Quantcast

Flew to Portland this weekend to get a '64 Lincoln.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My brother worked out a deal on a '64 Continental, so we edited: flew to Portland this weekend to drive it home. Nothing says good times like driving a thousand miles in two days. Turned out to be totally worth it. He paid $7400, got it home for well under 8. 95K original miles, second owner, garaged it's whole life. Freakin' original radio works and came with a mound of all the service work receipts it's had done over the last 50 years.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Pretty damn cool.

Does Oregon still prohibit you from pumping your own gas? About 10 years ago I was driving through, and fueled up a little after leaving California. The rather large (understatement) guy working at the station was taking his time getting up and waddling over, so I started filling it up myself. He finally gets to me when the tank is half full and says, "Not in Oregon."

I'm just staring at him, and ticking down the list in my head: Moderation, hygiene, combs, laundry detergent...could be all of those. Turns out he meant you're not supposed to pump your own gas.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
OG suicide doors. I like.
The best part.

OR is full service gas....a little odd at first when you get reprimanded for trying to do it yourself.

The car has definitely been driven, but it's amazingly good condition for being close to 50 years old. When my brother asked for pics after calling the one line CL ad, the guy actually mailed him photos....

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Soooo jealous right now.

Friend of mine bought a 68 that he saw locally here for $500... (Yeah, I didn't forget a zero.) Had 40K on it. Lady selling it had bad memories of her husband and wanted rid of it. One dent in the door, and a little musty. My friend started it up and drove it to our mechanic friends house to look it over. Everything seemed fine until he started it a second time and bent all the pushrods. I guess if an engine like that doesn't run for a bit, the oil can actually glue things in place after being ran for a couple minutes... New rods were easy to replace, then good as new.

I still hate him. ;)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, never being driven can actually be worse for the mechanicals. The guy my brother got it from put about 5K on it in the last 10 years. The car was located in Eugene and it sounds like him and the wife just would take it out on the sunny weekends, which I can't imagine would be all that many up there. They downsized houses and just didn't have anywhere to store it, so wanted to sell it instead of letting it rot outside.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
came with a mound of all the service work receipts it's had done over the last 50 years.
this is one of those cases where this level of OCD meticulousness is kind of nice. A friend of mine picked up an '86 porsche that was the same way.

I'm doing the same thing with my brand new subie.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Very nice, there is one for sale at a local dealership here in Phoenix. Convertible top, red and white, amazing condition (with the suicide rear doors) but it has some lame rims and they want way too much for it.

Great find!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So did you fly or drive to Portland? **** ain't adding up.
What doesn't add up? We flew to Portland from Long Beach, CA. Rented a car in Portland and drove to Eugene Saturday night and spent the night. Picked the car up at 10 am Sunday and headed home. Drove most of the way Sunday, grabbed a hotel Sunday night and drove the last 3 hours home Monday morn.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The car has definitely been driven, but it's amazingly good condition for being close to 50 years old. When my brother asked for pics after calling the one line CL ad, the guy actually mailed him photos....
That's pretty awesome!