Quantcast

Fisher Ferrous 29er

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
Anyone have their Reba Race floodgate and compression knobs bang the downtube when turning the handle bars to the right?

I just bought a 2008 Ferrous 29er and I can see how my downtube would get destoyed during a unfortuitous crash. I got the bike late last night... my wife drove 400 miles roundtrip to pick it up and I noticed immediatedly upon inspection. I have notified the BS and sent GFisher a note about it as well. We'll see what happens.

On another note the Reba Race only gets about 1/2" of travel before it harshly bottoms out. Any solutions?

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
A good number of 29ers have this problem with the Reba's. There are special races that have a stack height that will put the headtube up 5mm or so. Cane Creek and King both make them.

As for the Reba make sure to be putting air in the positive chamber first. I also run about 10 psi higher in the top. If it continues one of your orings might of slipped off, if you have a local Fisher dealer they should fix it under warranty (even if you didn't buy it from them.)

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
Thanks for the info.

I called another bike shop, I found via the web, which had the Ferrous in stock (17.5, 19 and 21 inch models) and had them rotate the fork and there were no clearance issues on any of the bikes. The bikes were spec'd like mine. They said I got a bum frame. The bike shop where I purchased the bike suggested I lash on a piece of plastic to the downtube and not to worry about it as it was in area of the frame that is triple butted. Right! I asked them to to speak with Fisher on Monday for a second opinion.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I would guess it might be a batch issue. I had a 17.5 and a 19 when they first came out, and they both had that issue. I didn't think the Ferrous changed at all for '08 but maybe they tweaked the geometry a bit?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Anyone have their Reba Race floodgate and compression knobs bang the downtube when turning the handle bars to the right?

I just bought a 2008 Ferrous 29er and I can see how my downtube would get destoyed during a unfortuitous crash. I got the bike late last night... my wife drove 400 miles roundtrip to pick it up and I noticed immediatedly upon inspection. I have notified the BS and sent GFisher a note about it as well. We'll see what happens.

On another note the Reba Race only gets about 1/2" of travel before it harshly bottoms out. Any solutions?

What size frame do you have?

Pull that knob out (all it does is cover the allen head for adjusting the floodgate.)

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
size 19". I removed the gold floodgate knob by loosening its set screww and the rod with the machined flat that the floodgate knob was attached to still hits the downtube. Also, the extended piece on the blue compression dial makes the most contact of the two when it is in the full open position. See image w/ arrow.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I dealt with the issue. I was only demoing the frame for about 6 months and the reason I had two different bikes is I had a warranty issue on the first (the rear end was out of alignment.) By the time the new frame came in I simply wanted to ride it.

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
Well the bike shop I was dealing with maintains that the bikes are supposed to come as is (with the clearance problem) and they confirmed this through their Gary Fisher distributor. Their final solutions:
1. install a new headset with more offset (as you :monkey:s already told me :clapping:) or
2. put a new fork on it.

All of this at an increased cost to me with no shop credit for the brand new parts (as I have yet to ride it) :shocked:.

I said I would talk with Fisher myself. After speaking with Fisher tech support I explained how I couldn't imagine the design intent to include fork to downtube interference. The tech assured me his Ferrous 29er had it as well. I said I believed him, but I would only accept that answer if he could speak with engineering and have them confirm that their CAD models indeed have the issue. 3 hours later he said he spoke with engineering and told me their design intent was to NOT have the issue and it was supposed to have been rectified with the "Cane Creek S-3 plus 5" headset. So he said my bike is spec'd wrong and he could send the the correct headset ASAP to a local dealer. Bravo!