Quantcast

Fixing scratches in carbon frame?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I have some superficial scratches in my swing arm for carbon AM bike. I'm not worried about them but I figured I'd make use of my Invisi-shield kit that I got a long time ago. The thing is as soon as I go to apply them, I'll get bubbles and whatnot from the scratched surface.

Is patching and smoothing the scratches on carbon the same as what we used to do back in the day with suspension fork stanchions?: file down, smooth out, use clear or black nail polish.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I found that I got a few bubbles in places with the invisashield, but after a few days they went away. Just use lots of your baby-shampoo formula and get it nice and slathered. I thought some of the stickers went on easy and perfect, and others were kind of shitty, but after a while they got much better.

Otherwise, I wouldn't use nail polish, that crap would fall out of fork stanchions in a few days. Just use some kind of epoxy. What you could do is take some epoxy, dip it in there, then wrap it with some stiff pressure tape, give it a few days to cure, remove tape, then sand down epoxy. Would kind of look like shit most likely, and most likely your scratches aren't deep enough where this would make much sense IMO. I've done it though.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ok well it sounds like I'll smooth out the scratches if I find some raised edges and then slap on the invisi-shield and call it a day. I'll be careful to use the solution properly and press out the air bubbles as best as I can.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok well it sounds like I'll smooth out the scratches if I find some raised edges and then slap on the invisi-shield and call it a day. I'll be careful to use the solution properly and press out the air bubbles as best as I can.
Use gravity to your advantage while putting on the invisiframe. I found if I was working the stickers so I was trying to get the bubbles to go up, it was easier to get better results. This requires moving your frame all around in the stand to get the direction right, but seemed to help. Not doing this is where I got some more bubbles on the top tube, most eventually went away, but probably more critical for you with the scratches.