Quantcast

Flats and the World Championships

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Do you think that certain riders should at the least entertain the idea of using clipless come Canberra? This THE race, and we have seen some professionals do some crazy things (biopace-like rings) in order to win it all.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think the reason we don't see riders switch it up huge for worlds is because working with what you're good at works better. If they think clipless is faster, they'd run it everywhere, not just at worlds.

Not gonna happen.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
08 results:
1 Greg Minnaar (RSA) Santa Cruz Syndicate
2 Nathan Rennie (Aus) Santa Cruz Syndicate Flats
3 Gee Atherton (GBr) Animal Commencal
4 Fabien Barel (Fra) Subaru Mountain Bike Pro Team
5 Chris Kovarik (Aus) Chain Reaction Cycles/Intense Flats

-ska todd

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i know the past Tour de France winner used a chainring similar to biopace, but what mountain biker has used them since the 1990's?

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I can't see switching pedals being a good move either way. Of all the things on my bike that I need a familiar feel to, pedals are at the top of the list.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
i know the past Tour de France winner used a chainring similar to biopace, but what mountain biker has used them since the 1990's?
The guy I saw on the trail a couple weeks back w/ a circa 1992 Trek Antelope :busted:

-ska todd

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
08 results:

-ska todd
yeah, but maybe if Rennie and Kovarik had run clipless, they would have done better... :imstupid:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
08 results:

-ska todd
So getting something other than first place in the World Championships is an accomplishment? Do you think that Sam or Peaty are satisfied with last years result?

All I'm asking is if the idea should be entertained. Back in the day there was a certain rider who won 10 world championships in row which by all accounts was done by trying anything possible to get an edge (I'm sure Stik could document countless occasions). I just think that it is a bit narrow minded to not even entertain the idea or at least do some testing and data acquisition.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
^^ i think riders will stick with what they find most comfortable.
if theyve been running flats for years, im sure they dont want to change their setup right before the Worlds. it might fvck with their mooojo

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you make the mistake of assuming the flat pedal riders will go the same speed they normally would everywhere else on the track while being clipped in. for many it would involve an entirely different riding style; very few guys can switch easily between the 2. no point getting more pedal power if it costs you a few tenths in the corners.

from what i understand the finishing straight at Canberra is gong to be changed up from what was used at the wc last year.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
So getting something other than first place in the World Championships is an accomplishment? Do you think that Sam or Peaty are satisfied with last years result?

All I'm asking is if the idea should be entertained. Back in the day there was a certain rider who won 10 world championships in row which by all accounts was done by trying anything possible to get an edge (I'm sure Stik could document countless occasions). I just think that it is a bit narrow minded to not even entertain the idea or at least do some testing and data acquisition.

you think those guys never try something new?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001

No not at all but your original post insinuated that no body can do well on the track without clips, therefore riders should switch over to them Clearly that isn't the case here. Yes, riders might do things to shave fractions at Worlds but most of them are not going to throw their personal set-up, comfort zone, and potential safety out the window. Being mentally comfortable wins Worlds. Top guys who have exclusively spent the past 5 or 10 years on flat pedals are probably not apt to change at the 11th hour. I'd say you're more likely to see some guys and gals donning skin suits than clips.

-ska todd

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Sam Hill runs clips for xc.......i think he said that in an interview or something.
I don't think he'll change though. Just throwing that out there....

Worlds Champs is race between Hannah and Minnaar....Gee is the only Dark Horse IMO. Minnaar seems to be able to peak well for pedal courses, Hannah can pedal but is also the Grand Master Pumper.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
From DescentWorld:

..should have taken 5 seconds to check this....i thought it was Hill must have been someone else...

DW:
You're well known for riding flats, but have you tried clips to see if they'd make you any faster? Even if only on certain tracks?

SH: I have never ridden with clips off a stationary bike, I wanted to try them when I was younger but I couldn’t afford them. By the time I could I wasn't having any trouble with my flats and just kept running them. I don’t think you will ever see me change. I have flats on my XC and road bike as well; I just don’t like the thought of being clipped in. I want to be able to bail if I need to. haha

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I've actually insinuated or assumed nothing. I was just hoping to get some other people's insight into this matter. Alot of posters have bantered about the skillsets required of some of the WC tracks so far this year and how they have suited more powerful riders. Obviously both flats and clips have there place, and there are riders that kill all types of tracks on either. I'm with what I think is the majority in that the WC circuit (I'm lumping the World Championships in here as well) should utilize tracks that challenge all types of different skillsets. With that said, I just think that it is odd that with all the different tools available to riders these days, there are some that don't appear to utilize or learn how to take advantage of other technologies. Obviously, I can say the same with clipless riders that don't use flats, but bringing up the Canberra side of things is a little more of a hot button issue that gets some people acting all defensive which pleasures that antagonist side of me :biggrin: .

However, I love these riders that are always switching things up and doing everything possible to try to understand their bikes and gain that extra speed to put them on top.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
However, I love these riders that are always switching things up and doing everything possible to try to understand their bikes and gain that extra speed to put them on top.
I thought your Original Post was interesting and you'd think some flat riders would at least give it some thought....but how many people on here know the exact layout of the track as a racer...?......some of the Aussie guys know it quite well and can probably gauge how big of advantage flats vs. clipless might be.....most are going off of media reports and 2 dimensional video clips...