Quantcast

Flat Pedal Shoes

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I've been using a pair of Vans which have served me well or so I thought. However, my boyfriend recently got a pair of the 5-10 mtn bike specific shoes and the rubber on them is nice and sticky. He loves how they feel on the flat pedals because he's had problems with his feet bobbing around as do I on occasion, especially doing stairs. I'm not holding out hope that 5-10 has women's shoes like this and I'm sure I won't find a men's small enough (I wear a women's 7, narrow) but I really want a shoe like this. Do you all have a really good shoe you like to wear on flats?

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
redFoxx said:
I've been using a pair of Vans which have served me well or so I thought. However, my boyfriend recently got a pair of the 5-10 mtn bike specific shoes and the rubber on them is nice and sticky. He loves how they feel on the flat pedals because he's had problems with his feet bobbing around as do I on occasion, especially doing stairs. I'm not holding out hope that 5-10 has women's shoes like this and I'm sure I won't find a men's small enough (I wear a women's 7, narrow) but I really want a shoe like this. Do you all have a really good shoe you like to wear on flats?
Before I got my 5-10 shoes, I only wore 661 Dually shoes. I have a narrow heel, but like a very wide box. These have a good grippy sole, and I like the ankle protection. They work very well for me.
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_661.html

SixSixOne just came out with new '06 shoes, so the 2005 will probably be on sale, especially your size. Find out what you wear in metric, and see if they have them in stock. ($50 for a pair of Duallys is a good price) Good luck! :)

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Since I was out shopping for new wheels on Saturday, I decided to look around for a new flats shoe. Couldn't find my size in 5-10s or 661's. Saw a pair of Answer flats (don't know which one as I can't find it on the web for a pic) which was the last pair and in my size. They are nice - have a flat rigid sole, not high-top though, and velcro closure plus rather sticky rubber, but not as sticky as the 5-10's. So on an impulse I bought them, rather than to try to find a cheaper pair online. $70. Kinda pricey.

I tried them out today and they were pretty decent - I didn't slip around on the real technical stuff. The next test is at the jump park. I bruised my foot a week ago and was thinking it might be from the thin-soled vans from either doing steep stairs on a hardtail or the drops/jumps, so I will see how a nice thick sole will feel after an evening of doing jumps.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Let me know how the answer flats work out. I was going down stairs today and my feet bounced off the pedals. Annoying.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Well I'm back to report on the Answer shoes. After giving them a good go at the local jump park a couple times and an XC ride, I've decided I don't like them! :mad: I was also getting used to new wheels and a wider, different front tire so had different variables to deal with and wanted to give them a decent try before I pulled the plug. But finally I have come to the conclusion, they aren't that grippy and I think the main thing I don't like them is that they're clipless type shoes, not freeride shoes. They have the exaggerated rocker and aren't real wide and flat, plus the rubber wasn't that grippy. I gripped better in my Van's. The final decision was made yesterday at home when I put one Van shoe on and one Answer shoe and then rode around trying to do hops, then I also put my bf's 5-10 shoe on to compare. His were most grippy and very flat, then the Van's.

That will teach me to make such a rash decision which I tend to do and then regret later.

Hey, has anyone heard of the DUALLY TAKI? They seem to be new.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
5-10's are awesome. Mine are in route from Beyond Bikes. I'm a women's 8 but the guy's 7 fit well.
Before that I rode (and still sometimes do) 661.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of the 5-10 Impact shoe. The only way I could order them in a small enough size was through 5-10 who had 6.5's (the BS's generally only carried size 8 in the smallest) which is about 39 Euro. I wear women's 7. They are a tad bit wide, being a men's shoe but with the lacing I can get them tight enough and they are great. In fact, they're so sticky I'm having a hard time getting my foot properly placed on the pedal. But no slipping off of my feet on the stairs and since it's like going clipless I have the extra pull available on the pedal stroke!

If anyone wants a good clipless shoe, I have the Answers, only been used about three times as a flat shoe which didn't work out. Will post in the For Sale when I get pics.