Quantcast

Fixed Gears.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Sweet steel road bike (suspected Palo Alto bikes frame, not that it means anything), Phil wheels, black Rust-o-leum paint.

Need pics...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
1973(ish) Mercier 200 series left Side drive w/ dura ace cranks.

I'm going to replace the frame with a Knight Cycles 3 pound track frame. True Temper S3 tubing, total build weight = roughly 12-13 pounds(I hope)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My winter/townie/alleycat bike fresh out of the box from a trip to my parents house

Sterling 27"frame
48 hole sun Mistral rims on DT high-flange race hubs, 4x
Conti top touring 38 front, 32 rear
38/16 on 170mm

I haven't put the bright yellow fenders back on yet

The geometry is nearly identical to my Ritchey road logic, which has been my primary road bike for the past 12 years. With the build I have I regularly take shortcuts UP stair sets and generally ride with all disregard to getting flats of killing my wheels. Plus it is slow enough that I get way less windchill in the winter. It is a suprisingly capable race bike, at least for the shorter alleycats.

Attachments

ntron350

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
murland
bianchi pista from another decade. i bought this campy record equiped bianchi w/ inch pitch drivetrain from the '60s for $200.

May 1, 2006
i ride an '06 pista. how many of you guys have a front brake? some cases it would make some rides a lot safer and make me a lot less nervous, but i love the idea of no brakes/gears/freewheel.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
how many of you guys have a front brake?
I run a front brake. I try not to use it much, but I live in SF where there are lots of steep hills and even more stupid people in cars. That front brake has saved my ass a bunch of times. Yeah it's not as fashionable, but I got over fashion a long time ago.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I run a front brake. I try not to use it much, but I live in SF where there are lots of steep hills and even more stupid people in cars. That front brake has saved my ass a bunch of times. Yeah it's not as fashionable, but I got over fashion a long time ago.
There was a fixie crash in the Broadway tunnel during a CM where an ambulance was called in.

No front brake either....

elRey

Turbo Monkey
i aint got no brake on mine either. done a couple alleycats on it and cant wait till the weather is better so i can go riiiiide. currently in between frames so no pics. i am looking at the pake track frame and also the brass knuckle.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Ahh what the hell I'll post this up here , I'm sure some of you might have seen this bike on "other" forums but here's the fixed gear bike i build for KidRobot.

Before anyone comments YES they have it up for sale at their Miami store of a ungodly amount of cash , so please don't flame me for what they want to retail this thing at , thanks

I handbuilt the frame , had all the parts custom powdercoated , re-covered a Macneil Pivotal seat with snowflake white Ostrich leather
and made some cool toy valve caps for it.
I had allot of fun building it ! Fixies are fun , I'm totally hooked now !

The guys over at kidrobot spec'd the overall look , I just made it happen in the end.
I'm building myself another one with a more down to earth parts kit to ride around on and YES it's going to have a front brake so I don't kill myself as OG mentioned people in cars are down right crazy!

Monkey
I have been seeing a lot of fixies around my town, I admit they look nice and simple. But here is my question, and please don't flame me for asking, but since many fixed gear bikes already have front brake, would it be too complicated to have a single speed bike with a freewheel, with brake on front and back? I mean, not too much more weight but a lot safer to ride?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I have been seeing a lot of fixies around my town, I admit they look nice and simple. But here is my question, and please don't flame me for asking, but since many fixed gear bikes already have front brake, would it be too complicated to have a single speed bike with a freewheel, with brake on front and back? I mean, not too much more weight but a lot safer to ride?
Well... I think part of it is that you have to pedal all of the time and you can back pedal and hop/skid to slow down. It's not the most practical of bikes. For some reason or another a lot of bike messengers use them and they are popular with hipsters.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Single speed and fixed are two completely different experiences when riding. You can do some really sweet things with a fixed gear, coasting is not one of those things however.

The point of a fixed gear is to not have a freewheel.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS

lowering the fork to ~90mm tomorrow also getting a half link and better post. Then I think it will be ready for the woods.

Wheel swap in the next month or two, I just scammed those from my spare parts pile. (way too overbuilt for the use)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It would not be complicated at all, but it is a different beast. Not all single speeds are fixed gears. The name means that the rear cog is "fixed" to the rear hub, as in there is no freewheel mechanism. Most "single speeds" have a freewheel so you can coast.

My current fixie is an old road bike that I first converted to a single speed with two brakes like you describe. At the time I was living in Boston and commuting through the winter. My derailleurs and cogs were getting crammed full of salty mud and other road crap just about every ride, so I stripped that stuff off. Later on I switched over to a fixed rear wheel with two brakes, then eventually I removed the rear brake. That was probably 8-9 years ago, before fixies became a fashion accessory.

Singlespeeds and fixies shall some qualities, like simplicity, ease of maintenance, no guessing about the right gear, no choice but to work harder if you face a hill, etc., but most people can jump on a singlespeed and be fine. Fixies are more challenging to ride and offer a very different riding experience, one that is really rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Ahh what the hell I'll post this up here , I'm sure some of you might have seen this bike on "other" forums but here's the fixed gear bike i build for KidRobot.

Before anyone comments YES they have it up for sale at their Miami store of a ungodly amount of cash , so please don't flame me for what they want to retail this thing at , thanks

I handbuilt the frame , had all the parts custom powdercoated , re-covered a Macneil Pivotal seat with snowflake white Ostrich leather
and made some cool toy valve caps for it.
I had allot of fun building it ! Fixies are fun , I'm totally hooked now !

The guys over at kidrobot spec'd the overall look , I just made it happen in the end.
I'm building myself another one with a more down to earth parts kit to ride around on and YES it's going to have a front brake so I don't kill myself as OG mentioned people in cars are down right crazy!
fugly.