Quantcast

Fixing broken M3

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, I cracked my swing arm in three places today and it looks like if I do one more ride it'll break in half.

Unfortunately I have a race this weekend and no other bike to ride...then I leave for Angel Fire, NM two days later.

Has anyone ever used JB Weld for something like that? I just need it to hold up for the next two races. I'm talking to Intense tomorrow morning to see if they can overnight me a new arm. Otherwise I'm pretty much screwd.

It cracked right at the welds (both sides of swing arm). Can that be re-welded as a temp. fix? I know a really good local welder that could help me out but am not sure if that will just make it worse.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Haaaahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! Great response to an absurd post. Dude, JB weld it and make to sure to film your race run..priceless footy for sure. Seriously, don't even think about riding it. A frame breaking at the wrong time can mean literally life or death.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
popsickle sticks and tape!!

dont worry, Intense will get you rolling again in two weeks....and then 2 more.....and 2more.....and
.................................................................................................................................... ......................................ah you will have it by 09 at the latest.........

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I heard toothpaste works better for cracked frames. Or Gorilla glue, yeah try Gorilla glue.

In all seriousness your best bet is to find a good friend to lend you a bike. Or if you're lucky Intense might overnight you a swing arm.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
talk to intense and the welding seems like the best option unless intense hooks u up not sure about jb weld for that, but a friend used jb weld before on a cracked engine block to get his boat through the end of a poker run its not that terrible of stuff for emergencies but probably not for this

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ha you said JB weld!!!!!

Seriously, if you are really going to fix this, take it to a welder, and have it tig welded. That way you limit the amount of heat that is put into the metal, remember tig weld's are a pretty concentrated weld. Just make sure you have a good welder do it

Oct 9, 2006
I have ridden welded frames for years and not had catastrophic failures...I say get a competent welder to throw a bead on if you are not worried about warranty. JB weld however will not stand up to that kind of abuse. Make sure he removes any contaminants from around the weld sites first and then it helps to grind a little groove where the crack is to help with penetration(thats what she said....hahahaha, derpity derpity derrrr)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
JB weld is nowhere near ghetto enough.

I have a far better idea.

First, go get some fiberglass sheets, then cut them up (you don't need gloves and only p*ssies wear masks). Next, start laying the fiberglass around the rear triangle. I would suggest using some fast-drying epoxy (just buy it at your local hardware store) to set the fiber glass in place, but then you'll need to start painting on some better stuff (the ultimate-strength epoxy or whatever). It'll be a little expensive, but looking sh*t-hot on race-day is priceless. Just start wrapping layer upon layer of that crap on your rear triangle. Worried about strength? Wrap it some more. Eventually you'll end up with a safety-net where even if the main triangle snaps completely in those palces, you'll still be able to cruise to a stop or hell, sprint to the finish line. If you're wondering if I've been drinking, it's only some left-over coors from graduation party, so the answer to that question is "no". You know you want to try this, so please post the pictures after it's done.

Mar 1, 2005
I had a freind who cracked his GT aggressor where the headtube and top tube meet before a contest and held it together with rope and a ton of duck tape and he won .The most insane thing ive ever seenin my bmx years.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
So, I cracked my swing arm in three places today and it looks like if I do one more ride it'll break in half.

Unfortunately I have a race this weekend and no other bike to ride...then I leave for Angel Fire, NM two days later.

Has anyone ever used JB Weld for something like that? I just need it to hold up for the next two races. I'm talking to Intense tomorrow morning to see if they can overnight me a new arm. Otherwise I'm pretty much screwd.

It cracked right at the welds (both sides of swing arm). Can that be re-welded as a temp. fix? I know a really good local welder that could help me out but am not sure if that will just make it worse.
Skip the race this weekend and try to get over to Intense. They are no more than 3-4 hours from S.B, or just go on your way to A.F (and ride something else for this weekend). Try talking to the warrenty guy Brendan Collier (I think he is still the warranty guy) tell 'em you REALLY need the frame fixed and you are willing to go to the factory in person. I wouldn't get over Intense just because of this however.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
get some Jasco remover, clean the swing arm of paint, take it to a machine shop and have them weld it up. you'll be fine for a coulple weeks worth of races.

Jasco is the Sh*t!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
He used to drive an E30. That should explain it all right there.

Mike - If you need a bike, call me. I still cant ride, and wont be able to until I get back from Japan in July.
Thanks man. I'll let you know! If Intense does not fix it then I might hit you up because your bike rides pretty much like mine.

I might be able to borrow a friend's Sunday too, so it looks like I'll defenately be able to race Firestone and Angel Fire :)

You'll be hearing from me by tonight if things don't work out (I can swap over my components too so there's nothing of yours to break besides the frame).

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
get some Jasco remover, clean the swing arm of paint, take it to a machine shop and have them weld it up. you'll be fine for a coulple weeks worth of races.

Jasco is the Sh*t!

I used it to remove romic spring paint. Sand blasting would even take that stuff off!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ignore the cracks. They'll just go away if you ignore them.

Seriously, duct tape and zip tie it AFTER the JB weld dries. That way it will stabilize the entire area.....:thumb: :thumb:

Be sure to take before and after pictures!

:D