Quantcast

Fisheye Lenses

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
How are fisheye lenses measuered? For example: does a .42X give a wider or narrower field than a .25X?

It would be for a Canon Powershot G5, is it worth it to pay for the Canon branded one? Any cheaper recommendations?

Thanks!

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
the .25x would be much wider. take the regular focal length of the lens and multiply it by the number or whatever on the new lens. so with a 35mm lens you would have a 8.75mm lens after screwing on the .25x lens and 14.7mm after putting on the .42x lens.

as for which one to get i dont really know.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My experience is that anything other than manufacturer-branded add-on lenses for digicams are complete and utter crap.

I tried two non-Sony branded lenses for my Sony, and they sucked. The real Sony version is awesome.

I also tried a non-Olympus branded teleconverter for my dad's camera and it, too, sucked. Again, the Olympus branded version works great.

If you're broke, don't fool around - buy the Canon branded lens. If you've got some money in your pocket, you could give the off brand version a try, but don't be suprised if it turns out to be terrible.

edit: and, by sucked, I don't mean that I took a dozen pictures of some gridlines and could detect minor problems around the edges of my pictures. By sucked, I mean that they gave focus problems that made the camera boardering on unusable, and had so much edge distortion that the only clear part of the picture was a small area in the immediate center - and even that wasn't sharp or crisp by any stretch.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
as for weather or not to get the branded one, id say no. but dont go to best buy or some big store like that to get it, and dont expect it to be cheap. look it up on the internet, or find a real good pro shop. i cant remember the name of the company, but ill post it wen i remember, but they had the sickest lenses around. super nice , but really really expensive....