yourself just like you do when you're riding with somebody faster then you, and you'll be fine

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
What everone else said about fun. But do take it somewhat seriously, by that I mean learn the course well and blank out everything else and pretend you're just going for a fast trail ride off in the woods. That will help shake off any butter flys out some. Don't worry about being like Steve Peat or Mick Hannah your first time out, take it easy, relax on the bike and go with the flow. Stay loose so you dont tense up too much and crash by over correcting on something.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Having fun is what its all about, last year at the massanutten race i blew out my rear brake and couldn't race but still had a blast there. I'll definitely be back lol.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you think your practice was fast, go faster!!!!!!!!! Cardio is a big help, upper body exercise as well..
When sitting on the gate or in line think about what you'll be doing tomorrow or later, it helps relieve the pre run jitters. Definently race yourself, but for a good run you will be on edge and take lines that scare you.