Quantcast

Flat pedal shoes

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Sorry if i have missed something but how are ride concepts compared to impact pro? Finally having to buy a new set as my sam hill soles are crumbling and me trying to track down the original 5.10 isn't happening.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Sorry if i have missed something but how are ride concepts compared to impact pro? Finally having to buy a new set as my sam hill soles are crumbling and me trying to track down the original 5.10 isn't happening.
The rubber is not as good. I also didn't like the squishy insoles - pedaling felt weird as hell.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Probs just buy a set of 5 10's then even if they aint the same trainers anymore
I mean, lots of people like them. But if you're coming off Stealth S1 on Sam Hills, you probably should just go for Impact Pros. Only caveat is that Sam Hills apparently fit quite different than Impact Pros (SH = narrower midfoot and high arch).

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I mean, lots of people like them. But if you're coming off Stealth S1 on Sam Hills, you probably should just go for Impact Pros. Only caveat is that Sam Hills apparently fit quite different than Impact Pros (SH = narrower midfoot and high arch).
Im gonna buy the impact pros.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I grabbed my Northwave Clans for the first time in probably six months and they were pretty good.

Before they were put away I painted the soles in brake clean over a few days, seems it did soften the rubber up, the fit still sucks though.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
My Ride concepts wildcats made it just over 2 years.
What they lack in grip they make up for in longevity....
I find them a nice middle ground between an impact and a freeride.
I did loose the strap from crank arm rub pretty early on. But they lasted a full 3 times longer than the two pairs of freerides before them.

Just got the TNT on count of the wildcats toe opening. About to try them out. Rubber seems quite a bit softer.
Hoping the soles don't end up more flexible as the wildcat stiffness was like perfect for me.

Attachments

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My Ride concepts wildcats made it just over 2 years.
What they lack in grip they make up for in longevity....
I find them a nice middle ground between an impact and a freeride.
I did loose the strap from crank arm rub pretty early on. But they lasted a full 3 times longer than the two pairs of freerides before them.

Just got the TNT on count of the wildcats toe opening. About to try them out. Rubber seems quite a bit softer.
Hoping the soles don't end up more flexible as the wildcat stiffness was like perfect for me.
Damn man, you get your money's worth out of shoes. Those soles are smoked.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Damn man, you get your money's worth out of shoes. Those soles are smoked.
I throw them out at about that point too, I find the tears in the bottom make them a bit dangerous as your foot doesn't always leave the pedal when you want it to.
Never had uppers look that bad though, mine normally look fine but the soles are gone.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I throw them out at about that point too, I find the tears in the bottom make them a bit dangerous as your foot doesn't always leave the pedal when you want it to.
Never had uppers look that bad though, mine normally look fine but the soles are gone.
TBH, I stop riding them before that point for the very reason you described. That and usually I start feeling the pressure points from the pins on longer rides.

All that said, my wife used to run some outrageous amount of miles in a year, and she went through $100+ shoes with a quickness, so I don't mind buying a new pair of bike moccasins once a year.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
They have been looking haggard for a long time. But they still felt great.

They got a couple small holes in em that let water in about 3 or 4 moths ago, those grooves weren't that bad. I called ride concepts to discuss the wildcat vs tnt and he told me to wait till the new tnt came out.

They came out and sold out.

Those grooves formed pretty rapidly at the end over the last few months

Well the grooves were so deep that my shoe had more pressure on the platform than the pins... didn't have any trouble with grip.... maybe if it was wet I would have had trouble. Idk... they felt fine looked like shit.
But when they opened the other day I knew it was time...

The new tnt feel good.
Moar grip
The insoles are a bit soft, hopefully they compact a bit.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Thats wild! I ditch mine pretty quickly once the sole gets torn enough to trap my foot on the pedal a couple times. I mean shoes are expensive but knee reconstructions and dental work are way more.

smearin

Chimp
Jul 12, 2021
Anyone ridden Etnies Camber Crank?
Local deal for some, but not sure. Currently on Shimano GR7s and they've lasted well.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
My last pair of Teva Links are on life support and I was in need of a new pair of riding shoes. I liked the old Impact, except for the fact that the soles peeled off after a couple of rides, so I figured I'd try the new Impact Pro Mid.

Unfortunately, they didn't fit my feet...at nominal size 10.5, they felt like 11.5 in length and 9.5 in width (FWIW, my feet measure 4.5~4.625" at the widest part and 10.75" in length with my weight on). I have a pair of Trailcross Mid I use for trail building/maintenance and hiking... they were also ill-fitting on my Neanderthal feet but not quite as bad to begin with and they stretched out.

I didn't think the Impact Pro would stretch out as easily, and if they did, they would give me 3/4" fore-aft float which is more freedom than I can handle. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime.

So I got me a pair of Unparallel shoes... Figured they'd fit my feet just like five pairs of trusty Tevas I went through, as the soles are made using Teva's old mold.

Comparing them side by side, it appears UP used size 11 Teva soles for their 10.5 shoes. Nevertheless, these fit my WT feet better than the Addidas 5.10s.
IMG_5839.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG

Haven't done a proper trail ride with these shoes yet but goofing around in my backyard, they feel about as stiff as the Teva, which are somewhere in between the Trailcross Mid and the old Impact. I'd venture to guess they are about the same as the Freerider Pro. They feel about as thick under my feet as the Teva and the old Impact, def thicker than the Trailcross and the old 5.10 Dirtbag.

As far as grippiness is concerned, if I were to rate the Trailcross at 10/10, the UP is almost up there at 9.5/10. The Teva was like unrideabru 7.5/10 at best. I honestly didn't mind Teva's lack of grip but a couple of scars on my shins could have been prevented.

So far so good. Will see how long they'll last.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
If anyone's on the fence between Impact Pro and Freerider Pro, I just got a set of the FP on sale to try after a couple years on Impact Pro, and can offer some observations. Rubber grip is the same (excellent). The midsole of the FP is definitely more flexible - I could feel the shoes sinking into the concavity of my pedals more. That said, it felt like I had less foot fatigue after a fast bumpy section than I usually do, which was surprising given that the sole was more flexible. That could be due to a fresh soft insole though, time will tell. Interestingly, it feels like the toebox of the FP is slightly larger. When cornering hard, my heels were rotating inward slightly. However, that could also be due to a brand new shoe where I haven't properly tightened up the front of the laces, or it could just be the canvas material of the FP being more flexible than the rubberized material of the IP. The canvas material of the FP Prime Blue definitely breathes better than the IP too.

Also, the FP does have a much wider, more traditionally "Five Ten" last shape than the Trailcross, which has a much narrower "Adidas" style last. I originally got set of Trailcross to wear when I'm riding bikes with my kid (since that involves a lot of getting off and running alongside him), but since that's coming to an end, I find the FP a lot more comfortable overall. The Trailcross has a much different feeling on the pedals, due to it being so much narrower, and having such a soft, flexible upper. I find it harder to get my feet in my preferred spot on the pedals (inside edge is in a different spot relative to the foot), and my foot feels a bit less secure since the upper flexes so much (despite the rubber sole staying in place). The Trailcross laces seem to constantly work themselves undone, leading to uncomfortable rubbing of the upper lace reinforcement area against my ankle.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Anyone here with experience with the new Specialized offerings?
I got a pair of the 2FO DH Flats this summer, and they've been great. Previously I was on 5.10 Impacts, and I think I like the Specialized better. They fit my foot better and have better toe protection. Grip is very comparable.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just got a set of the Speshy 2FO Roost Flat pedal shoes.

Two rides in and so far really impressed. They at least match the FiveTens for grip, if not exceed. Sole stiffness seems between a Freerider Pro and an Impact. Fit works for my feet, so far really can't fault anything except maybe a bit tight around the cuff getting them on and off.

Fingers crossed they're more durable than the 11month old FiveTen PrimeBlue Freeriders they're replacing. I still have Impact Pros for racing and whatnot but for social skids and trail riding these things are my new go-to if they last

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
which etnies?

for riding I have a couple of pairs of camber crank mtb shoes and tons on kingpins (skate shoes) and a pair of waterproof Etnies Agron hi tops.
The Culvert was the one that popped up first. I also looked at the Camber Crank, both had some good qualities. SB's get nutty with all the sneaker heads buying them up, but I got 20% off, so I snatched them.

I've had good luck with the Etnies skate shoes so I'm interested in trying the mountain bike shoe to see if there is much difference.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got hooked up with a pair of the Specialized 2FO DH shoes, to try as an alternative to Impact Pros. A few comparisons:
*2FO is slightly longer due to their weird sizing (I had to chose between 9.3 and 9.6, I wear a 9.5). Might be good, might be bad depending on your foot size. I personally didn't need the extra length.
*2FO toebox seems similarly roomy.
*2FO midfoot is narrower. I have flat feet and my midfoot is actually wider than the forefoot. This became very uncomfortable for me, and ultimately is the dealbreaker.
*2FO rubber actually feels a smidge stickier. On first ride, no breaking in, where the sole is still stiff, I thought for sure I'd be coming off the pedals, but they remained stuck on. At the same time, the rubber feels a bit harder, like it would be more durable. The guy who hooked me up rides the 2FO Roost for DJ & BMX, and said those are lasting way longer than Freeriders.
*2FO volume seems a bit smaller. I had to flip the laces so they pulled from the top, rather than from underneath, and they still felt like they put too much pressure on the top of my foot, even lightly laced. On Impact Pros I basically crank the laces as tight as I can.
*2FO interior has a lot of 3d mesh, and feels like it would dry really fast. Ditto for the footbeds.

Anyway, they seem to be a legit flat pedal shoe, but fit quite a bit different than Impact Pros. For better or worse, Impact Pros fit my feet like a glove. If anyone is interested in this pair (size 9.6) I'll send 'em to ya for $70. 1.5 rides on them.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Been on 5tens for years but decided a change was needed, helped by bad luck with my last pair splitting across the upper, just behind the toe box. CRC refunded me and didn’t ask for them to be returned. Kept riding them as my winter/wet shoes.
Tried some Aftons but really do not like the fit, especially the feeling my feet are not ‘in’ the shoes. I also dislike waffle pattern for grip. Using these for short loops on smooth trails and at the pump track.
LBS stocks RCs so I picked up some Hellcats and they are amazing. Comfy out the box, nice and deep so my feet really feel inside the shoe, they aren’t over padded which keeps them light and they dry quickly, and the grip is at least on par with 5tens. Highly recommend. I have wide feet and they accommodate this perfectly. I have just seen their 2022 range and it looks good.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My last pair of Teva Links are on life support and I was in need of a new pair of riding shoes. I liked the old Impact, except for the fact that the soles peeled off after a couple of rides, so I figured I'd try the new Impact Pro Mid.

Unfortunately, they didn't fit my feet...at nominal size 10.5, they felt like 11.5 in length and 9.5 in width (FWIW, my feet measure 4.5~4.625" at the widest part and 10.75" in length with my weight on). I have a pair of Trailcross Mid I use for trail building/maintenance and hiking... they were also ill-fitting on my Neanderthal feet but not quite as bad to begin with and they stretched out.

I didn't think the Impact Pro would stretch out as easily, and if they did, they would give me 3/4" fore-aft float which is more freedom than I can handle. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime.

So I got me a pair of Unparallel shoes... Figured they'd fit my feet just like five pairs of trusty Tevas I went through, as the soles are made using Teva's old mold.

Comparing them side by side, it appears UP used size 11 Teva soles for their 10.5 shoes. Nevertheless, these fit my WT feet better than the Addidas 5.10s.
View attachment 162549View attachment 162550

Haven't done a proper trail ride with these shoes yet but goofing around in my backyard, they feel about as stiff as the Teva, which are somewhere in between the Trailcross Mid and the old Impact. I'd venture to guess they are about the same as the Freerider Pro. They feel about as thick under my feet as the Teva and the old Impact, def thicker than the Trailcross and the old 5.10 Dirtbag.

As far as grippiness is concerned, if I were to rate the Trailcross at 10/10, the UP is almost up there at 9.5/10. The Teva was like unrideabru 7.5/10 at best. I honestly didn't mind Teva's lack of grip but a couple of scars on my shins could have been prevented.

So far so good. Will see how long they'll last.
Made in North Korea or South Korea?