Quantcast

Fixed my small stream flyrod

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
It must have had a manufacturing defect. The carbon split just above the first ferrule while casting. Its a 6 piece 7.5 foot 4wt graphite rod. I sanded down a solid fiberglass rod to fit the inside diameter of the broken section. I loaded up the broken section with JB Weld and inserted the fiberglass blank. On the outside I applied a layer of JB Welds and wrapped a layer of thread into it. after it set up I pit a reel and line on it and did some casting, works like new, Tomorrow when its fully cured I will add another layer of JB Weld to clean up the appearance

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It must have had a manufacturing defect. The carbon split just above the first ferrule while casting. Its a 6 piece 7.5 foot 4wt graphite rod. I sanded down a solid fiberglass rod to fit the inside diameter of the broken section. I loaded up the broken section with JB Weld and inserted the fiberglass blank. On the outside I applied a layer of JB Welds and wrapped a layer of thread into it. after it set up I pit a reel and line on it and did some casting, works like new, Tomorrow when its fully cured I will add another layer of JB Weld to clean up the appearance

Cool, I repaired a pole that cracked at the top of one of the segments last year. I was a giant shorefishing pole and a shark *might* grab the steel line, so I wanted to make sure it's strong, even though the guy that gave it to me said it was like that for a while. Just used some of the extra carbon fiber I had on hand and mixed up some resin and hardener. Pretty sure it's not going to break now.