Quantcast

Flexibility and Stretching

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So I have had a problem with flexibility for many years now. When I am just standing there my hamstrings are taught and there is no way that I can bend over and touch my toes. This also extends to other parts of my body such as my shoulders where I find that I am unable to do any exercises that require lowering weights behind my head as its far too uncomfortable and unnatural to make the movements needed to perform said exercises. Being a young guy, I figure this will only get worse with age, and I am better off addressing the problem now. So, do you guys stretch every day or something to keep limber? How often do you stretch and when do you do it?

If_Rider

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
Massachusetts
Address it as soon as possible. Being too tight can cause all kinds of problems. Pick up a yoga tape, it will stretch the crap out of you and teach you some good stretches you can do later on your own.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I stretch for about 10 minutes whenever I lift weights, which is 2-3 times a week. It has made a world of difference in how I feel and completely eliminated some nasty back pain that plagued me for years. I do the normal touch your toes, seated touch your toes stuff, and a bunch of weird ones that I've picked up from friends. I have been told by others that most of my favorite stretches come from yoga so that is probably a good place to start.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
why do you taunt us so? :nuts: :devil:

edit
i am a FIRM believer in flexibility. being one that crashes often, the body bends in ways god did not intend it, and i am certain that said flexibility has minimized lots of injury. on top of that, greater flexibility facilitates power generation through a wider ROM, and i've read that as you get older it helps facililate blood flow/minimizes joint problems.
if you are tight now, you definitely need to address it with yoga, pilates, whatever.

pilates is actually some cool stuff, knuckleheads say what you will, if you want to build core strength, which enhances any athletic endeavor, i highly recommend taking that. it will humble you something quick to see what them ladies can do!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
yoga yoga yoga. you will be amazed at how much flexibility effects all aspects of your physical being. start stretching now. the pay off is fantastic. I find it particularly satisfying when i begin to notice different parts of my body bending an stretching in new ways when i'm doing every day things like cleaning or playing with my dog. I love yoga.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
MudGrrl said:
I can put both feet behind my head.

:)
wanna come over?

seriously though. i am just starting out with the stretching thing and hopefully it will be come habit soon.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
check out baron babtiste power yoga. You get a workout and stretching. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and I agree with what Laura said. Seeing the benefits in every day activities is great.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BAH said:
check out baron babtiste power yoga. You get a workout and stretching. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and I agree with what Laura said. Seeing the benefits in every day activities is great.
i've got one of his tapes. its kicks my ass. he gets on my nerves too, but i can't figure out why. probably because he's kicking my ass.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
laura said:
i've got one of his tapes. its kicks my ass. he gets on my nerves too, but i can't figure out why. probably because he's kicking my ass.

Really? My wife and I both enjoy his tape.

On a side note, I read somewhere that the Yoga "community" kinda shuns him because he kind of scoffs at the "spiritual" side of yoga. He's more of a just use it because it helps the body kinda guy.