Quantcast

fish n chips

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Halibut. Its just what I get. Never have to worry about bones and such. Tasty also. Grammy did cheap beer and bisquick. Not a fan. I go the fancy route and do Milk, Flour, Egg, Panko (Bread Crumbs work fine) to the fryer method like my Mom. Beef fat or Goldeneze if I can get it. 350 12 minutes. Chips are boiled sliced then fried in the same mess. Chips will usually take longer. I cook them first to let them drain and cool so I don't burn the roof of my mouth eating them. I rarely can resist however....Bookbinders from Philly makes the best in a jar Tarter Sauce. Not readily available however. Even in Philly. Hellmans is good enough for me. Malt Vinegar Heinz for me. Lemons not juice....

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Halibut. Its just what I get. Never have to worry about bones and such. Tasty also. Grammy did cheap beer and bisquick. Not a fan. I go the fancy route and do Milk, Flour, Egg, Panko (Bread Crumbs work fine) to the fryer method like my Mom. Beef fat or Goldeneze if I can get it. 350 12 minutes. Chips are boiled sliced then fried in the same mess. Chips will usually take longer. I cook them first to let them drain and cool so I don't burn the roof of my mouth eating them. I rarely can resist however....Bookbinders from Philly makes the best in a jar Tarter Sauce. Not readily available however. Even in Philly. Hellmans is good enough for me. Malt Vinegar Heinz for me. Lemons not juice....
you said bookbinders and then i was listening...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Haddock was always my preferred over the default cod.

(Spent 12 years living/working in a F+C shop)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
oysters are one of my favorite food-things. Vodka martinis + oysters is a fancy-ass JAM.
:fancy:

edit: re the OP, I also recommend using cod or haddock.
So do they not taste like sea-water flavored phlegm, or is there something I'm missing?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Oysters, you either get them or you don't. I love 'em, just not the really huge milky ones. You very much need something acidic to cut the brine though, that's why they usually come with mignonette and/or lemon. Hog Island Sweetwaters are local and are pretty much my ideal raw oyster.

As for F&C, I was just reading this blurb in the New Yorker: The Glorious Fish and Chips at Dame | The New Yorker

Apparently dude gets really good results using Hake, and by cutting a bit of vodka into the beer batter.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Halibut ftw. Definitely needs a good tartar sauce.

I still need to try the hole in the wall fish and chips place down the street. Owners are from Newfoundland land and apparently its top notch.

(Spent 12 years living/working in a F+C shop)
Can you still smell it?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I live to far from the source to trust Cod here. Haddock is $10 a pound. I can get Alaskan Halibut for $7 at Costco.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oysters, you either get them or you don't. I love 'em, just not the really huge milky ones. You very much need something acidic to cut the brine though, that's why they usually come with mignonette and/or lemon. Hog Island Sweetwaters are local and are pretty much my ideal raw oyster.

As for F&C, I was just reading this blurb in the New Yorker: The Glorious Fish and Chips at Dame | The New Yorker

Apparently dude gets really good results using Hake, and by cutting a bit of vodka into the beer batter.

Tried oysters a bunch of times never really liked them. Then I had a bunch of friend drag me to a local hipster oyster joint. Fuck they were good. Don't know if the difference was regional or just fresher.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Halibut ftw. Definitely needs a good tartar sauce.

I still need to try the hole in the wall fish and chips place down the street. Owners are from Newfoundland land and apparently its top notch.

Can you still smell it?
You got Len Duckworths. Just go there. Danforth Village. Proper pint and everything.