Quantcast

fix broken granite counter corner?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey, so i stupidly just broke the corner off my granite countertop. a piece maybe 6"x6"x6". The counter is an island, a large single piece with a sink cut in, so I can't replace a part of it.

Anyone know if there is an adhesive that would work? some sort of epoxy maybe?

edited to add: I have some regular Lepage "speedset" 2-part epoxy. says it works on stone. thoughts? I also have some JB Weld Marine Weld, but I think that's for steel. I'm thinking the regular epoxy might work, but I wonder if there's something better suited to this application.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Can't help on a specific adhesive, but the corner was broken off of my in-laws countertop and glued back on. Its solid and seamless.

Provided you still have all of the pieces, it should be fixable.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hey, so i stupidly just broke the corner off my granite countertop. a piece maybe 6"x6"x6". The counter is an island, a large single piece with a sink cut in, so I can't replace a part of it.

Anyone know if there is an adhesive that would work? some sort of epoxy maybe?

edited to add: I have some regular Lepage "speedset" 2-part epoxy. says it works on stone. thoughts? I also have some JB Weld Marine Weld, but I think that's for steel. I'm thinking the regular epoxy might work, but I wonder if there's something better suited to this application.
I was able to fit them together nicely and figured they could be reattached. My friend Mark came over with some clamps and a few pieces of wood. He carefully lined everything up. And used some Gorilla Glue to reattach the pieces. Worked like a champ. His recommendation is to carefully follow the directions on the glue bottle.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Natural rock is stupid, rip it off and throw it in the bin.

What you want is some scrap rock that has been turned in to powder and bonded with resin, it's all the rage, can even cost more than a piece of real rock if you try hard enough!

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Saw that one but didn't click on it at first. It's a good guide, thanks.
Call a professional or ask @stoney.

Theriously though, call a granite counter company and ask what they would use. But pretend to be interested in whatever sales pitch they wanna lay on you. They're probably bored anyway.
That's a good call. I'll call the company from whom I bought the counter.
6" thick?:fancy:
Ha! No. A triangular piece broke off. That was the three sides. It's about 2" thick.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Super glue. Seriously. Do the initial gluing and fill any voids/cracks bit by bit. Set super glue can be sanded and polished. If it ever gets scuffed, lightly sand the area, add more glue, then sand and polish it again. And set super glue is way harder than epoxy.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For anyone interested, I called the granite cutters that made my counter. He said clear, quick-set epoxy is what they use. Then they buff and re-seal it.