Quantcast

Flat Pedals post Covid edition

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
When even non-sponsored or Shimano-sponsored Worldcup racers use their pedals, I think you will be fine.
That's clips. That's an exception. Not much choice of good dh worthy clips. Especially since for a long time there were no alternatives so people used them despite their durability problems. Also the Stamps don't have bottom loaded pins.

Also from your comments here it seems like CB are the only non desintegrating pedals.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That's clips. That's an exception. Not much choice of good dh worthy clips. Especially since for a long time there were no alternatives so people used them despite their durability problems. Also the Stamps don't have bottom loaded pins.

Also from your comments here it seems like CB are the only non desintegrating pedals.
Never said that. But my experiences are fairly good with them. Couple of folks around here are on Stamps and seem to like them (and I haven't heard about issues). But take my word with a grain of salt: I get away with Xpedo Spry's if it is not too rocky, otherwise I am on Nukeproof Electrons/Superstar/PlanetX plastic pedals (all the same pedal) or am clipped in.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pretty?
Pretty damn ugly more like.

And is that one big bearing taking all the load?
Flat pedals with massive inner bearing bulges just reduce the useably platform as far as I'm concerned.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Pretty?
Pretty damn ugly more like.

And is that one big bearing taking all the load?
Flat pedals with massive inner bearing bulges just reduce the useably platform as far as I'm concerned.
Not interested in them so not a problem.

For now the choice looks like Chromags, Hope Pro 20s, Race Face and Nukeproof Horizons. Deity Tmacs are impossible to buy. Tenets the same.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Couldn't comment on whether you'll like them or not but I'd definitely be taking the Hope's and RACEFACE's straight off that list

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Couldn't comment on whether you'll like them or not but I'd definitely be taking the Hope's and RACEFACE's straight off that list
Can you tell me what's the issue with hope? I seem to have a long list of pedals not to buy but a short one of which ones to buy.

Also any small UK brands you might recommend? I remember some smaller ones poping up.

Also I didn't answer you why not top loading pins - I don't like having issues with extracting smashed pins. Too many bad experiences. I smash pedals a lot

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Can you tell me what's the issue with hope?
Far too much CNC machining instead of actually thinking about the application.
Much like pretty much everything Hope do.
Those ribs for example. they're more detrimental to grip than any sort of aid.
I hate the shape of them as there's barely a straight edge for reference when you roll your shoe sole over any edge of the pedal

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Far too much CNC machining instead of actually thinking about the application.
Much like pretty much everything Hope do.
Those ribs for example. they're more detrimental to grip than any sort of aid.
I hate the shape of them as there's barely a straight edge for reference when you roll your shoe sole over any edge of the pedal
But is the grip genuinely bad? Or is it just annoying they have a CNC fetish?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Also I didn't answer you why not top loading pins - I don't like having issues with extracting smashed pins. Too many bad experiences. I smash pedals a lot
Fair enough. but I've also seen plenty pedal body pin threads gone from bent thru pins.
Try being less clumsy. I'm actually being serious.
I used to smash pedals all the time too. Back when I still cared about the clock. but over the last 10yrs I rarely ever get any pedal strikes anymore. simply from learning to pay way more attention to crank/pedal position.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But is the grip genuinely bad? Or is it just annoying they have a CNC fetish?
It's not BAD.
But
horizontally ribbed anodised aluminium offers less grip in the direction of the ribs. yes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Fair enough. but I've also seen plenty pedal body pin threads gone from bent thru pins.
Try being less clumsy. I'm actually being serious.
I used to smash pedals all the time too. Back when I still cared about the clock. but over the last 10yrs I rarely ever get any pedal strikes anymore. simply from learning to pay way more attention to crank/pedal position.
Gary as much as I enjoy your posts please try giving advice for people that are not Gary. Some of us have different preferences and riding style. I like my riding style. I'm looking for pedals that work with 5.10s not Converse shoes you stole from Kareem Abdul Jabar in 78 and still use to this day and I want pedals that work. I don't care about stupid brand philosophies, too much machining or weird feels. I want a stable platform, that offers a lot of grip and doesn't desintegrate. Nothing else. I prefer to buy parts that I don't have to stress about instead of riding cautiously. So yes my pedals have to survive rock strikes for that very reason. Seriously dude. It seems to me like your advice is to buy not durable pedals with bad grip and to learn to ride on them... Sorry for the Rant but I just need how the pedals work. I am not heavy and I don't destroy gear but I also don't like to worry about gear. Buy and forget unless it's something that requires regular service intervals.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But does the pedal design offset that bad idea?
Yes somewhat.
Is the overal grip good?
It's absolutely fine when you wear magical spiderman soled orthopedic shoes. Let's be honest. What pedals aren't?

The pedal I reccomended to you was the Burgtec MK5 or if you don't have that cash. The composite. (less grippy by a miniscule amount but actually better at taking a strike or rock grind)
Both offer everything you asked for except for thru pins.
MK5 uses grubscrews that are inserted from the rear (like a thru pin)
Composite uses actual thru pins

The rest of my chat on the subject clearly wasn't directed towards YOUR preferences. This being RM you don't actually expect a thread to remain on topic 2 pages on do you?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes somewhat.
It's absolutely fine when you wear magical spiderman soled orthopedic shoes. Let's be honest. What pedals aren't?

The pedal I reccomended to you was the Burgtec MK5 or if you don't have that cash. The composite. (less grippy by a miniscule amount but actually better at taking a strike or rock grind)
Both offer everything you asked for except for thru pins.
MK5 uses grubscrews that are inserted from the rear (like a thru pin)
Composite uses actual thru pins

The rest of my chat on the subject clearly wasn't directed towards YOUR preferences. This being RM you don't actually expect a thread to remain on topic 2 pages on do you?
You would be surprised how many bad pedals have no grip even with good grippy 5.10s. Twenty6 prerunners were garbage for me despite a good platform shape. Their pins were darwin awards stupid.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You would be surprised how many bad pedals have no grip even with good grippy 5.10s.
I genuinely wouldn't
I've had 4 pairs of 5:10s. (still have 2), a pair of spesh 2FO and have 2 pairs of michelin soled etnies camber crank and ride a shit load of different pedals.
For messing about (which is what I do on a bike 99% of the time). All of those soles are all too grippy on any pedal. for me.

You bought...
Twenty6 prerunner
?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The composite. (less grippy by a miniscule amount but actually better at taking a strike or rock grind)
This! Norbar, if you are concerned about rock strikes, plastic pedals are the way to go. Similar to plastic bash guards, they slide better over rocks and don't hang up so much. Also, they are so damn cheap it is worth a try.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
:brow:......... :popcorn:
Not really a story. Failed web publication. A guy threw a hissy fit because some girl in the local community didn't like him and closed shop and dissapeared from the world. I did some work for him so I ended with some parts instead of cash. Transfered some contacts and people to another magazine that actually kinda worked even if the owner was also an annoying weirdo. I have good reasons for not wanting to write about bikes. If I have to deal with weird incompetent bosses I might as well get paid.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Those SB one pedals looked nice until I've seen the 200 Euro price tag
Whoa shit, really? That's up there, the Reverse ones are 70 Euro.
You should try the Issi Stomps so I don't have to be the test pilot.

EDIT- I didn't realize the Tags weren't reverse mounted pins, I thought that they were the same as the Tag Metals Plastics-
1657540486804.png

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Whoa shit, really? That's up there, the Reverse ones are 70 Euro.
You should try the Issi Stomps so I don't have to be the test pilot.

EDIT- I didn't realize the Tags weren't reverse mounted pins, I thought that they were the same as the Tag Metals Plastics-
View attachment 178856

I was looking at Reverse and Sixpack Millenium though now I'm curious about DMR Vaults.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Did you try their milion pin dh pedal or is the Scarab grippy enough?

Also anyone have experience with newer gen spank pedals? I have 1st gen spikes on my dj bik and I like their grip
Scarab is plenty grippy for me. I also run the plastic version - the Chromag Syths. Never tried Spank pedals. Had a set of plastic One-Ups on a bike last year and didn't like them, they felt like they were lacking support/stiffness compared to the Scarab/Synths.