Quantcast

Fixing my BMX bike.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a Redline RL 360 (the one on the right)

1. It needs new cranks. I bent the 1 piece crank two years ago and never fixed it. I should get a 2 or 3 piece one. Would I need a new bb and chainring too? I want some cranks that are strong, but not titanic anchors. Can you monkeys reccomend some. Oh, and cheaper is better.

2. The seatpost is stuck in the seattube... I've tried wd-40 and hitting the seat upside down with a rubber mallet and it's still in there. What else could I do. I don't mind getting a new post if I can't get it out. Any ideas?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
chances are, if you can get the post to go farther into the seat tube, it'll come out once it starts moving. maybe try smacking it into the bike, that would likely transfer more force directly to the post and possibly loosen whatever is keeping it stuck. also, look at odyssey cranks, they seem nice and aren't overly expensive. also, there are a bunch of cranks to be had from tons of other companies, so browse around and try to find some that seem well designed and fit your requirements.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Good idea, I'll have to try that. I'm not even sure what size I need (standard american BB?).
Also, I use 170mm cranks on my mtb, should I get the same for it?

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Good idea, I'll have to try that. I'm not even sure what size I need (standard american BB?).
Also, I use 170mm cranks on my mtb, should I get the same for it?
Yes, you'll need an American BB.

This is a good place to start:
http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?cat=PARTS&show=Cranks

You're looking for a set with both arms, the spindle, and the BB cups/bearings. I suggest Profile if you can afford 'em. If not, go with anything (Redline Flight's are a classic and would match the bike... but you'd have to buy the bearings separately, aka here--> http://www.danscomp.com/455202.php?cat=PARTS ).
Stay away from the oversized cranks, though. That bike is a racing bike and some of those big 'ol cranks could really weigh your bike down.

As for crank arm length, the norm for a racing bike is 180mm, for quick gate starts. If you're not serious about racing, you could go with 175, to make 'em closer to your mtb ride. 170 is pretty short for bmx though.

Hope that helps.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
alu post: pour coca cola into the seatpost tube via the BB and wait overnight.

steel post: beat on the facker until it comes loose. a big ol' (20"+) pipe wrench might do the trick as well.

as far as using that bike for dirt and street, only time and your smoothness will tell. you might kill that poor thing in a hurry.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, def get some Redline cranks to match the bike. Redline Flights would be better... but, those Redline Monster's look like a decent crank at a great price. See any Redline Flights on ebay?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
dont forget your going to need new pedals... for some reason 3-piece crank arms fit different spindle sizes than 1-piece cranks.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Damn...I have some nice Eastern Bikes pedals. Flight cranks are at lest twice the price of the monsters.

Do you really think it will get messed up street riding? It's chromoly and doesn't feel fragile at all.