Quantcast

Fixing Shimano Wandering Bite Point

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I can justify a lot of crazy expenses when it comes to bike stuff but so far I can't justify $800 brakes.
I also thought I couldn't, turns out it was fairly easy.
I'm with @Udi on this one, brakes are one of the most important parts regarding confidence while riding and they are critical for safety. My fork was 750 € used from a sponsored good friend and I installed a 430 $ coil upgrade. Why would I spend less for brakes? Udi's posts in this thread hit the nail pretty good.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
you mean $800 at once? as opposed to $800 spread over 3-4 years for brakes that aren't as reliable?
Fair point. But, more of my Shimano brakes have been replaced under warranty than have not. And although Trickstuff mfg Seems to addressed most or all of the known issues they are still new. If a 5-6 year old pair is still good as new, then id agree with you.

Also, gray set in stock too. :panic:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fair point. But, more of my Shimano brakes have been replaced under warranty than have not. And although Trickstuff mfg Seems to addressed most or all of the known issues they are still new. If a 5-6 year old pair is still good as new, then id agree with you.

but it comes without the ticking time bomb bonus.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
nice. but not dentist nice.

honestly i'm getting more and more curious about this kind of setup. i'll need to read up in the brake thread
I also have/had old LX M585 brakes on a winter bike, an LX pair and a combo of LX lever with an XT M785 caliper, a few years newer. The old LX brakes still run strong, the newer XT caliper already shat the bed.
I would buy the LX as a NOS again.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Fair point. But, more of my Shimano brakes have been replaced under warranty than have not
But only replaced with more Shimano brakes. That's like being reimbursed with a second Titanic ticket.

And although Trickstuff mfg Seems to addressed most or all of the known issues they are still new. If a 5-6 year old pair is still good as new, then id agree with you.
Time will tell I guess. Udi said his were absolutely the same after one season of bike park runs which is something I've rarely seen any brake do. But sample size isn't great.

$1300 AUD :(

And they're never discounted from what I've seen. I've never even seen any 2nd hand.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hope V4's

No problems in 5 years.
Half the price (?)
Reliable. Not one issue.
Goodridge lines available.
Made in England.
On all 3 bikes now.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The ride monkey way of life.

Thread created in 2010- Shimano brakes suck. - 1,700 post later and someone creates a new post.

Thread created in 2019- Shimano brakes suck. 27,713 post later and someone recommend a brake that works... FUCK OFF!

Thread created in 2043- Shimano brakes still suck suck.
I'd argue there is a generalized tendency to defend Shimano brakes at all cost. For instance, Avid/SRAM brakes have been failing significantly less than Shimanos (most of the time because of lacking proper QC at the factory), and they even offer rebuild kits. People have bashed on Codes over and over again, when bad toroid seals (incorrect material) was the most common failure cause. A rebuild after with original and widely available rebuild kits and they were OK.

Yet the Shimano brakes are not just prone to shit the bed in their second year, but absolutely certain to do it, and people still finds a way to think of these failures as sporadic. This becomes more insulting when one takes into account the brand doesn't offer any kind of spares outside of complete levers or calipers, when most of the other manufacturers do.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yet the Shimano brakes are not just prone to shit the bed in their second year, but absolutely certain to do it, and people still finds a way to think of these failures as sporadic. This becomes more insulting when one takes into account the brand doesn't offer any kind of spares outside of complete levers or calipers, when most of the other manufacturers do.
i've got 2 sets of XT way older than that. i'm getting nervous you guys.