Quantcast

Flat bars.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
What's the general consensus on 'em, seems like most people (the alien wc riders included) have stuck to low rise 20mmish bars. I saw a few pictures of Steve Smith running Gravity 777's but haven't seen them on his race bike. What do you guys think, love 'em, hate 'em, think they look silly and serve no purpose? Lets hear it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What's the general consensus on 'em, seems like most people (the alien wc riders included) have stuck to low rise 20mmish bars. I saw a few pictures of Steve Smith running Gravity 777's but haven't seen them on his race bike. What do you guys think, love 'em, hate 'em, think they look silly and serve no purpose? Lets hear it.
Run my stanchions dropped pretty far with drop crowns to slacken out my bike now. I switched to flat Sunlines to maintain the same bar height.

Would be running risers if I didn't drop my stanchions.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Run my stanchions dropped pretty far with drop crowns to slacken out my bike now. I switched to flat Sunlines to maintain the same bar height.

Would be running risers if I didn't drop my stanchions.
Something like that makes sense to me but I am curious about people using them to get the front end lower as well. Just picked a set of Sunline 762's up, haven't tried them yet but I was just wondering if they felt rubbish or not.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It all depends on you/your bike. In some cases they may be an option to get the right bar height/reach.

Switched from 19mm Sunline V Ones to flat V Ones to get the bars lower. Turned out to be too low, I had to run a longer stem and add spacers to get the bar height/reach I was looking for. Now I'm using a 12.5mm Race Face, feels just right for my setup.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I could stand to go a hair lower (FR Atlas FR, Ali stem, crown slammed, no spacers) so I can see the point, but probably won't bother. It does depend a lot on the frame, I'm on a bike with a normal 1.125 head tube, a medium length head tube, and a silly low BB, so the height from the pedals to the bar isn't that low, despite the fact that I'm running pretty low parts for the most part.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
im a pretty short rider, so getting the bars lower makes me feel like im in a better position. running the the flat V1's.

on top of that, im running the 28mm straitline stem, and since its so short, it has a little rise to it. so the flat bar brings the bar height back down lower.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I don't have a frame to try them on yet so I don't really know why I am posting this but, I am going to give them a shot for sure on my next bike. I'm about 5-8 and usually run a small or a medium frame, I'll hopefully have a small revolt within a month but who knows I prefer to run around a 50mm stem so the toptube length would be 22.3+50mm which is about what I am looking for. I am worried that the small frame combined with a flat bar might give me issues but we'll see some would argue that the flat bar on an already low bike is overkill but I want to see for myself. Good stuff lets keep it coming.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I tried em years ago, when I think 670 was s wide as you could get, I dug em then, but then wider bars came out. I moved the flatties to my Tandem, and with my girlfriend who's riden horses her whole life, and has uncanny balance matched with the long stable wheel base allowing me to take it down so hairy ****, I found that the flat bars made my hands go to sleep from vibration, more than the risers I swapped them with.
No I'm sure an super stiff rizer will have less flex than a flimsy built flatty, but as a general concept, weight for weight, I ask do the bends in Rizers offer much cushioning?
I'm running them on my new DH bike, but it's not broken in yet, and I've not ridden DH in ages, so I'm not strong, and I'm running a spaz air shock, and new forks, but my arms/hands did get tired quickly I found. In my head placibo, or....
Oh, I reckon flat bars look hella cool.
and yes, I believe you can have your bars too low.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I think rider height and fit is most important; flat bars are definitely 'trendy' right now, but most certainly right for some riders. The mistake is to follow the trend rather than a properly fitting cockpit.

My bars are 20mm rise, but I'm 6'8" and to get the front end UP, I am waiting on the new Deity Topsoil bars (50mm rise).

FIT FIT FIT. Find what fits, what makes you fastest/most in control! Expirementing can be expensive but effective!

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I've had the Sunline flats for a few months now and love em.I'd been riding the regular V1's for a few years and always wanted them to be a tad wider and I like my front end as low as possible,so I thought why not.The backsweep feels perfect to me and I didn't notice any real difference in feeling between the 19mm rise Sunline's and the flats.I get tons of **** for riding them but they feel damn good to me.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been running Gravity Carbon 710mm bar for few months. I've got Totem and about 4cm spacers under the stem. I thought I would go for a flat bar with 50mm DM stem once I get Boxxer WC for the next season. I am just waiting for some company to release carbon fiber real flat bar 740-750mm wide.
There is Sytance, but it has weird rise and it's expensive.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For the steep wc trails I understand wanting your bars a bit lower. You will have your weight over the front wheel anyway but if you run a bike with a slack headangle and dont ride only on steep tracks lower your bars as much as possible. I love my flats with 0 upsweep even though people hate the way they look. Now I only wish my stem was lower as I feel I would get more front traction with a lower stem.

Go and get them. I recomend element technic nickel wide. 299g for 760mm bars. 7075 alloy - stiff and very durable. I crash more than I ride and they are still flat ;) while my other friends bars who crash a lot less are already bent (atlases, sunlines , nukes,).

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
For the steep wc trails I understand wanting your bars a bit lower. You will have your weight over the front wheel anyway but if you run a bike with a slack headangle and dont ride only on steep tracks lower your bars as much as possible. I love my flats with 0 upsweep even though people hate the way they look. Now I only wish my stem was lower as I feel I would get more front traction with a lower stem.

Go and get them. I recomend element technic nickel wide. 299g for 760mm bars. 7075 alloy - stiff and very durable. I crash more than I ride and they are still flat ;) while my other friends bars who crash a lot less are already bent (atlases, sunlines , nukes,).
Thanks for the advice but the first part of your post confuses me. Already picked up the Sunline flats as I am sort of obligated to run them...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thanks for the advice but the first part of your post confuses me. Already picked up the Sunline flats as I am sort of obligated to run them...
Sorry it was meant to be for wc trails you may want your bars a bit higher and that may be why the pros run bars with minimal rise. I had no problem with high rise bar on steeper tracks, weight was on the front anyway.

Thats what I get for trying to write an assignment and post here at the same time ;)