Fla. restaurant sells $100 hamburger

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:drool:

Fla. restaurant sells $100 hamburger
Wed Jun 21, 7:17 AM ET

BOCA RATON, Fla. - A hundred bucks might buy you more than six dozen burgers from McDonald's, but the the swanky Old Homestead Steakhouse will sell you one brawny beef sandwich for the same price.

Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams could barely speak between bites as he devoured the 20-ounce, $100 hamburger billed as the "beluga caviar of sandwiches."

"Heaven on a bun," restaurant owner Marc Sherry said.

The burger debuted Tuesday at the restaurant in the Boca Raton Resort and Club, where a membership costs $40,000 and an additional $3,600 a year.

"We've never had a hamburger on our menu here so we really wanted to go to the extreme," Sherry said, calling it "the most decadent burger in the world."

At about 5 1/2 inches across and 2 1/2 inches thick, the mound of meat is comprised of beef from three continents — American prime beef, Japanese Kobe and Argentine cattle.

The bill for one burger, with garnishing that includes organic greens, exotic mushrooms and tomatoes, comes out to $124.50 with tax and an 18 percent tip included. The restaurant will donate $10 from each sale to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

___

On the Net:

Old Homestead Steak House: http://www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/index2.htm

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I love a good burger. But, Kobe beef, ground up and mixed with anything else, is a supreme waste of money.

I don't care about their pittance of a donation, either.

I hope the steak-fries are included... but probably not.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it seems as though the 'exotic' mushrooms are sh!itake...oh, how novel!

for that price they better be shaving white truffles over the burger.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Lame, and anyone who gets one is lame too. Who needs a pound and a quarter in one burger? I would rather pay less for a decent 12 oz NY steak than $100 for a fancy 20 oz burger.

But people go to Boca to spend their money and die, so it's fitting.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Nobody said:
No it isn't. You just need to try it.

for a total flavor flip, add banana.

mmmmm.
:stupid:
I worked at a Ruby's diner (40s or 50s diner, I can't remember) where I was the dessert and milkshake person for about 6 months. A lot of people would be surprised as to what you can put in a milkshake. My personal favorite still has to be a "coffee, oreo, banana malt." We even made a milkshake out of coffee grounds once, and it turned out pretty damn good.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BillT said:
Yup...love that place. My favorite combo is the lamb burger, sweet potatoe fries, and a peanut butter shake.
Thanks for the tip--I'm heading to Vegas in two weekends and will be staying at the Luxor.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Update:

Thanks for the suggestions on the Burger Bar. We visited the restaurant yesterday to eat and watch the World Cup. The food was pretty damn good, and I most definitely expect to visit there again the next time I do Vegas.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
OGRipper said:
Lame, and anyone who gets one is lame too. Who needs a pound and a quarter in one burger? I would rather pay less for a decent 12 oz NY steak than $100 for a fancy 20 oz burger.

But people go to Boca to spend their money and die, so it's fitting.
word.