Quantcast

flash-based mp3 players (paging syadasti)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, my wife is sick of me using her Cali to take to the gym, so it's time to find my own. this is what i want:

- must be flash-based memory
- must be able to accept Secure Digital (SD) cards
- 5 band EQ a plus
- must be able to play VBR-encoded mp3s

that's about it. i don't really care that much about the internal memory capacity, because i've got a couple 512MB cards i can swap around and have fresh tunes at the ready. i don't care about FM tuners, stopwatches, etc. i figure since it's flash-based, it'll be small and compact. i'd like the EQ because the Shure E2 earpods don't have the best bass unless the thing is damn near tickling yr brain, so i'd boost the low end a bit.

suggestions?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think it violates the "can accept SD cards" edict, but notice i didn't add in "must have screen"...

if it could take cards, i'd definitely toss it in the running. but i think it falls flat.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
What is a flash player? Is that like a RAM hardrive instead of magnetic? Or is it one of those mini disk players with the MP3 disks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
i think it violates the "can accept SD cards" edict, but notice i didn't add in "must have screen"...

if it could take cards, i'd definitely toss it in the running. but i think it falls flat.
I think it falls flat on more than the lack of screen. That's another issue, though.

Any reason you're not considering another Rio Forge if you've been happy with your wife's Cali for this long?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, the forge and the cali are on the short list, as they are the only ones i've seen which can take cards (nothing from iRiver or cowon, as far as i can tell). what i'd like to see is a direct comparison between the chiba/cali/forge, to see which has what for features. as far as i can tell, they are the evolution of the flash-based player (first chiba, then cali, now forge), but all are still available retail. and, i can get a 128MB forge for cheaper than a 128MB cali, go figure.

the reason i've not pulled the trigger on teh forge is that there are enough complaints about the forge just not working (www.riovolution.com in the forums) to make me think twice, firmware upgrade be damned. i don't want lemon. or an apple. :p

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
narlus said:
$450 for a player w/ no internal memory and doesn't come with a card??? are you nuts? or are you a PR shill for B&O?

LOL I know it's alot but B&O is the very best music electronics.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
JMAC said:
LOL I know it's alot but B&O is the very best music electronics.....
B.S.

There's no way the music that comes out of that thing is so vastly superior to the other players on the market, to warrent that kind of price hike. Not to mention the fact that the MP3 itself is a compressed music format and isn't going to sound so good as to warrent a player that IS vastly superior.

That's a flash based player. Thus, it will be playing compressed music - you can't fit that many uncompressed songs on a 512mb SD chip.

Have you actually tried this player or are you simply parroting the marketing literature?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
binary visions said:
B.S.

There's no way the music that comes out of that thing is so vastly superior to the other players on the market, to warrent that kind of price hike. Not to mention the fact that the MP3 itself is a compressed music format and isn't going to sound so good as to warrent a player that IS vastly superior.

That's a flash based player. Thus, it will be playing compressed music - you can't fit that many uncompressed songs on a 512mb SD chip.

Have you actually tried this player or are you simply parroting the marketing literature?
Well maybe it certainly looks beautifull and you're right about the sound quality. However, B&O makes the best headphones and earphones, and yes I've tried both and yes they are far superior to anythign else even for the price. My point if if you have the money for the B&O player, might as well get something unique but if you can;t rationalize that kinda money for the beoplayer than get something else. I for one can;t rationalize the money for the player but would get the earphones, one day...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
BAH! B&O is the placebo affect. There really not that good, you just think that there allot better because of the high price. Im not saying that their stuff is bad, but there are better speakers out there for 1/2 the price.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
JMAC said:
Well maybe it certainly looks beautifull and you're right about the sound quality. However, B&O makes the best headphones and earphones, and yes I've tried both and yes they are far superior to anythign else even for the price. My point if if you have the money for the B&O player, might as well get something unique but if you can;t rationalize that kinda money for the beoplayer than get something else. I for one can;t rationalize the money for the player but would get the earphones, one day...
"Unique" is a lousy reason to buy a piece of electronics.

To pay 2+ times as much for, "unique" is downright stupid.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
JMAC said:
uh, what "headphones and earphones" have you tried other than the bang and olufsons?

J

JRB

I have a memorex biomorph mmp8556 and I like it. I tried a rio cali and like this far better. The equalizer functions may not be what you want, but I found that Circuit city lets you come back til you find what you want for 30 days.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loco said:
I have a memorex biomorph mmp8556 and I like it. I tried a rio cali and like this far better. The equalizer functions may not be what you want, but I found that Circuit city lets you come back til you find what you want for 30 days.
thanks for the tip, but it's about twice what i can get a 128MB Forge for.