Quantcast

Fish.............

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well due to some scheduling issues I'll be cooking my Polish families "holy" supper Christmas Eve. Thing is we're supposed to serve 7 different fishes. We have 3 figured out but I need some more recipes because my wife and I barely eat any fish and defiantly don't cook any. Anybody have any SIMPLE and GOOD recipes out there for fish of any sort?

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
My wife's Italian family does the same. I believe we have shrimp (cocktail and fried), fried calamari, squid, Baccala (salted cod), baked clams, crab cakes and lobster tails. Better start cooking soon because we cook for about 3 days.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Well...let's see--since you're Polish, and the traditional kinds of fishes like carp, eel and sturgeon aren't readily available just anywhere, I would suggest something like:

Stuffed Salmon Fillets(stuffing made of fine bread crumbs, minced clams and crabmeat.) Garnish w/a little dill.

Grilled Tuna steaks. Little salt, little pepper--don't over-grill. Leave it pinkish in the middle.

Baked Anchovies. I hate these things, but many people love 'em.

Fried or baked Flounder. Little egg and milk batter. Spicy breadding. My favorite is fried, but baked is good, too.

Fried or baked catfish -- Fried is the only way to go.

Grilled shrimp. Not sure how shellfish fits in with the traditional element. Butterfly cut and de-vein and then cover in melted butter and garlic. Throw 'em on the grill for 8 minutes and you're good.

Crabcakes---again, not sure about tradition, but you make these with real backfin crabmeat, and your people will talk about it for years to come!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
seared sea scallops. easy and delicious.

S&P the scallops.

in a large pan @ med-high heat, add olive oil.

when oil is hot, put in the scallops, and cook for 2-4 minutes per side (you want a nice carmelized crust to form, but not to overcook). don't crowd the pan, do it in batches if you have to.

when the scallops are done, make an easy sauce by adding some chopped leeks/shallots/garlic, stir frequently to avoid browning, then add in some white wine and/or freshly squeezed lemon juice to deglaze and make the sauce.

pour over scallops, serve immediately.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I say have pork & beef and pretend it's fish.

:D
Mmmmm... Fish bacon......

Stosh, maybe keep it simple. An easy to do baked salmon always goes over well. Maybe a broiled or pan fried white fish, and a couple of types of shellfish (are shellfish allowed?) Everyone loves a big ol' bowl of steamed shrimp.

And salmon is so easy to do. A little salt and pepper, a little butter and bake that sucker.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Make sure rack is adjusted to top third of the oven, preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with butter. Take 4 fillets (flounder, haddock, sole, or orange roughy) and pat dry. Put 'em on the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. If necessary, tuck any thin ends under the fillet so you get close to even thickness.

Melt 2 Tbs of butter in a small skillet then add 2 minced shallots, 1 clove of minced garlic, and a bit of salt and pepper. Cook until the shallots are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add 2 Tbs EV olive oil, juice from half a lemon, and about a tsp of chopped thyme, mint, or parsley (I use a combo of the 3). Top the fillets with a bit of the shallot sauce and a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Bake until done (opaque throughout and flakes easily), about 5-10 minutes. Serve with the remaining sauce.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
seared sea scallops. easy and delicious.

S&P the scallops.

in a large pan @ med-high heat, add olive oil.

when oil is hot, put in the scallops, and cook for 2-4 minutes per side (you want a nice carmelized crust to form, but not to overcook). don't crowd the pan, do it in batches if you have to.

when the scallops are done, make an easy sauce by adding some chopped leeks/shallots/garlic, stir frequently to avoid browning, then add in some white wine and/or freshly squeezed lemon juice to deglaze and make the sauce.

pour over scallops, serve immediately.
Scallops are great and quite easy. Crab cakes are really easy too...I am pretty sure I have an easy recipe kicking around.

BikeGeek's recipe sounds great as well.

Just carefully watch your cooking times....most people over cook their fish. And, if you're willing to grill...tuna steaks are easy and delicious.

Food network has a nice seafood dinner (7 fish courses and dessert) that isn't difficult either. It includes:
Fried Calamari
Baccala Meatballs: Polpette di Baccala
Warm Seafood Salad: Insalata Tiepida
Crab Salad in Endive Leaves
Spaghetti with Mussels: Spaghetti con Mitili
Shrimp in Crazy Water: Gamberoni al' Acqua Pazzo
Whole Fish Baked in Tomatoes, Onions, and Garlic
Italian Fig Cookies

With Baccala is the biggest time crunch because you have to soak the cod for 2 days, but other than that it's not a tough menu.