Quantcast

Fixed Gears.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana

lowering the fork to ~90mm tomorrow also getting a half link and better post. Then I think it will be ready for the woods.

Wheel swap in the next month or two, I just scammed those from my spare parts pile. (way too overbuilt for the use)
Left side drive train?

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
That kidwhatever bike is really ugly. Not knocking the builder but...just why?

I really hope this fad is over soon.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I don't hate fixed gears, I actually have one, I hate the people who are all high and mighty because they ride a fixed gear. I have to deal with them every day working at a bike shop.

I said Fad, as in they are a fashion accessory right now. I didn't say they need to disappear. Once the fad is over then I'll be happy. I don't expect everyone to give them up, I know people who have been riding them since the 90's and I'm sure they'll still be doing it along with a lot of others, it's the fashion part and attitude that comes with it which pisses me off.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
trust me i know what your saying, i too work at a shop and see it all the time. i think they are so popular mostly because they are so much fun. and they are low maintenance and can be fairly cheap. so whats not to love. i too hate all the hipsters though

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
Mike G:
assuming its mostly flat terrain down there, are you still running the stock gear combo on your Langster? 42/16, i believe is what those come

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
speaking of "hipsters", can I just ride a fixie in downtown without having a tatoo showing on my leg, calf or ankle? I want to be fairly acceptable, like w/ my Freeride buds....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
speaking of "hipsters", can I just ride a fixie in downtown without having a tatoo showing on my leg, calf or ankle? I want to be fairly acceptable, like w/ my Freeride buds....
:rofl:

You better get some stick on tattoos!

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Update on my Scott. I've been riding some single track with it it's super fun. I do need some better cranks and wheels thou.
(the Hozefellers are tweaked from their days on my DH bike and the rims are just way to heavy for xc use)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm hoping to build one up soon for riding around town and some semi-legit road training, seeing some good inspiration here.

Seems to me like offroad on a fixie would be downright impossible, especially singletrack. You can only brake at your rear wheel and you can't corner past a certain amount. Is it better than I'm imagining it to be? Sure builds some clean looking bikes.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
glad you like it. The crummy old free ride wheels will be gone in a few day and replaced with a nice new set of silver Mavic CrossRides. Should look even better then!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I really need to dust this puppy off... tires are flat and it's been severly neglected since I left RI in '04. I used to ride this to work (22miles) once in a while back when I was in shape!!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
seattle has some steep hills, and it rains every once in a while. we also have lots of hipsters who ride fixies without brakes (and without a helmet, of course). add the two together and you have a recipe for cracking your head open: just a week or two ago i took care of a guy who gave himself multiple facial fractures + a clavicle fracture after locking up the rear wheel and discovering that wasn't enough.

i prescribed him a front brake and a helmet. true story.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been dabbling with brakeless when it's dry out, but when there is any chance of rain, the front brake goes on the bike.
Funny, I know people who do the same thing, and I just don't understand why you don't leave it on...what's up with that? Just the desire to minimize? I don't use my front brake that much but I am sure glad it's there when I need it.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Funny, I know people who do the same thing, and I just don't understand why you don't leave it on...what's up with that? Just the desire to minimize? I don't use my front brake that much but I am sure glad it's there when I need it.
yeah i have no brakes purely for aesthetics. ill admit it i think it looks way better without and honestly the brake wasnt touched once the whole time it was on the bike. im sure someday i will wish i had one. but i will cross that bridge when i get to it

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

Now has pursuit bars from the Russian track team when they defected the LA olympics. They are not a standard diameter bar and are credited for inventing the pursuit. This is an ex-Olympian's bike. (Rory O'Reilly) The perks of working in a shop, you just have cool free stuff laying around! I'll have to snap a pic of the current setup.

I like brakeless since it's lower maintenance, cheaper, and looks better. Plus I find it pretty easy to slow down since I'm used to a brakeless BMX bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like brakeless since it's lower maintenance, cheaper, and looks better. Plus I find it pretty easy to slow down since I'm used to a brakeless BMX bike.
Looks better, I understand, even if I don't agree. But less maintenance and cheaper? Seriously? I put the front brake on my fixie 8 or 9 years ago and haven't touched it since.

But don't get angry - from the size of that rig (which is pretty sweet, BTW) it looks like you are a big dude.

:biggrin:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Looks better, I understand, even if I don't agree. But less maintenance and cheaper? Seriously? I put the front brake on my fixie 8 or 9 years ago and haven't touched it since.

But don't get angry - from the size of that rig (which is pretty sweet, BTW) it looks like you are a big dude.

:biggrin:
The times I have had to jam on the brakes in an vehicle is only twice in current memory (road rager on the bridge, blind turn at Skeggs).

But the day you need a front brake and you don't have it because of looks, enjoy the pain.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

Was fixed, but now has rack, fenders, lights, a Sturmey-Archer 8-speed internal hub setup out back. A child trailer in the house now as well, to expnd my grocery getting abilities. :) No kids, thank god!

Interloc road frame, was setup with Dura Ace/Ultegra 9spd. stuff, but swapped over with a White Industries ENO hub once I found I prefered to road ride fixed gear. Makes for a nice comfy time.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
This is my commuter bike. I'm not much of a hipster...just enjoy the novelty (and challenge?) of the fixed gear. These are actually some photos I took of a recently added lighting setup, but you'll get the idea.