Quantcast

Five ten

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm looking getting some 5-10's and have some questions.
1st: Where is a good online dealer???? Chain Reactions prices are pretty good, but what about shipping???
2nd: How is their sizing? Do they run big, small or spot on to your regular size?
3rd: I'm looking at the Impact Karver. How do these compaire to the regular Low Impact, or Sam Hill versions???

cheers

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
2: Pretty close, they come in half sizes. Lastyear I ran a 10.5 in the Impact low, and this year I fit the Karver in 10. I found more variation in skate shoes, 10 in Etnies 11 in DC. Im about a 10.5 and the Karvers in 10 fit me nicely, snug but not uncomfortable at all. Probably better on the tighter fitting side since they stick so well to the pedals, you wont have your feet wandering around in the shoes.

3: Heavier than those two you mentioned (guessing). The inside runs higher to the heel bone to protect from crank rub etc. There is a removeable lace cover which is nice for the mucky days to keep water and mud out of the shoe since it is a water repellent cover. I found that if it overlapped the velcro along the inside it can catch the crank arm pedalling and come loose, so I try not to leave the overlap on that side, instead just on the outside and I haven't had any problems.

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
I went to my LBS and ended up going with the Impact lows. They run very true to size and are suprisingly comfortable. I have a pretty wide foot and was concerned that they would be to narrow, but they fit spot on. They are a bit tight when I tried them on, but coincidentally an employee had the same shoes that he bought about a month ago in the same size, so I slipped it on, and they did stretch a bit and also form to the foot bed. I would say they are a great choice.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
They run pretty true to size as mentioned. I have Impact Lows and Sam Hills. The Hills are more comfortable but I tend to wear the Impacts if it is sloppy.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I can answer 2 of those questions.

CRC is great, no Border fee costs and doesnt take long at all to arrive.
However, you should check out MEC in Halifax, they may not have what your looking for in stock, but you can order from their catalogue and thats where I got mine. ( I know they carried 5 -10 as of last year)
And ya they fit exactly like regular size, I didnt get a chance to try mine on and they fit perfectly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the sammy hills. I dig them a lot. I've talked to a few other people who have the hills that have ridden other models, and they prefer the hills because on the heel of the shoe there is a slight recess for your Achilles.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I've had two pairs. The original impact high tops and I just got a pair of the freeriders. I have a very narrow/skinny foot and found that the five ten's tend to be quite wide. I had to go down a half size on both and probably could have gone down a full size on the impacts.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Online I'd get them from Go-ride or Zappos as others have said. I got a new pair of 5.10s this year to replace my aging yellow impacts, but went with the Freeriders over the Karvers. My old Impacts were larger than marked and it seems the Freeriders are the same, but considerably closer to normal. Maybe if you are unsure of the size, go with the smaller of two.

So, if you're interested in the Freeriders, there's another option. I think they look better (I have the newer white version) than the Karvers if that matters to you. The sole also doesn't mark stuff up, but they might be a bit less grippy than the standard 5.10s.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My impact lows fit pretty true to size. I could probably go a half size up but I always have trouble figuring out my shoe size. I would recommend Backcountry.com if they have them in stock. Shipping is super fast and returns are way easy. Don't bother with CRC, you don't get accurate tracking info and every credit card company I can see will charge you a 3% fee for currency conversion. Even then, they'll probably show up in a plastic bag instead of the box they came in...

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I picked up some Impact lows from Five Ten's site for $40 + shipping a while back, although the sizes were really limited. I'd guess they're gone now, wouldn't hurt to check though.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I went with the Sam Hills over the Karvers, based on the comments here.
Thanks for the imput.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I got my Freeriders at REI for 90 some odd bucks. Glad I did, because the outer sole area is starting to come undone. Nothing like being able to walk in the store and exchange/return at any time.