Quantcast

fish or reptiles? which would you get?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, i am in my new house and i think either an aquarium or terrarium would be cool. my experience is mainly in reptiles but fish are much easier to take care of and ultimately cheaper.

I have owned iguanas, Cuban Night Anoles, Jacksons Chameleons, Bearded Dragons, Ball Pythons and some fish. if i chose fish then it would be freshwater.

feel free to discuss.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i had a cuban knight anole and fence swift, as well as a boa when i was a kid.

fish are defintely a lot easier to take care of, and cheaper as you said.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Fish......then you could bring clients over on rainy days and they could sit on your couch, drink beer and try to catch whatever happens to be in the tank that day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Fish are less of a hassle and you're probably less inclined to get attached to 'em and have 'em cost you money. Had a friend who spent hundreds of dollars on a vet bill for her lizard. Fish come and go for very little money, and are basically no trouble at all to take care of.

I've always kinda wanted a snake, myself.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Fish - I had some big Iguana's and you constantly have to handle them or they get nasty.

Besides doesnt your roommate have a dog? Just play with that. The dog I mean.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
you could do what my buddy wants to do: have a fishtank with an airtight terrarium inside it, with a snorkel. That way you can freak the fish out with whatever you put in it. My friend wants to do a tarantula...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah she has a dog but i am kinda going fopr aesthetics here.

i think lou however is trying to play with my roommate.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i would like to have some bass in a freshwater tank but it is illegal i think since they are technically game fish and they would consume soooooo much food.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
i think lou however is trying to play with my roommate.
Is he STILL there? He should of hit it by now. His Manwhore shirt is probably too much for her to resist.

If you are just going for Aesthetics fish for sure.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Why not look at a leopard gecko? Easy to take care of and very friendly. If handled with any kind of regularity, they will be incredibly fond of you, sit on your shoulder with you, looks when you say their name, etc etc.

Maybe $100 worth of setup for them, plus the cost of the animal itself.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bigginsis said:
amen. but i keep salt and fresh and fresh isn't too bad as long as you don't have to deal with live plants.
yea... feshwater is cheap and easy assuming you don't get into anything fancy/exotic.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
jacksonpt said:
yea... feshwater is cheap and easy assuming you don't get into anything fancy/exotic.

no cichlids. my 20 has a clown loach and a pair of blue rams and some rummy nose tetras and fake plants. tried the real plants but could never get the water just right.

i love my salt but i have spent too much money on corals and fish that bit the dust.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Beta Fish are cool and easy to maintain. When bored hold up a mirror and watch it go crazy from trying to attack it's reflection.

You can buy a very inexpensive filted aquarium and the fish for probably less then $40

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bigginsis said:
i love my salt but i have spent too much money on corals and fish that bit the dust.
yep, same here. When we moved last summer, I sold off all my gear. Used the money to buy my Yeti - smartest thing I've ever done, but I still miss the tanks... especially in the winter.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If you decide to go freshwater... I highly recommend Piranha, red-bellies specifically. They are cool animals (and no in the lets-feed-them-mice-and-see-what-happens kind of way). It's cool to watch them interact, especially once you've had them for a while and a pecking order is established in the group. I'll probably get more at some point.

Just make sure you do some a bit of reseach first - even it's it just asking me for cliff notes on caring for piranha - they are illegal in some states and definitely NOT what most people think of when they hear the word piranha.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bigginsis said:
you must have had quite the setup to get rid of!!
I had 2 tanks... a 44g reef and a 75g fish only. Sold off EVERYTHING... lights, filters, live sand, live rock, fish, corals, inverts, tanks, stands, RO/DI units, sumps, pumps, etc.

If found some old pics I took when I was trying to sell off everything. It's a very poor representation of what was at one time a couple of beautiful tanks... but still pics worth sharing.

link

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I have a 72g salt water aquarium, with fish, live rock and a little coral. The filter system I have set up is so easy that I basically have no upkeep. I need to clean the front of the tank once a week so i can see whats going on, I feed the fish everyday, and add makeup water every other day. total of about 20mins of work a week. I don't even have to do water changeouts. My dad has a 75g freshwater tank and he has like 3 times the work that I do.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bluebug32 said:
Do any of you have reptiles?

Beth
not any more... had a fattail gecko once upon a time. Cool critter. The thermostat in the heat rock I had busted so the thing never shut off... ended up partially frying the little guy... he never really recovered.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
jacksonpt said:
I had 2 tanks... a 44g reef and a 75g fish only. Sold off EVERYTHING... lights, filters, live sand, live rock, fish, corals, inverts, tanks, stands, RO/DI units, sumps, pumps, etc.

If found some old pics I took when I was trying to sell off everything. It's a very poor representation of what was at one time a couple of beautiful tanks... but still pics worth sharing.

link

Those pics are good! I love the tang - they are my favorite fish - the Kole Tang in particular. I had a pixie hawk and man he was great - hawks have so much personality but they can be a tiny bit hostile. He killed the peppermint shrimp I added. Thanks for sharing the pictures - makes me want to find some new stuff!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have had just about every reptile since i was a little kid from gardner snakes to corn and king snakes, iguannas to a basklin (the ones that can run over water), poison dart frogs to huge african bullfrogs etc etc. my favorite was the jacksons chameleon (sp?) that i had 3-4 years ago. such an interesting pet to watch it eat, walk, change colors and hunt for food. i had a bunch of random fish for a while but they kinda boared me. next year im buying a baby american aligator at the pet store here for 200 bucks plus the tanks and whatnot. super badass pet that is very exotic and only grows 1/2 foot to a foot a year and once its gotten to big for wht you can supply you can sell them and or make boots wallets out of them (kidding kind of)