Quantcast

Fitament issues: 2010 Fox 36 Talas / 2009 Hope Pro2

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am in the process of putting the new front end onto my bike and have come across a pretty serious fit issue. My new Hope Pro2 front disc hub does not clear the fork leg on the 2010 Fox Talas 30. I am trying to setup with a standard 185 Avid rotor, and the inner part of the rotor is scraping on the inside of the fork lower very near the axle. I took the brake off completely and it is definitely the hub width.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas for a solution?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
This seems to be a semi common issue with newer fox forks. There are/were several people on mtbr with the same issues. I know at least one was a king hub....and after many a go-a-round king made new end caps to get things working.

Is it possible that the hub end-caps are in the wrong ends??

On my lyric, my rotor touches a stock adapter (not the fork) when I turn/lean hard. Similar issue (tollerance stacking). This is only with a thicker 'floating' rotor and is a pretty easy fix by simply filing 1/2mm off the adapter...of course you cant take this route with a fork casting.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If a solution is found, please let me know, because i plan to put those EXACT wheels onto a 36 talas. Is this only the 2010?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was switching the end caps while off the comp. I can get the hub to rotate, but it's WAY off center and the dish (which is perfect) is off by 10cm.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What hubs are fox designing around? I truly hope this isn't their attempt to help the bike industry get better fiscally by forcing people to buy new hubs/wheels.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Shimano/Fox developed the new 15mm standard...not sure if they have some sort of compatibility requirements but everything in your setup "should" work together I would think.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If the wheel was built with the end caps switched, then it would have been dished incorrectly. You could check for sure if you could find the flange measurements for the hub.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If the end caps were wrong, the spokes would have been incorrect to get the correct dish...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Maybe...

The numbers that I can find say this:

Center to disc flange = 19.5mm
Center to non-disc flange = 34mm

Find this point on the hub shell. Is the rim centerd over this spot? It should also be equal distance (55mm both sides..it is 20mm?) from this point on the hub shell to the end of the hub end caps/fork dropout faces.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here is the dish with the caps flipped. It does look like hope might have f'ed this up. the thin spacer was on the drive side; thick on non-drive. It needs to be inverted...this f*in sucks. hopefully I can get this sorted tomorrow.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Here is the dish with the caps flipped. It does look like hope might have f'ed this up. the thin spacer was on the drive side; thick on non-drive. It needs to be inverted...this f*in sucks. hopefully I can get this sorted tomorrow.
have another wheel you can try and compare it to?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
nope. all spares are gone.
just talked to a buddy who had the same issue... will probably borrow a wheel for the ride Sat and fix this over the long weekend. Damn, I was hoping to get to ride my new setup.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Call Hope USA in the morning to verify the spacers. They are pretty good people. Who built the wheels? They are new?

You might be able to just re-dish and re-true the wheels (unless the builder used different length spokes and put them on the wrong sides). With hadleys, the difference in spoke length is very minimal and I always use the same spoke lengths all around...this could be the case.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You might be able to just re-dish and re-true the wheels (unless the builder used different length spokes and put them on the wrong sides). With hadleys, the difference in spoke length is very minimal and I always use the same spoke lengths all around...this could be the case.
I'm almost sure I used the same length on my front wheels I have built with Hopes but I'm not 100% sure. I think that the rear was a 2mm difference and the front 1mm difference (so I just rounded on the fronts) but it could be the other way around I guess.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
What i would like to know is, im buying the same fork and same wheels. The wheels im getting are all QR, i plan to buy the 20mm adapter for the front wheel, will i have this same issue? I dont know jack about wheel building, except id like to have a hope pro 2 laced to 819s with a 36 talas

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I swapped the end caps and it fits, but the dish is f*ed. My suggestion would be to have the wheels built around reversing the caps. If the shop can't figure that out, go to another one.
I had a buddy (head wrench) build these, and they are perfect, except we didn't know about hte end cap flip.

Nov 20, 2008
I've had this problem with my 36's, however is was with a floating rotor that clearance was and issue. A friend had the same issue but worse. In both cases I skimmed the adapters and fork lowers. Oh, hubs were Mavic, Hope, and Hadley.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I swapped the end caps and it fits, but the dish is f*ed. My suggestion would be to have the wheels built around reversing the caps. If the shop can't figure that out, go to another one.
I had a buddy (head wrench) build these, and they are perfect, except we didn't know about hte end cap flip.
If you read those UK bike mags - you'll notice that tons of people there run Fox Forks with front Hope hubs. As soon as I read your OP I thought to myself "the end caps are different lengths and are reversed" - looks like you've figured it out.

Looks like the wheel got build with the end caps reversed, so no the wheel needs to get re-dished - which shouldn't be all that hard to do.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mostly just annoying... Given that all parts are new out of thr box.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I just got a hope front hub and converted it to 20mm. I didn't know the adapters were different lengths, which adapter goes on which side? I have not even put the front wheel on the bike yet so I dint know if its right or not.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Read my earlier post with flange measurements. You will only be able to get the correct measurements one way.

Just to add, it sure would be nice if one of the dozen Hope sites has SOME info about their current hubs. It is a little ironic that a company so dedicated to precision CNC cannot even provide measured drawings of their parts.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Yeah i converted mine too and the caps were the same length. i do have an older hope hub though. i think 2007 pro 2.

sucks though

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Pro2 have two identical adapters, it was bulbs that were different.

I have run pro2 on 08/09 36s and they were fine, didnt think fox have changed the lowers.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have a 2010 32 Talas 15QR on the way for my 5 and will be using stans wheels built up with stans new ZTR hubs on it. I also have a few hope wheels with the 15mm adapter floating around I can try and report back early next week.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Reversed the end caps and dished the wheel. Riding tomorrow.

Now if I could just do something about the fact that my wrench ordered a Float instead of the Talas I asked for, which I didn't realize until I had installed it (I've worked 60+ hours this week, I'm a vegetable right now), I'd be in a better mood.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, to clear things up. Turns out it is a Bulb hub... The spacers were on the wrong sides.
Re-dished and it's perfect.