Quantcast

Flat pedal shoes

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone got any new input on something a little stiffer than Freerider Pro's?

Impact Pro's in size US 13 seem to be sold out everywhere. The only thing which might be comparable is the new version of the Ride Concepts TNT, anyone tried them?
Haven't tried the TNT, but the Powerline is quite stiff. Grip is pretty decent, but not quite up to Impact or Freerider Pro level.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have the spesch DH something and find them quite stiff compared to my 5 10 Impact VXI.
I don't know how the impact are vs the Freerider Pro...?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Haven't tried the TNT, but the Powerline is quite stiff. Grip is pretty decent, but not quite up to Impact or Freerider Pro level.
I have the spesch DH something and find them quite stiff compared to my 5 10 Impact VXI.
I don't know how the impact are vs the Freerider Pro...?
I wear Freerider Pro's for trail riding, but on extended downhills an old break in my right foot really starts to ache. I want something stiffer for gravity days. I haven't had "old" impacts for a few years and haven't tried the new version. But also finding stock is tough...

TNT are supposed to be slightly stiffer than the Powerline aren't they?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I tried the new Spec Roost 2FOs - rubber was on par with Five Ten, but the pair I got was too small. I'd try the DH version as an alternative to Impact Pros (my current go-to shoe).

I tried TNTs last year and the rubber/grip was crap. They were very stiff and clunky feeling too. I wasn't a fan of the footbeds - they felt squishy, which made it feel like my foot was kinda floating loosely inside the stiff shoe.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I just started wearing the Crank Brothers Stamp shoes. Definitely not as stiff, and definitely not as grippy. Hoping the grip will get better as I’m only one ride in on them. Construction and comfort seem to be better than my freerider pros so far.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I haven't had "old" impacts for a few years and haven't tried the new version
I bought my impact in 2016, I don't know if that makes them old or new?

5 years is a long time to wear out mtb shoes, I have been mainly riding spd lately and using flats only during the winter. I will give flats a serious try this year just because Sam Hill, you know

The grip on the 2fo dh flat is OK compared to the vxi, at least for my riding.
The fit of the shoes felt good at first but I felt muscle pain on the outside of the arch after just a few minutes of riding... I change the insole for one with way less support and it feels good now.

Insoles might help you to fine tune the fit, specially considering your previous injury.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've gotten new Impacts from zee Germans (bike-discount.de) in the past twelve months. I bought some Freerider Pros but the sole delaminated and I warrantied them for Freeriders (stitched on all the way around).

Impacts > FR Pros > Freeriders in terms of stiffness.

The new Specialized shoes felt great in store, but I haven't tried them on a bike. I'd suggest they're between the FR Pros and Impacts stiffness wise.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
As 6thElement stated the freeride are good for shorter days especially if your heavier...they aren't stiff enough to platform a days worth of abuse. The impacts without question have been a solid platform for long weekends and park days.....
I'm trying to find a pair of impacts in 13 or 14...I can break in a 13 but 14 would be best.. want the old Sam hill style white...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
As 6thElement stated the freeride are good for shorter days especially if your heavier...they aren't stiff enough to platform a days worth of abuse. The impacts without question have been a solid platform for long weekends and park days.....
I'm trying to find a pair of impacts in 13 or 14...I can break in a 13 but 14 would be best.. want the old Sam hill style white...
those are good but honestly the newer version is equally as stiff but much lighter.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
those are good but honestly the newer version is equally as stiff but much lighter.
Which ones... I have the freeride I got 2 months ago and the balls and arch start to get worked after a couple hours...they are stiffer than the old freeride but I never experienced foot fatigue on race day with my impacts .

That said I do want to try the freeride pro...it has my interest

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Which ones... I have the freeride I got 2 months ago and the balls and arch start to get worked after a couple hours...they are stiffer than the old freeride but I never experienced foot fatigue on race day with my impacts .

That said I do want to try the freeride pro...it has my interest
impact pros

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I tried the new Spec Roost 2FOs - rubber was on par with Five Ten, but the pair I got was too small. I'd try the DH version as an alternative to Impact Pros (my current go-to shoe).

I tried TNTs last year and the rubber/grip was crap. They were very stiff and clunky feeling too. I wasn't a fan of the footbeds - they felt squishy, which made it feel like my foot was kinda floating loosely inside the stiff shoe.
Anyone Leatt?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Then that's what I'll buy...thanks.....

I always had em in this line up fr, fr pro and impact...didn't know it was an impact pro probably cause I'm lazy lol....but this is the plan for sure
There's the original Impact that look like old man orthopedics, then there's the newer Impact Pro's.

If you find somewhere with a deal on 13 US let me know!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I just started wearing the Crank Brothers Stamp shoes. Definitely not as stiff, and definitely not as grippy. Hoping the grip will get better as I’m only one ride in on them. Construction and comfort seem to be better than my freerider pros so far.
Update on this. The Stamps started separating at the toe/sole area on the first ride after I clipped a rock pretty good. Crank Brothers were great on the warranty end. Sent me out a pair of Stamp speed lace. Really nice set up with the speed lace and the Velcro strap. Fit was great, really comfy. But after one trail ride and one day on the DH bike, I’m back on my old freerider pros. The grip just doesn’t even come close. I really wanted to like these, but I’ll be shopping for new 5-10’s again.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just got a pair of the primeblue 5.10 Freerider Pros. They are cordura-type cloth instead of fully rubber/vinyl. And they have an adidas logo on the tongue too.

I'm hoping they are slightly less hot than regular Freeriders Pros and Impact Pros.

The fit has changed again since my last pair of Freerider Pros. They are slightly roomier and longer than my previous 11.5s.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How is the grip? I saw one online review that said the PrimeBlue Freerider Pros weren't as good as the old Freerider Pros but haven't heard anything else.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I only have a couple sorta mellow rides on them, but it seems similar.
I threw away my old F Pros, but do have Impact Pros to directly compare.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I just got a pair of the primeblue 5.10 Freerider Pros. They are mesh instead of fully rubber/vinyl. And they have an adidas logo on the tongue too.

I'm hoping they are slightly less hot than regular Freeriders Pros and Impact Pros.

The fit has changed again since my last pair of Freerider Pros. They are slightly roomier and longer than my previous 11.5s.
i got a pair of those for my kiddo. approve of the recycled content. build quality seems really solid. he likes them a lot. obviously can't comment on grip, but his feet don't seem to slip much and he jumps a bit and rides pretty rough/janky crap.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just got a pair of the primeblue 5.10 Freerider Pros. They are mesh instead of fully rubber/vinyl. And they have an adidas logo on the tongue too.

Funny, I got a pair of 13's a few weeks ago and they're slightly smaller than my "normal" freerider pros.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
No. I’d say slightly longer and slightly wider, perhaps because the padding is thinner. FWIW my 2020 Impact Pros have a roomier toebox than these 2021 Freerider Pros.

How much roomier? Are we talking pre-Adidas toe box width?
There’s a high likelihood that these are made in a different factory each year. Apparel and shoe manufacturing in the 3rd world is a continuous cost cutting game of musical chairs.

Funny, I got a pair of 13's a few weeks ago and they're slightly smaller than my "normal" freerider pros.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
let me know when Maxxis starts making flat pedal shoes.
It’s been 15 years and no one’s been able to match Stealth rubber.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Going to hunt down impacts today...if I'd have had a thicker front section I think my toe would have faired a bit better...love the freeride, wife loves hers...couldn't figure how her foot was stuck to pedal...lol showed her the holes it punched in it..
The Impact Pro toes are awesome. Besides the hard cap, they also have a very thin layer of VPD. I've smashed them through a rotting log and not even noticed it except for the brown stain on the outside and the tug on the pedal.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The Impact Pro toes are awesome. Besides the hard cap, they also have a very thin layer of VPD. I've smashed them through a rotting log and not even noticed it except for the brown stain on the outside and the tug on the pedal.
agreed. tried to ride in my old freeriders a few times a while back and toes got much more smashed than with my usual impacts...