Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do a search, do a search do a search-search-search
do a search do a search do a search-search-search
do a search, do a search, do a search-search-search
do seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeearch, do a search-SEARCH-search

people like them, they are more flexible than an impact but still not totally floppy. Many people find them more comfortable than the impacts. I would point you to that thread but I don't feel like searching.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah I felt bad as soon as I postred and did, in fact, do a search. If anything I'd like my impacts to be a bit stiffer I think, so sounds like FRs aren't for me. Shame, much prefer the look of them.

Why do people like flexible shoes? On road/XC bikes all top shoes are carbon-soled for super-stiffness, surely really we want the same on our flat pedal shoes, no?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I've had some freeriders for about 6 months now - came from some fanboi SH 5.10's before. They were an improvement over my old Impacts because the SH one's don't have the silly wraparound tounge bit.

The Freeriders are even more comfy. Can't say I notice any difference in the sole either?

Worth noting the dark grey & black ones have a trainer like material over the toes bit - your feet get wet in them! The other colours have leather bits there so they don't let as much water in!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
The freeriders are amazing for street riding, DJ's casual going to the bar and just kickin it shoe. light, comfy and stylish. The new versions of freeriders are fixed over last years where the sole would come apart they had a bad batch of glue in the making, hey it happens. you will dig your shoes mate, im getting mine tomorrow. ill post up some pics.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
yeah I don't know anyone personally that has NOT destroyed the soles of their freeriders. I've got some brand new ones, and after 3 weeks of light use(walking, dirt jumping, etc), the soles are already coming apart. They are definitely not fixed. At least they have a good warranty policy and back their products.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
TBH I find that my impacts don't last THAT long. I get about a season (if I'm lucky) before I feel the need to replace them - but tbh they're past their best after 6 months or so. Sole goes too floppy, unpeels at edges sometimes, and worst of all lace eyelets start ripping through.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
yeah I don't know anyone personally that has NOT destroyed the soles of their freeriders. I've got some brand new ones, and after 3 weeks of light use(walking, dirt jumping, etc), the soles are already coming apart. They are definitely not fixed. At least they have a good warranty policy and back their products.
Yup mine started coming apart on the second ride, my sole just fell out yesterday, they are only three months old. The other thing is when the sides start to peel off they curl out, this causes them to grab on your cranks when you try and get your feet back on the pedals.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Are there any decent 5-10 alternatives? I know in theory you can get any shoe re-soled, but what else is out there that already has a similar sole? E.g. marzocchi bomber shoes used to be 5-10 soled I think?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah I think you're right.

I'm probably gonna go for the fanboi sam hill shoes - at least they have proper lace holes that wont rot and rip through like my current impacts. I might go for the karver instead if they did it in something other than red/black - the lace cover is a good idea, if a bit unsightly - increased protection against water ingress etc.

Am I the only one who gets pissed off at the tongue on the SHFB shoes? It always slides down to the outside of my foot, and leaves the top clear. I use the little lace guides, but it doesn't help.

if anything, I'd be glad to use the originals with the attached tongue...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmm, I didn't know it wasn't attached in the sam hills. This is the problem with e-shopping! :) Anyone else got anything negative to say about the SHs versus the normal impact2s?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what about the shimano freeride shoes? I honestly wouldn't mind a slightly less grippy sole albeit with similar traction...eh that doesn't make sense. Think hard sole waffle grip rather than soft sole flat bottom...5.10s really lock you in, and sometimes that can be a bad thing.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wow, I must be one of the lucky ones, I got a set of the freeriders and they're still chuggin strong after a year of use, and I use them for everything, from casual/normal wear to riding. I dig them.

The sole is definitely flexier then the impacts though (I had a set of the marzocchi bomber shoes, which were impacts with different logos. They were NOT the impact 2's, which are a much better shoe). I like a little flexier shoe to a point, i have better grip on the pedals and I always know exactly where my feet are, but I don't like it flopping about. The freerider nails it for me. The only time I have any complaints are on the 13-14th run of a day where my feet are too tired to provide any strength of their own, and I would rather a stiffer sole.

Keep in mind I have size 10.5 feet, not humungous feet that can put a lot more leverage in flexing the shoe.

I would steer clear of the marzocchi shoes. Those things are tanks, they seriously weigh like 4 lbs a piece, which sucks to try and pedal or sprint on. Even a quick pedal out of a corner is just not worth it most of the time. ridiculously heavy.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You just said the marzocchi bomber shoes were just impacts with different logos - then you say they're 4lb tanks to be avoided. Make your mind up! :)

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I had some of the Freeriders that fell apart, but 5.10 send me a brand new pair free under warranty (1 year warranty). I replaced them with a set of the new Basic's, since I wanted a non marking sole.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You just said the marzocchi bomber shoes were just impacts with different logos - then you say they're 4lb tanks to be avoided. Make your mind up! :)
impacts and impact 2's are different. Sam hills are impact 2's. The bomber was a rebranded impact 1 from several years ago (or so I understand). All I know is that every set of impact 2's I've held are reasonably light, and my bombers were ridiculously heavy.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
what about the shimano freeride shoes? I honestly wouldn't mind a slightly less grippy sole albeit with similar traction...eh that doesn't make sense. Think hard sole waffle grip rather than soft sole flat bottom...5.10s really lock you in, and sometimes that can be a bad thing.
I am interested in hearing about the shimano's too, AM40 I think?
From what I understand they come with different insoles so you can adjust how stiff they are. I'd wager they aren't as sticky as the 5.10 but they may be worth a try.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am interested in hearing about the shimano's too, AM40 I think?
From what I understand they come with different insoles so you can adjust how stiff they are. I'd wager they aren't as sticky as the 5.10 but they may be worth a try.
I had these too, mine had holes in the soles after six months however Dark Cycles Arachnids are pretty hard on shoes. They were better than my 5-10s but the outsole is quite thin and they don't have much padding for the fatter folk.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
I much prefer my SH to my old normal Impacts. Might get some freeriders though as skate shoes tend to be wider around the toes and my current shoes pinch me.

What Id really like is a mp56 resoled in stealth rubber. I find my mp66 really comfy but shimano have discontinued mp56 in the uk.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Get the Karvers, I have had them a year and a half and had none of
the problems listed with the impacts. I will order another pair
when these go but, might make it through a second season.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I have the AM40s and I think the quality is much better than 5.10. I didn't have any of the problems that many of had with your 5.10s, but the fact that the mid sole was cardboard pissed me off. I actually had the Bomber shoe but a few friends also have 5.10s and they are also cardboard. The AM40s don't grip quite as well but still plenty good enough.