Quantcast

Fixed gear fever

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
that shirt will look great on you when I pass you becuase you're spun out :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Does riding Fixxed help develop a better spin.....?
people say yes, but my knees are just too old to justify the risk, so I went single-speed. It has helped not only my spin, but also my strength and out of saddle climbing. I even noticed that my biceps are slightly more muscular as I pull up on the bars when I'm out of my saddle.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
people say yes, but my knees are just too old to justify the risk, so I went single-speed. It has helped not only my spin, but also my strength and out of saddle climbing. I even noticed that my biceps are slightly more muscular as I pull up on the bars when I'm out of my saddle.
So it helps by making you push a bigger gear....?
what about safety in tight traffic....?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So it helps by making you push a bigger gear....?
what about safety in tight traffic....?
my gearing is what is good for me on flat road. I only push a "bigger gear" when I'm going up hills or into a head wind.

Once I'm up to speed, I'm there. In multi-lane traffic, I'll jump to the traffic side of a stopped bus at least once a week or take a lane when necessary.

So, I don't think it's any less safe for me.

One reason I don't want a fixie is cuz of braking. Maybe it's mental, but I can skid my SS locking up the front and rear brakes by hand. I don't skid on purpose tho :D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
LO went single speed to get better snap against the cars in traffic :p

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
So fixxies build stength on climbs but wouldn't you loose a nice training effect in the flats....or is spinning like a hamster on crack good...?

Wish i had one to take on a test ride.....

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
So fixxies build stength on climbs but wouldn't you loose a nice training effect in the flats....or is spinning like a hamster on crack good...?

If set up properly, they should be set to cruise on the flats and be a little tougher on the climbs. The sacrifice is downhills where you would spin out, but with a fixie you are either going to be spinning like a rabid gerbil or applying some back pressure to control your speed.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

Riding a single speed helps you build power across a range of crank RPMs, so yes, spinning like a hamster on crack can be beneficial