Quantcast

Fitness, Outliers and aging

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I half joke about being an active senior citizen with my friends. then I see blurbs like this https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-51389184/the-town-paying-for-people-over-65-to-get-fit

I have to say that it's weird to think that being fit in your 60s, 70s, 80s, and beyond is an outlier compared to the general cohort vs Normal. There are a couple of seriously senior roadie cycling groups in town that go out on 3-4 hour rides of 30-50 miles but their numbers are less than 40 riders

On dirt I rarely see someone my age or older and when we cross paths we tend to stop and high five. I do see many joggers and walkers but rarely anyone engaged in sports that require balance , cardio, and strength.

the shit you think about when your wife starts dropping medicare parts a & b info on your computer....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, lots of fit and active people well into their 60s and 70s around here, but definitely not everywhere. Like you don't have to be killing it or winning races, but fuck, so many of the boomers at work are just sad in their "I give up"-approach to being healthy. Just discussing this on empty beer in fact, how obesity and inactive lifestyle has taken over most of the US. It's sad. At some point, we'll just be too fat to prevent someone from invading and taking over.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I half joke about being an active senior citizen with my friends. then I see blurbs like this https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-51389184/the-town-paying-for-people-over-65-to-get-fit

I have to say that it's weird to think that being fit in your 60s, 70s, 80s, and beyond is an outlier compared to the general cohort vs Normal. There are a couple of seriously senior roadie cycling groups in town that go out on 3-4 hour rides of 30-50 miles but their numbers are less than 40 riders

On dirt I rarely see someone my age or older and when we cross paths we tend to stop and high five. I do see many joggers and walkers but rarely anyone engaged in sports that require balance , cardio, and strength.

the shit you think about when your wife starts dropping medicare parts a & b info on your computer....
Here in the Bay Area, there are a lot of old studs out there still tearing it up on the bike or in the gym. Sucks getting old though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I see a lot of CTs of peoples of all ages with sarcopenia (low muscle mass) and lots of subcutaneous and visceral fat: out of shape people, in other words.

Being active and fit whether or not in your dotage is definitely not the norm here.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I see a lot of CTs of peoples of all ages with sarcopenia (low muscle mass) and lots of subcutaneous and visceral fat: out of shape people, in other words.

Being active and fit whether or not in your dotage is definitely not the norm here.
And Colorado is one of the ‘fittest’ states.
we are doomed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Seriously - whatever number of old codgers you guys see out getting after it... that number pales in comparison to the giant number of old, fat, non-moving fuckers in the country as a whole. Statistically insignificant. @rideit is right - we're all gonna die.

:D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Seriously - whatever number of old codgers you guys see out getting after it... that number pales in comparison to the giant number of old, fat, non-moving fuckers in the country as a whole. Statistically insignificant. @rideit is right - we're all gonna die.

:D
Its sickening see all the overweight young adults too. @Toshi are you seeing more cases of type 2 diabetes due to obesity? Problem is here in the US, too many convenient shitty food choices when you're hungry.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fatty liver, type 2 diabetes, and obesity are rising all over the world. Colorado just lags by a few years but is not immune.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Its sickening see all the overweight young adults too. @Toshi are you seeing more cases of type 2 diabetes due to obesity? Problem is here in the US, too many convenient shitty food choices when you're hungry.
There are probably more Subways at this point than McDonalds...or pretty damn close. The problem is people go in and order a foot-long of carbs with chips and a sugar-water drink.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
There are probably more Subways at this point than McDonalds...or pretty damn close. The problem is people go in and order a foot-long of carbs with chips and a sugar-water drink.
Yep, its like going to salad places like Fresh Choice and turn a possible healthy low fat/carb meal into a high calorie/fat/carb once you load it up with all the good dressings, croutons etc topped off with a soda & soft serve ice cream.

When I have time to stop home during the week, my lunch usually consists of a can of tuna, 1 low fat cheese stick, 6 strawberry's or banana and a can natural mineral water. On the run, stop at 7/11 or so and usually grab a mineral water, Muscle Milk, package of beef jerky and raw almonds. Then again an occasional In n' Out burger pretty much kicks ass along with Animal style fries!