Quantcast

Floating Brake review on NSMB.com

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
shock said:
Recently, nsmb posted a review of our floating brake on a Bullit. I thought I would share it here, as it is quite positive, and comes from an un-biased, and hopefully respected source.

We did not pay for this (in fact Scott Velez, the reviewer, bought his floater) and we do no advertising with them.

Anyway, I was pretty happy about it, and thought it might be of interest here.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/therapy_02_05.php

Brian

braketherapy@therapycomponents.com

www.therapycomponents.com
Hey Brian, This is Travis. Whats going on.
Looking forward to seeing your new web site. I talked to mike and he's going to push a order if he can find an itemized break down of universally accepted components. Like 1 rod fits 3 frames just with a diff. mount and brake adapter. I will be talking to him and Josh later today.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well I know I was completely happy with my Brake Therapy floater when I had the Diesel. Easy to mount, fool proff set-up, and if you do need any help their customer service it top notch. Now if they would just make an adapter to fit Spinergy dh wheels :sneaky:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Is there a current list of their brake therapy kits? The site is stuck in the last century.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bizarre... I never check NSMB, why have I already read that review? Was it posted somewhere else?

Anyhow, sounds like a good review Brian - congrats. Took a run at Mt. Snow with one of your setups on a Bullit and I was duly impressed.

On a different note, I really have an issue with the Therapy Components website. As a general rule, I think Flash is a terrible way to present website content.

The site is difficult to navigate as well. Some issues:

- The intro screen isn't clear about directing you to the main site unless you have your browser window maximized

- navigation is poor: for instance, when you click on "Brake Therapy", you're presented with a flash demo on converting to disc brakes. That made me immediately think I was in the wrong section of your site, so I clicked out of it!

- you produce a very high quality product, that the amature-ish cartoon graphics and low quality photos don't do justice to. The pictures on the NSMB review show some beautiful machine work and attention to detail - show it off!

Not trying to be overly critical, but in all honesty, I would be very likely to pass over a product being sold from a website like that unless I was really dying for a floater setup. It wouldn't make me want to try one.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
bullcrew said:
Hey Brian, This is Travis. Whats going on.
Looking forward to seeing your new web site. I talked to mike and he's going to push a order if he can find an itemized break down of universally accepted components. Like 1 rod fits 3 frames just with a diff. mount and brake adapter. I will be talking to him and Josh later today.
Yes, working hard on the website, but I've promised it will be done so many times that I'm not going to give a date anymore. Suffice it to say I'm trying hard and I hope it's soon.

I've tried to come up with a "universal list", but the matrix is so frvkin complicated, with bike, brake, hub, rod length, attachment method all being mixed and matched among the 40 plus bikes, it's almost impossible to sort. So we just have it down to bike model, hub and brake.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
BMXman said:
Well I know I was completely happy with my Brake Therapy floater when I had the Diesel. Easy to mount, fool proff set-up, and if you do need any help their customer service it top notch. Now if they would just make an adapter to fit Spinergy dh wheels :sneaky:
Does that mean you no longer have the Diesel? You must go thru bikes like I go thru Theakson's Old Peculiar!

Spinergy DH wheels, hmmm. Last time I looked at a Spinergy (for our regular disc brake conversion), the hub was actually made by DT, and it was no problem. If it's a cartridge bearing hub, and the axle spacer either slides off or has a jam nut and spacer arrangement, chances are we can deal with it.

I'll try to check their website and see if there's enough detail there,or if you get the chance, pop that spacer off and email me a (dial-up compatible) pic.

And what bike is that for?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
shock said:
Yes, working hard on the website, but I've promised it will be done so many times that I'm not going to give a date anymore. Suffice it to say I'm trying hard and I hope it's soon.

I've tried to come up with a "universal list", but the matrix is so frvkin complicated, with bike, brake, hub, rod length, attachment method all being mixed and matched among the 40 plus bikes, it's almost impossible to sort. So we just have it down to bike model, hub and brake.
Good luck with updating the site. Despite what many people think, it is not an easy task. My two cents: minimize the flash code to just the "how-does-it-work". Make it basic html for the rest of the site.

If there is no list, how about a new Gemini (not the DH version, which comes with a floating brake), with its stock hub? And if not, what hub would you recommend?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
shock said:
Does that mean you no longer have the Diesel? You must go thru bikes like I go thru Theakson's Old Peculiar!

Spinergy DH wheels, hmmm. Last time I looked at a Spinergy (for our regular disc brake conversion), the hub was actually made by DT, and it was no problem. If it's a cartridge bearing hub, and the axle spacer either slides off or has a jam nut and spacer arrangement, chances are we can deal with it.

I'll try to check their website and see if there's enough detail there,or if you get the chance, pop that spacer off and email me a (dial-up compatible) pic.

And what bike is that for?
The Spinergy set is not for me. I wanted a set but I'm running a Gemini DH and it uses a 12mm rear axle....and Spinergy doesn't make a 12mm rear wheel that's only 135mm wide so I had to pass :(

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I love that new ad you have coming out, It's to the point.
WHAAAAS UP!
Hey B. Your weathers kinda gloomy coming up. I'll forcast ya later.
(thats twc says atleast)
I need an updated list of compadability parts and frame fitments.
That pic. of Fabien Barel is awesome, Man that video looks like it's sped up. That rear suspension is sucking up everything, you can see it working when he's braking.
Da man got skill's!

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
sanjuro said:
Is there a current list of their brake therapy kits? The site is stuck in the last century.
Yes, the website is stuck in the last century because it was MADE in the last century...

Here's a "short list" of bikes we have floaters for. If your bike is not on the list, give a call, it may be coming

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
partsbara said:
finally there is someone around here that knows less about computers than me :)

no offense intended shock :thumb:
None taken, actually I worry a little about people that aare smarter than computers.....it might mean they're not gettin enough of the good things in life...either that or that's just my excuse...funny thing is I can program in Binary and assembly language (or at least used to), what a worthless skill now (for me)

Anyway here's the hub list...again, more hubs are possible, like most cartridge bearing hubs, if yours isn't on the list, it's probably because no one asked.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
shock said:
None taken, actually I worry a little about people that aare smarter than computers.....it might mean they're not gettin enough of the good things in life...either that or that's just my excuse...funny thing is I can program in Binary and assembly language (or at least used to), what a worthless skill now (for me)

Anyway here's the hub list...again, more hubs are possible, like most cartridge bearing hubs, if yours isn't on the list, it's probably because no one asked.
and add to the list of "not Compatible"...

Hope Mono Brakes, Unless things have changed? Brian, Comments?

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Binary, thanks for the input on the website. Of course you are not the first to offer ummmm suggestions, yours are actually presented in a kinder way than many. As soon as the new one is done, I'll let everyone know so that they can hack it/me to pieces as well. Masochism will do that.

That site was actually done by my (then) 18 year old son, who worked for me at the time. He was convinced broadband and flash were taking over the world, and learned flash just to do this site. Overall, I was very impressed at the time, and still am, since now he's off snowboarding and left the update to me! (wonder why it's taking so long...)

I am still going to using flash for the layout, as it seems much more flexible in terms of placing elements where you want them (than frontpage/html anyway, which I find realcitrant and retarded).

Now, just because it's flash doesn't mean it has to be difficult and slow to load, that's where a little discipline comes in.

The navigation and buttons will be greatly improved. Also, much more actual information in the form of text and pictures to look at. Seperate pages for the disc coonversion and floaters, to remove that confusion as well.

The cartoonish animation seemed like a good way to demonstrate how things work, and generally don't get that much critisism, but I'm attemping to do that with actual photos in a static representation, simply because watching that continual motion doesn't seem to be kind to my eyes.

Now, as far as passing over the product because of a less than desirable website, I don't quite get that. It's not like I'm using the Hadley wesite as a model!!! Oh Sorry Mike and Suzanne, I had to pic on someone elses site....

But really, it's not like their website keeps people from realising how good their hubs are...But, I know what you're saying, and hopefully the new site will be much better recieved, guess I better get back to work on that.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
sanjuro said:
Good luck with updating the site. Despite what many people think, it is not an easy task. My two cents: minimize the flash code to just the "how-does-it-work". Make it basic html for the rest of the site.

If there is no list, how about a new Gemini (not the DH version, which comes with a floating brake), with its stock hub? And if not, what hub would you recommend?
Again, thanks for the input on the website, as I mentioned above, I'm using flash for the layout, as it seems more flexible than html, and doesn't seem to increase download time if proper restraint is used, we'll see.

For the Gemini, or any qr bike, the hot setup is the Hadley with the 10 mm thru axle, really clamps the wheel in there, stiffens the swingarm, and we worked with Hadley to make a nice interface with the floater. That's what BMX man had on his Diesel.

if the stock hub is a c'dale (coda?), it's probably a formula, which means we can probably deal with it, but I haven't seen one yet...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
coupla questions--how much weight will it add, approx.?

also, why did your website include a floating brake animation that was incorrect? the animation shows the caliper mount as being stationary relative to the swingarm, rather than rotating back as the swingarm goes up. i.e. you used the Rotec bike to essentially demonstrate that your floating modification won't create a floating rear brake. :thumb: were you trying to make sure you wouldn't sell any product? ;)

seriously tho i am considering a hadley 10 mm / floating rear brake this summer.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
bpatterson6 said:

Did you mean the Mono 6ti? The Mono 2 & 4 are compatible with the floating brake kits.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
shock said:
Binary, thanks for the input on the website.
:thumb: By the way, don't get me wrong here, I certainly understand how difficult it is to do a massive overhaul of a website - I did webdesign for several years.

Now, as far as passing over the product because of a less than desirable website, I don't quite get that. It's not like I'm using the Hadley wesite as a model!!! Oh Sorry Mike and Suzanne, I had to pic on someone elses site....

But really, it's not like their website keeps people from realising how good their hubs are...But, I know what you're saying, and hopefully the new site will be much better recieved, guess I better get back to work on that.
No, but I am absolutely positive that having a website would increase their sales. People who are looking for Hadley hubs already know how good they are. But those people who don't know, especially people unfamilliar with the internet, might never even learn about them if people can't say, "Hadley hubs are the best, check out www.hadleyhubs.com!"

If someone had previous knowledge of your product (as I do), they would probably not be put off by your website. However, I think you might be suprised to learn how many people will simply click out of a website that they find unappealing if they don't have a vested interest in your product. The guy who looks up "floating brakes" in Google, looking for information, who might be enticed into giving your product a try, might just click out of the site if he's turned off by it.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
bpatterson6 said:

Ahh, Hope brakes, as in I hope they fit....

Actually, the Mono 4s and minis are fine. Either a #3 caliper/205 mm disc or a #5 caliper/185 mm disc will work.

The problem comes in with the Mono 6's. At the moment, we don't have anything that will work with them, but we are looking into this, and "hope" to have a solution soon. We'll probably just make a new adaptor.

For now, most people running mono 6's just put a monon 4 caliper on the rear, as the lever/mc assembly is the same.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
frorider said:
coupla questions--how much weight will it add, approx.?

also, why did your website include a floating brake animation that was incorrect? the animation shows the caliper mount as being stationary relative to the swingarm, rather than rotating back as the swingarm goes up. i.e. you used the Rotec bike to essentially demonstrate that your floating modification won't create a floating rear brake. :thumb: were you trying to make sure you wouldn't sell any product? ;)

seriously tho i am considering a hadley 10 mm / floating rear brake this summer.
Well, lets just say the animator in question (who I've already incriminated) was getting frustrated with the amount of time it was taking, and the pressure from the boss to get the website up. But if you look closely, it's not stationary, but it doesn't move as it should. If you look even closer, you'll notice that the attachment point on the frame moves, our famous floating brake floating attachment point.

But if you look less close, it isn't a Rotec, but a Jamis prototype, that I don't think wwas ever produced. Katrina Miller raced it.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
HAR*DC*COREphil said:
but i changed from a bullit to a prophey, i put the floater on and it seems to work fine, any thoughts.
pics are in " my new ride" thread
I just posted some comments on that thread. But, as you found out, the Bullit and prophet floaters are very similar, but we supply a shorter rod with the prophet floater.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
binary visions said:
:thumb: By the way, don't get me wrong here, I certainly understand how difficult it is to do a massive overhaul of a website - I did webdesign for several years.

No, but I am absolutely positive that having a website would increase their sales. People who are looking for Hadley hubs already know how good they are. But those people who don't know, especially people unfamilliar with the internet, might never even learn about them if people can't say, "Hadley hubs are the best, check out www.hadleyhubs.com!"

If someone had previous knowledge of your product (as I do), they would probably not be put off by your website. However, I think you might be suprised to learn how many people will simply click out of a website that they find unappealing if they don't have a vested interest in your product. The guy who looks up "floating brakes" in Google, looking for information, who might be enticed into giving your product a try, might just click out of the site if he's turned off by it.
Yes, and of course you're right, my comment was relative to me. I won't let a crappy or non existant website stop me from getting what I want, but I'm not quite representative.

But the majority of our business is now from our website, and I know the navigation difficulty, slow loading and lack of info and photos are costing sales.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
oh I do remember my hope rotor bolts protruding too much and rubbing the flaoter so I had to swap the hayes bolts...they're a much lower profile...that was with a Hadley rear hub....D

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
BMXman said:
oh I do remember my hope rotor bolts protruding too much and rubbing the flaoter so I had to swap the hayes bolts...they're a much lower profile...that was with a Hadley rear hub....D
Yeah, I forhot about that. There's barely enough room between the brake disc and the dropout to package the floater, so lo profile bolts like Hayes, Magura, Shimano are a must. I think Hope are the only ones with the big head.

The new Shimano centerlock discs cause the same problem, but since we can't work with those hubs, I guess it's not a problem.