Quantcast

Fit Teens May Be Safer Teens

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

TUESDAY, April 4 (HealthDay News) -- The key to keeping kids on the straight and narrow may lie in keeping them physically fit and away from the TV.

A new study finds that teens who take part in many different kinds of physical activity -- particularly with their parents -- are less likely to get involved in drinking, drugs, violence, smoking, sex, and delinquency than teens who spend a lot of time in front of the television.

Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill reported the findings in the April issue of the journal Pediatrics.

The researchers looked at seven different "clusters" of teens. These clusters were defined by physical or "couch potato" activities frequently engaged in by teens. Examples of clusters include:

Teens who often played sports with their parents and who also spent a lot of time playing sports overall;
Skaters/gamers -- teens who did a lot of skateboarding, bicycling, and playing video games;
High TV/video viewers, who made their own decisions about TV viewing and watched a lot of TV;
Teens who often used recreation centers;
Teens who often took part in school activities, including sports and clubs.​

The researchers found that kids who focused on fitness and activity were less likely to take up drinking, illicit drug use, violent behavior, sex and delinquency.

On the other hand, "adolescents who spend a lot of time watching TV or playing computer video games tend to be at higher risk for engaging in all of these risky behaviors," study co-author Dr. Penny Gordon-Larsen, assistant professor of nutrition, said in a prepared statement.

"Anything we can do to get kids to be physically active will help them in terms of their physical health, but this research suggests that engaging in a variety of activities may also have social, emotional, and cognitive benefits, including reduced likelihood of engaging in risky behaviors, such as drinking, drugs, violence, smoking, sex, and delinquency," Gordon-Larsen said.

She and her colleagues also assessed the teens' self-esteem and found that the risk of poor self-esteem was lowest for teens who played sports with their parents.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
That article is BS.

So they are saying a kid that skates is less likely to blaze then some fatass in front of the TV?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I find it hard to believe that the kids who play computer games a lot have a higher tendency to get involved in that stuff than kids who are active. Many of the gamers and computer people I know are rather socially inept and outside of their little e-world have relatively little experience interacting with others. Kids who are more active usually are more popular, and more prone to get involved in those kinds of activities since delinquency is the cool thing these days. If you are in high school and don't drink or smoke you are part of a minority.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What if the kid blazes with his folks? Does that count?

That sounds like some GOP propaganda right there. It's like saying "People who work out in a gym are 75% less likely to not work out".

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
1. all teens have sex.(or sexual activities, either with themselves or others)
2. activity has nothing to do with the drugs and such. im a very active person and up until recently i was involved in smoking and drinking. its just a concious decision i made not to smoke anymore and when i drink its in very moderate amounts.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
N8 said:

A new study finds that teens who take part in many different kinds of physical activity -- particularly with their parents -- are less likely to get involved in drinking, drugs, violence, smoking, sex, and delinquency than teens who spend a lot of time in front of the television.

sweet! Lil' Manimal is going to be a model citizen :D :rofl: