Quantcast

Fitting / Handlebar Height Question

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
A few days after my last ride, I had some bad lower back pain. This hasn't happened before, but this was probably my longest ride on the new street/DJ bike. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause of the pain, but I'm guessing that it is the cockpit setup of my bike.
I'm riding an Azonic Steelhead Pro XL (effective TT 23.25") with a Hussefelt 40mm stem, Diabolus bars (1.5" rise), 26" wheels, and a Surly Instigator rigid fork (AtoC 447mm). Here's a picture in front of my tacky futon:

I'm about 6'2", with a 34-35" inseam, and fairly long arms. When I'm standing up, I feel like I have to lean too far forward and down to reach. My XC bike has a longer top tube and longer stem, but I don't have any back pain.

I'm thinking that some 3" riser bars may alleviate the problem. Do you think that would solve the problem? Thanks in advance.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
You have the same problem as I do. With a street bike you probably want a short stem because you dont want all your weight over the front tire. Maybe you could get more of a rise on your stem and go a little longer. Not too long but long enough to get you room. And if you have any room, go with some more spacers to raise your bar more.

You live in MD. Where at?

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
Do a search, newb! :nope: (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109603)
rvlacich said:
I live in Montgomery County.
Unfortunately I was a little quick with the hacksaw and didn't leave too much steerer. So that option's out.
Higher rise bars seems like the best bang for the buck. Do you know of any stems that are short and have a higher rise? For that matter, I'm using a 31.8mm stem, so do you know any 3" risers that don't use 22.2mm clamps?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
rvlacich said:
Do a search, newb! :nope: (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109603)

Unfortunately I was a little quick with the hacksaw and didn't leave too much steerer. So that option's out.
Higher rise bars seems like the best bang for the buck. Do you know of any stems that are short and have a higher rise? For that matter, I'm using a 31.8mm stem, so do you know any 3" risers that don't use 22.2mm clamps?
Unfortunately I am not a Newb, I just asked a simple question. You live one county over from me. Maybe we could ride some time.

I cant think of any off the top of my head, but it will be easy to find one on a trials site. That sucks about your fork.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
yeah i had that problem for a little while. i am the same height as you are. wehn i went from my gsr hooligan to my soul titan the head tube was an inch shorter which gave me some back pain for a couple of days but it went away. there arent too many stems that have alot of rise to them. does the pain come back every ride?

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
rpk1988: Just joking around with the newb comment. If anybody is a newb, that would be me. Thanks for your help.

ZEDMAN: I hope the new bar will solve the issue, so I'm not going to worry about the stem too much yet. The pain has not happened after every ride, either. Hopefully the pain was a one time deal, but I don't think the higher bar can't hurt.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I usually get neck cramps when I ride a P.1 that has a 21.5 top tube....so I am hoping the new one (which I ordered and should be on its way) which has a 22.5 top tube will solve my problem. We will see.

Haha, thats cool man dont worry about it.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
rvlacich said:
For that matter, I'm using a 31.8mm stem, so do you know any 3" risers that don't use 22.2mm clamps?
actually yes, the SIC makes a 3" 31.8 bar...
have one laying around if somebody needs one...think it might be cut down a bit...cant remember

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
I had that same problem on my street bike. To solve it I got S&M divebars.... yes there BMX bars but they fixed the problem and they work great... I use to run them on a steelhead now I run them on my evil.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
oscerthegrouch said:
I had that same problem on my street bike. To solve it I got S&M divebars.... yes there BMX bars but they fixed the problem and they work great... I use to run them on a steelhead now I run them on my evil.
7" is a bit too much rise for me, but it's cool to know that somebody has done it. I'd like to see a picture of you riding that Evil.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
ZEDMAN said:
yeah i had that problem for a little while. i am the same height as you are. wehn i went from my gsr hooligan to my soul titan the head tube was an inch shorter which gave me some back pain for a couple of days but it went away. there arent too many stems that have alot of rise to them. does the pain come back every ride?
I'm about the same size too. I just got the large titan myself. I haven't been able to ride it much yet because of the weather (you other Marylanders can attest) but it seems pretty comfy thus far. I have 1" risers and a 60 mm, 5 degree stem. The one day (hour?) I jumped it, my back was just slightly tweaked but I think that was just from lack of being in shape / couch sitting / TV starring and the fact that my back yard is flat and short and to get enough speed to hit my kicker I have to sprint my ass off. I may at some point cut the bars down a bit but other than that I'll probably just leave it alone and get use to it. My other bike is a very ghetto old school SS, almost more of a road bike geo, and I'm really layed out over it. So going from that to the titan is pretty different.

In short I'd wait before you make any big changes and see if your body stretches out and adjusts to the bike. If the pain is chronic make some changes.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
jdschall said:
I'm about the same size too. I just got the large titan myself. I haven't been able to ride it much yet because of the weather (you other Marylanders can attest) but it seems pretty comfy thus far. I have 1" risers and a 60 mm, 5 degree stem. The one day (hour?) I jumped it, my back was just slightly tweaked but I think that was just from lack of being in shape / couch sitting / TV starring and the fact that my back yard is flat and short and to get enough speed to hit my kicker I have to sprint my ass off. I may at some point cut the bars down a bit but other than that I'll probably just leave it alone and get use to it. My other bike is a very ghetto old school SS, almost more of a road bike geo, and I'm really layed out over it. So going from that to the titan is pretty different.

In short I'd wait before you make any big changes and see if your body stretches out and adjusts to the bike. If the pain is chronic make some changes.
I second that about the weather....they were calling for 6-10 inches the other day, but instead it didnt start snowing until rush hour and we only got like 4 inches. The storms around here will make a sudden change anytime.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I think the dialyser Bizhouse stem (BMX stuff) mounts the handlebars directly above the top of the steer tube. It's pretty dandy lookin. Should give you an extra inch of rise too.