Quantcast

flat pedals/shoes for trail?

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by DH Dad, Oct 14, 2012.

1. DH Dad

DH Dad Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 28
    Probably not a common practice among trail riders but after an unfortunate slow speed endo on granite that broke my wrist (straight over, neither foot unclipped) requiring surgery I think I'll go back to flats for tech trails and leave the clips for xc racing. I have 5-10 impact shoes for DH that work fine but not enough sole support for climbing. Any thoughts on good pedaling flat shoes with decent grip?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Flats 100% of the time, all the time. Clipless pedals are for noobs.

3. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,505
    Well dh dad, you certainly know who NOT to listen to now :rofl:

Any thin pedal coupled with some 5.10s will be about the best you can do. What do you mean by not enough sole support for climbing though? If you're on flats you're not pulling straight up like you are with clips. It's more of a foot angled down/back pressure thing on your pedals. Throw some superfeet insoles in them and impacts are damn solid shoes.

4. kail

kail Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What, can't a guy be sarcastic every now and then? But seriously, I threw all my clipless pedals away a long time ago and I haven't looked back. Though I don't race anymore, either.

5. DH Dad

DH Dad Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 28
    I'm guessing a concave pedal may be more ideal. My impact shoes seem to provide very little support, old Vans had more.

6. HardtailHack

HardtailHack used an iron once

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 130
    Surely you can put a stiffer orthotic in your 5-10's,

7. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,505
    You might want to do a head to head with some vans these days. Impacts are WAY more solid shoes.

8. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 830
    do we own the same shoes? The impact and rennies I have are the stiffest "sneaker" type shoe I've ever owned. I'm a pretty regular white guy though, so maybe "kids these days" are running around with plastic soles.

Either way, you won't get better than 5.10 impacts and a good set of flat pedals with thin pins. I like HT or Deity plastic ones.

I personally really like clipless pedals, but I think you don't give up a whole lot with sticky shoes and good flat pedals.

9. 4130biker

4130biker PM me about Tantrum Cycles!

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 441
    How old are your 5.10s? Seems to me like they get a bit more flexible after lots of use. Maybe a fresh pair?

10. louevilcyclist

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    If you are wanting something stiffer you could go with a 5.10 Hellcat or other 5.10 clipless shoe and just leave the cover over the spot where you bolt in the cleats. That way you get the stiffness of a clipless shoe but the stealth rubber like the impacts.

11. profro

profro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 268
    this...

12. boogenman

boogenman Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 114
    I always had good results with 5.10's but recently went back to clipless. I still use flats and 5.10's when I ride tech trails

13. blackohio

blackohio Generous jaywalker

Rep/Likes:
    31 / 120
    that 5.10 minnaar and the all black version, stiff soles, can go cliped in if you want or leave them as flats.

14. Jim Mac

Jim Mac MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN

Rep/Likes:
    32 / 281
    Just for sh1tes and giggles, I switched back to flats & 5-10's for trail riding over the last 3 months. Your intuition (and advice here) is right - put some orthodic insoles in and ride some flat concave pedals. I slapped my Atomlab Aircorps on and have been having a ball.

15. boostindoubles

boostindoubles Nacho Libre

Rep/Likes:
    124 / 1,411
    Teva Links paired with Answer pedals have been a winning combo for me this season. The Teva shoes have excellent grip but not the sticky grip of 5.10's. Now they have a mid-top for more ankle support.

16. HardtailHack

HardtailHack used an iron once

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 130
    Also you may find the 5-10's that have the fully moulded one piece sole to be stiffer than the normal ones.

I had the original freerides and they were pretty stiff but they only lasted about five rides before falling apart, the new ones look the goods.