Quantcast

flakey wheel builder

bluedog18

Chimp
Jun 29, 2008
I really don't want to take this route by making this public matter but the other alternative is legal action. I had custom wheel set built and supposable shipped on may 15 and today is june 28 and still no wheels. I’ve repeatedly ask for the tracking number, I’m either ignored or told he’ll give me the number later or next day which then I don’t hear anything for another week or two or he looking into the matter with the shipping, but again nothing from him. He has my $1000 and my Chris King hub set, personally I’m starting to think that he just pocket my money and sold my hubs. Since with no tracking number I can’t check myself to prove if he shipped it or not. I’ve called and email but rarely ever hear anything back. I’ve contacted local bike shops near his shop and they have never heard of him or the shop.

Asking if anyone would be able to help me in this matter before I take legal action, The guy’s name is Marcus Collibolletti, I believe that is the correct spelling of his last name but I can’t not find anyone in the world with the same last name which to me sounds odd. The company’s name is Cherry Valley Wheel Works located in Beaumont, CA. I do have the shop’s phone number and address and I have Marcus email but I’m looking for additional information that would help in contracting him so I can settle this matter. Another bit of information I got from talking to city officials in Beaumont and was told that Cherry Valley Wheel Works is own by Mark Hoskin, which I cannot find any additional information on him either other than a compliant about him stiffing some money from a guy on mountain bike review a couple of years back. The biggest problem is I’m located on the east coast and he’s in Beaumont, CA. Also I've been told by other that Mark and Marcus are the same person.

Any information please PM me

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
File mail fraud. If you have an address where you sent the parts, you have a starting point. Your local PD is the best bet now.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you shipped them to him by USPS < go to you loval post office and talk to the Postmaster, if the USPS is involved it is called Mail fraud , and the post office takes it very very seriously.
I heard it's just a writeoff for them.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
holy crap , this is in my area .bluedog if you need help with some vigalanity justice i'm down , but i've never heard of this guy or shop. best of luck trying to get your money and hubs back.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Mike... what are your vigilante rates? Do you charge by the hour or for each capping? Any discounts for race buddies? :brows:

Just thought I'd ask for Bluedog's sake

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Mike... what are your vigilante rates? Do you charge by the hour or for each capping? Any discounts for race buddies? :brows:

Just thought I'd ask for Bluedog's sake
lmao ! sorry i know were racing bros but no discounts for sd click members !
bluedog pm sent what to do legally.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
You contracted a wheel build with a shop across the country, sent them your own hubs and $1000? Must be an extra zero in there somewhere...

How did you wind up setting up this deal instead of dealing with a local shop? How did you pay?

http://cherryvalleywheelworks.blogspot.com

This needs to be moved to the scam forum...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You contracted a wheel build with a shop across the country, sent them your own hubs and $1000? Must be an extra zero in there somewhere...

That's what went through my head.

Prolly should have become a member and posted here before you needed help.

:crazy::clue:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Beaumont is literraly about ten mintues away from me. I have never heard of this place myself, I am curious as others are, how you decided to have your wheels built across the Nation, also, what kind of a special build was it that is costing you $1000?????

That should have been a pretty big clue there that something was fishy. As said before a STandard build shouldnt be more than 50 bucks. plus parts, makes me curious what kind of a build you were going for.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The address in that link is defently NOT a Bussiness address. Mapquested it to make sure, but thats a housing area, I Ride through there on a regular basis on the roadie, My Younger Brother lives right in that area about two blocks away.

Bluedog, Is that the Address you sent your stuff to???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Why would you do this with a company you obviously know absolutely nothing about? Sucks to get scammed, but there are plenty of reputable places to go through for a wheel build.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why would you do this with a company you obviously know absolutely nothing about? Sucks to get scammed, but there are plenty of reputable places to go through for a wheel build.
www.universalcycles.com not only specializes in custom wheel builds, but is also a Chris King dealer (seeing how they are both in town, it only makes sense). I always look there first for wheels.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Seems like the guy has been scamming for a while. How do they get away with this kind of stuff for so long?

bluedog18

Chimp
Jun 29, 2008
Sorry I haven’t post any replies back, and yes I’ve have post on a couple of other sites trying to get more information. As for the address is 871 west 4th st in Beaumont. He finally called me last night, I think he is aware that I’ve been asking online about his doings. He claims that wheels were damage in shipping but he has not provide me with a tracking number or picture to prove other wise. As for the high cost is of the wheel build, I was using Edge Composites rims.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Seems like the guy has been scamming for a while. How do they get away with this kind of stuff for so long?
Because sooner or later another sucker comes along who is willing to send along a huge chunk of cash in the hopes of saving a few dollars.

It's like the blatant scam emails that you get on a regular basis. Sure, the spam may be obvious to you, but when they send out 10 million messages and just one person responds, then it is worth it in the end for the scammer.

We can have plenty of warnings in the 'bad-sellers and scammers' area, and there are many other references out there on this and other boards which will show you what shops and places are reputable and worth supporting with your money. But there are always going to be gullible people, and there will always be those who do not do their homework. These days, a few searches on Google with the business or person's name can give you a good warning of they pop up with a horror story (or many of them).

If this is a legitimate problem with a scammer, then perhaps it will save someone down the road from making a bad choice. It may not help the next completely gullible person or those who are too lazy to look things up ahead of sending along their money.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh, so, you knew going into this entire deal that you were getting a "super deal"?

The Edge Rims should have been $1400 alone, add in the price of whatever fancy spokes you specced, and what we have here is a case of a consumer who expected something for nothing....

Sure, you certainly got scammed, but you yourself were trying to scam (and undercut) the legitimate bike shops/wheel builders that sell things at sustainable, realistic margins....

If something is $500+ cheaper than through a legit vendor, that should really send up some red flags for you!