Friend bought some unparallel westridge
I eyeballed them
May have to try them
They are on sale right now btw

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
2FO midfoot is narrower. I have flat feet and my midfoot is actually wider than the forefoot. This became very uncomfortable for me, and ultimately is the dealbreaker
I seem to have the same problem as you have and solved it by changing the inner sole for one with less support under the arch. I basically went for the flatest inner sole I could find.

About the lacing, I also found that they put too much pressure on the top of my midfoot and skipped the second last lacing hole. It helped relieving the pressure.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I seem to have the same problem as you have and solved it by changing the inner sole for one with less support under the arch. I basically went for the flatest inner sole I could find.

About the lacing, I also found that they put too much pressure on the top of my midfoot and skipped the second last lacing hole. It helped relieving the pressure.
I'll give that a try - I had that thought as well. Blown out 5.10 footbeds sound like they'd fit the bill.

I tried RCs a year or two ago and didn't like the rubber. Those new Tallacs look great - I'm tempted to try those and hope they made the rubber better. Probably more of a replacement for Freeriders than Impacts though.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Not sure if RC changed their soles but they tick the grip box for me. I cannot tell the difference between my HCs and all previous interactions of my 5tens.

I agree on keeping laces loose. I really notice it if the laces on my Aftons are a smidge too tight = deadfoot. For inner soles and new shoes, try switching new inners for a pair from a used worn shoes. Once the new shoes bed in then consider inserting the new inners. The old inners allow for some extra room.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I grabbed a pair of the BOA Tallacs and did a couple quick laps after work. First impression is that they're really nice and will work for me.

Feel less clunky than Impact Pros. Grip stickiness is a bit less but I had no issues with feet coming off my pedals. They feel like they'll breath a bunch better. The insole is super comfortable - when I tried their TNT it felt too squishy but this feels great. Toe box is a tad narrower but still pretty roomy. Midfoot is maybe also a tad narrower but since the upper is more flexible it wasn't uncomfortable for my flat feet. The sole is stiffer than Freerider Pros but less stiff than Impact Pros - definitely nicer to walk around in, feel like they sink into my concave pedals nicely, but still feel way more supportive than Freerider Pros.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Does anyone have experience on the newer 5.10 Freerider Pros? I tried the new Prime Blues and the grip was terrible compared to the old Freerider Pros I have. Was wondering if they are using a different sole for the two. I tried on some of the new Specialized 2FO’s and they don’t fit my feet well at all.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Does anyone have experience on the newer 5.10 Freerider Pros? I tried the new Prime Blues and the grip was terrible compared to the old Freerider Pros I have. Was wondering if they are using a different sole for the two. I tried on some of the new Specialized 2FO’s and they don’t fit my feet well at all.
If you have some rubber tubing, you can make a tourniquet and use an angle grinder to modify your foot shape so the 2FO's will fit.

But no experience with the FR Pros, as the ones I have are probably 2 years old or so. A friend has the new Prime Blues and also said the grip was lacking compared to what he was used to. I was under the impression the sole was the same on all FR models, and the only difference was the Primes have the recycled plastic uppers. FWIW, supposedly the new Giro Latch's are pretty damn good.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've only ridden the Prime Blue ones. I didn't think the grip was particularly bad, but they are pretty uncomfortable to me. They feel narrower than Impact Pros and that coupled with a softer midsole makes them uncomfortable on long descents. I think part of why their grip is a bit less is due to the dots being shallower than on the Impact.

If you want something lighter than the Impact but with a more flexible upper, check out the RC Tallac. They're kind of a cross between Freeriders and Impacts, or Impacts and Trailcross. I'm super happy with mine. They make a plain lace up version if the BOA/velcro model is too pricey for you.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
A friend has the new Prime Blues and also said the grip was lacking compared to what he was used to. I was under the impression the sole was the same on all FR models, and the only difference was the Primes have the recycled plastic uppers.
FWIW: I have a pair of Freeriders from 2015-ish and just recently bought a pair of Prime Blue because they were extremely cheap. Plan was to not ride them and keep them as backup, but after hearing all the horror stories about reduced grip I decided to test them. To me the grip feels similar to the old Freeriders (only tested in dry conditions). The shoes are not bedded in yet, so have some pressure points on the foot as all new shoes have for me.
The Freerider has less grip than the Impact and Karvers that I also use, so they are more of a trail/FR/pumptrack/DJ shoe for me and not a DH shoe.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Can anyone comment on how Ride Concepts sizing compares to Five Ten?

My Five Tens tongue fell off due to a chemical leak and I found a great deal on pair of Hellions.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My 9.5 Tallacs feel same in length and width as my 9.5 Impact Pros. Maybe a tiny bit narrower in the toes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
$47 for Helions:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
$47 for Helions:

Yeap, that is part of the reason I was asking. Bought the same size as my Five Tens and also half size larger just in case.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I got a pair of 2FO Roost lately and I mush prefer them to the 2FO DH. The DH have a shank which make them bulkier and stiffer. The Roost are much more comfy and allow more feedback.
Obviously the DH will offer more protection if it is what you are looking for.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I got a pair of 2FO Roost lately and I mush prefer them to the 2FO DH. The DH have a shank which make them bulkier and stiffer. The Roost are much more comfy and allow more feedback.
Obviously the DH will offer more protection if it is what you are looking for.
I've got the Roosts now and was gonna get the DH ones next to see if the sole is a bit stiffer. How's the stiffness compare?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I've got the Roosts now and was gonna get the DH ones next to see if the sole is a bit stiffer. How's the stiffness compare?
the Dh are much stiffer because of the metallic shank but also because the outer material is more rigid. They are heavier too! The Roost are more as stiff as skate shoes (Etnies Marana for example) while the Dh are almost as stiff as my clipless shimano shoes ME5 or more like alpine hiking leather boots, if you're familiar with hiking shoes.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Just received some Ride Concepts Tallac (flats) size 10 and 10.5 US. The left 10 is longer than the 10.5 left (and my left foot is longer), but both right are pretty close. That's pretty weird. So the 10 would be too big but the 10.5 just right... For reference, my Impact Pros are 10.5 and a little roomy, but when riding they are perfect.

I found the Tallac's sole "taller", cushier and flexier than my (brand new) Impact Pros, so I'll just keep the Impacts. Plus the inside material in the Tallac feels slipperier, so my foot moves a bit more fore/aft than in the Impacts and the heel lifts a bit, contrary to the Five Ten which feels more secure.

Fit wise, the Tallacs are narrower than the Five Ten and feel more enveloping, but for riding duties, the Impact Pros seem much suited for me. I don't like to feel too disconnected from the pedals. Like other reviewers have said, the Tallac's rubber isn't as sticky as the Five Ten Stealth rubber, but is close. I could feel the slight difference only when standing on my bike inside though. The Ride Concepts rubber stinks really bad though. They are in the box on top of a shelf here and I can smell it in the whole living room since I got them.

Hope this helps someone!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
That's really weird (the length). I'd agree with the statement that the interior material is smoother / less padded, but it's not an issue for me (I've got the BOA version). Maybe the first couple rides I had to snug down the ratchet a couple clicks after walking / pedaling a bit, but they seem pretty secure now. They dry out really quickly too.

My one knock on them that I've noticed that would keep me from giving them a 10/10 is that the outer toe cap is just a smidge narrow. I don't notice it normally riding, but have had it rub and irritate my pinky toe on days where I've done a lot of walking (taking kid to pump track), or 1 day at Northstar (can't tell if it was from all the walking, or foot moving from doing 6x my normal amount of riding).

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
That's really weird (the length). I'd agree with the statement that the interior material is smoother / less padded, but it's not an issue for me (I've got the BOA version). Maybe the first couple rides I had to snug down the ratchet a couple clicks after walking / pedaling a bit, but they seem pretty secure now. They dry out really quickly too.

My one knock on them that I've noticed that would keep me from giving them a 10/10 is that the outer toe cap is just a smidge narrow. I don't notice it normally riding, but have had it rub and irritate my pinky toe on days where I've done a lot of walking (taking kid to pump track), or 1 day at Northstar (can't tell if it was from all the walking, or foot moving from doing 6x my normal amount of riding).
Regarding the inside material, it could also be the socks that I'm wearing (coton!), but when riding I don't think it would be an issue. I had just read in a review that the Impact Pros were prone to have heel lift but I found out it wasn't better on the Tallacs. But when riding this won't matter I think.

I felt the pinky toe thing too when walking, but I have wide feet. The Impact Pros have a wider toe box, that I found a bit too big at first, but perfect when riding. Depends of people's foot width I guess!

I prefered the Cordura material of the Tallacs over Five Ten's synthetic leather, and the sole is more comfortable, but I guess my feet are more suited to the Impact Pros. Plus I bought 2 pairs of Impact Pros for 99$cdn each and the Tallacs were on sale at 160$ so the choice was easier haha.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Super thin sole on those!
I have a pair at the shop, that I can't get rid of.
Yeah it said commuter shoe, wondered why you'd call a commuter shoe a "Roost"?
I'll be impressed if they are worse than my NW Clans.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
FWIW, I did another day at Northstar in my Tallacs. No toe rub this time - I made sure to get them snug in the morning. What I love about the BOA is that it doesn't loosen up over the day. I thought about bringing my Impacts, but was glad I stuck with the Tallacs because they breathe better, and have a more comfortable insole.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Super thin sole on those!
I have a pair at the shop, that I can't get rid of.
I quite like the Roost, I had forgotten what it felt like to have a shoe that lets you know exactly where your foot is on the pedal.
I might give their DH shoe a go when they come back in to stock.