Quantcast

Flat Resistant Tires?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
So I KNOW this isn't the right place to ask this question, but I felt weird when I went into the Shop or Road Bikes sections...

I blew 2 tires in the last week on the commute home. (Didn't have a spare tube for the second and ended up commuting on my mtn bike yesterday and am SORE!) Picked up new tubes and a tire that is supposedly flat resistant last night and replaced the front tire and tube on my road bike... There are a lot of glass/screws on the road throughout my commute. Does anyone know anything about flat-resistant tires? Do you think it will help? Other suggestions? I saw tire liners but didn't know how those would fair. Any experience with those?

Short of taking a broom and walking my route, I don't know how to avoid all the glass. There are clearly drunks tossing their beer bottles regularly, and just when one disappears another takes its place. It is frustrating!

K Thanks

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
What tire did you get?

I like to run touring tires on my commuter. They are bigger and slower but pretty good with punctures. You can get them with a puncture resistant strip built into the tire. The Conti top contact IIs are very nice but expensive. I know people that swear by the specialized armadillo tires but haven't tried them.

liners suck and can wear a hole in the tube.

Edit: I have the Contact II not Top Contact II. The TCII are only available in huge sizes.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got a pair of the specialized armadillos. i swear by them. i've been running them for at least 6-7 years. 0 flats. then again, the fact that i've had a set of road tires that long should be indicative of how little road riding i do

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
What tire did you get?

I like to run touring tires on my commuter. They are bigger and slower but pretty good with punctures. You can get them with a puncture resistant strip built into the tire. The Conti top contact IIs are very nice but expensive. I know people that swear by the specialized armadillo tires but haven't tried them.

liners suck and can wear a hole in the tube.
http://www.rei.com/product/724618/serfas-seca-road-tire-700-x-23-25-28

^^got these. My fenders are rubbing pretty bad on these, I don't think I could go any thicker unless I want to remove those.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
i've got a pair of the specialized armadillos. i swear by them. i've been running them for at least 6-7 years. 0 flats. then again, the fact that i've had a set of road tires that long should be indicative of how little road riding i do
I haven't been doing as much bicycle commuting as I used to but when I was commuting daily, the armadillos never let me down. My experience was that the rubber and tread would wear down before I got a flat.

I think they'd be similar to what you'd be doing with a set of liners (like Mr. Tuffy's or whatever) but the advantage is that you don't have to mess with getting the liner in place and making sure it stays there as you set things up. Although I suppose if you're tight on funds, you could transfer the Mr. Tuffy's over (whereas the armadillos are thrown out once you wear out the tire).

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just incase you don't know, inspect the inside of your tire for sharp pointy bits that can puncture a fresh tube.

And if you wanna build up some monster quads, try commuting on a DH bike. No chances of flats, but it might take you a bit longer to reach your destination. The upswing is that you can straight line it all the way. Just run over anything in your way, like curbs, mini-coopers, and hipsters.