Quantcast

Fitment of Cranks and E.13 Chainguides...???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I figured I'd give this a shot since some of you have different brand cranks and fitment issues. I haven't tried this yet but I'll give it a go on here before I know what I am gonna have to do.

I have a set of FSA V-drive extreme (now called Maximus ISIS) cranks and I'll be using a E.13 SRS guide (mtnx bashguard, 36t chainring). I mounted a set of Truvativ Holzfellers to a SRS guide on my Intense with no issues, but the cranks were for 1 ring only. The new FSA cranks I have have the granny tabs and regular ring tabs so they can run 3 rings.

Now I've heard of people having to grind down or off these tabs. Do you have to do this on most cranks that you're trying to fit a single ring guide to? Will I need to grind off the tabs on my FSA crank arms to make the SRS work? I don't care either way if they are gone or not but I was just wondering if you have to loose those tabs in order for things to fit right and what not?

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i just installed the exact same setup on my bullit ... i went ahead and ground the granny tabs off. if you know you'll never need 'em it just eliminates any future problems. mine looked like they would come close, but i wasn't sure if they'd rub.

when in doubt, grind 'em out!

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
What can I use to grind them off or down? I'm sure a dremel isn't enough power but I could be wrong. I dunno if I'll ever need them......I guess that's my first problem :)

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Just use a dremel. I had to grind the granny tabs off on a set of truvativ cranks to fit my SRS. It takes a while, but it should work. just don't use the cordless dremels.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i went thru 2 or 3 of the thin fiberglass cutters. yeah, the cordless dremel was a waste of money. i ditched it last year and got a regular corded one. the batteries would die halfway into every job.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
This years fit fine on my Sunday...I'd say just try it and if they rub, grind down the granny tabs.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I think I'll wait until I have all the pieces, then try it, and if it doesn't fit I'll modify it unless otherwise :) Shouldn't be too hard.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I have not personally set up these cranks, but it's very likely that you will not have to grind of the tabs. That being said, the best way to grind down granny tabs (or grind just about any other part) is with a bench grinder. We take one just about everywhere on our factory support truck, and if you're getting serious about setting up a nice home workshop, I'd recommend picking one up. They're only about $60 for an entry level one, so they won't break the bank, either.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/103-6990749-2067869?node=552814

Dremels are still great for doing small, delicate work, but when you've got to take down a lot of material, bench grinders are where it's at.

--JP
e13

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Ace hardware had some on sale for $20 after rebates, they were Delta branded I think? I thought about picking up one just to have because at $20 you can't beat that price. Thanks John for pointing a bench grinder out!

I'll just fit it up and see. I guess that's the only real way of telling!

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
ioscope said:
don't use a bech grinder on aluminum. You'll kill yourself.
In my shop, we have been using a stand alone bench grinder on aluminum for years now, albeit not extensively (and yes we replaced the wheels a few times). Mainly just deburring pipe, other small work, etc. If there is alot of material, get a handheld grinder and an aluminum disk.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I ran the STS guide with V-Drives on my HT with the ISCG adapter and now on my prophet using ISCG tabs, no problems and no mods necessary either way.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
You just need the right grindind wheel.
If you use the wrong one you'll clog it up right quick.

I don't know about killing yourself, that sounds a bit extreme.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
E13 products will work with a triple crank system.... were youll start to find trouble is getting a ring to fit right..... A DH ring is a little different than a Middle ring in size.... That s were youll need a little grinding at.... I am running Race Face Prodigy xc <Go ahead laugh> with e13 system.....using an Azonic 38 tooth.....Had to Cut the ring just a Touch to fit in the Middle postion were Crank made for sinlge rings it would have fit perfect to egin with.....If your running a 34/36 that was Made to be used as a Middle ring then you wont have trouble anyways...... If you dont want any grinding/cutting E13 makes a Nice variety of rings
________
HottiestBABE4Cock live

Last edited:

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I'll be using a E.13 ring as well if that makes any difference, a 36t or 38t but more towards the 36 :)