Quantcast

Flat pedal maintenance

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hey, hopefully this should be a quick question. I've been using a pair of Wellgo B38 pedals for a good while now and they are getting a bit rattly on the spindle. I've taken the end cap off them to try and access the bearings and pack them up with grease, but due to the layout of the pedal, I'm unable to get a socket wrench in there and take the nut off the end of the spindle; it's simply too big. Do I need to find an extra long and thin socket or is there any tricks people use to get them off? I've included this link to the pedals to illustrate the problem:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5197

There is a hole in the outer frame of the pedal, hence I can get the end cap off, but too small for a normal socket to fit through.

Cheers for any help

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Will the socket fit through the pedal body from above and slide into the threaded part or is the socket too long? If it will, you can push it in and slide the extension bar in the outer axial hole into the square drive on the socket and undo that way. If the socket doesn't have enough room to undo off the end of the shaft try dropping the shaft out of the other side with the socket stationary.

Hope that makes sense and helps some.

G

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hey, thanks for the reply. What you're saying does make sense, but unfortunately the sockets I have (regular mechanic socket sets) are still too long to slide in the way you suggest. I think I either need a really short socket or a long thin one to slide through the hole in the outer cage, the later probably would be more useful. I didn't think this would be such a hassle. :/